It is time to show the world my finished project! A BTL Y-Wing from starwars.

I chose to model the Y-wing as I like the shape of the ship, noticed that there were very few paper models done of this craft and felt it would be a good challenge!

The model started with myself gathering image references from around the internet to gauge the complexity of the design, look at design ideas and how it would transition into the real world with card/paper. Top, side, front and back profiles were then placed onto planes in my 3D software which allowed me to start modelling the basic shapes. Once I was happy with these shapes it was a matter of adding detail, and then more detail and then some more until I was happy. I had to be aware when modelling that smaller detail below 2mm would be problematic trying to create them in card/paper. I made the decision early that the bent pipes would be impossible to create in paper so would add this detail near the end using plastic rods. 

Once I was happy with the model I grouped the sections together to make it easier to apply the texture and to build, applied a UV Unwrap modifier, flattened the shapes and then started skinning in PS. I find its a good idea to have the modelling software open to render as I make changes to the painted sections, it allows you to see how your design is taking shape in the 3D world.

The following renders were from the finished model in the 3D software.

Ywing

50239169408_7e110eceac_b.jpg

50239169388_2da7b06bcc_b.jpg

Once completed the model was exported in 3DS format to an unwrap software called Pepakura. This allowed to lay out sections of the model to print onto card. 

As you can see from the next image the cockpit section and R5 is unwrapped ready to make. 

Cockpit

I then printed on 230GSM card stock, scoring the folds and using glue to pull it all together. (UHU and liquid super glue). The tubes at the end used XF-80 light grey as a base and then XF-66 and XF-72 with a light brush to give a little bit of detail. 

Finish y wing

Finish y wing

Finish y wing

Finish y wing

Finish y wing

The model is 1/55 scale as I wanted to match a previous build that I had made. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Am thinking of my next project and want to keep to a similar scale.

Am thinking maybe the T-47 airspeeder, it would work out at around 100mm in length but may give it a go. 

The other option would be the ATAT Walker but again keeping to the same scale it would make it around 470mm long, 410mm high and 140mm wide! I may need to think of somewhere to keep that! 

The following pic is the Y-wing next to an X-wing I built at the same scale. I can not take the credit for the x-wing bar from the build as it’s from a Chinese paper modeller called uhu. It was this that gave me the confidence to go it alone! 

Finish y wing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

Still can't believe it's paper! Really excellent, bet its light as a feather too! 

Thank you, it’s very light.

It does have a subframe made from 230gsm paper doubled up to keep it rigid too. 

I did cheat on the bent pipes and used evergreen rods and the windows I used laminating sheets which you use to laminate paper. I have found it gives a good effect of glass on models. 

On my next build I’ll go through the steps in a bit more detail for those that want to have a go themselves. :) 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

These paper models always amaze me.

There is no way on earth that I would ever guess that they are made from paper just by looking at the photos.

I really am in awe of the complex shapes that can be achieved.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, moondrome said:

amazing! and ecofriendly I would say :)    you have great 3d software skills too. I have no idea how to use that kind of software

Thank you :) all self taught but that’s probably like most of us on here. 

On 30/09/2020 at 17:31, nheather said:

These paper models always amaze me.

There is no way on earth that I would ever guess that they are made from paper just by looking at the photos.

I really am in awe of the complex shapes that can be achieved.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thank you Nigel, it can be very fiddly at times!