Hasegawa 1/24 Datsun 240Z Overlander

I had started a WIP for this but spent more time building than taking progress photos so I've jumped right to the finished pics. This is based on the Hasegawa 1/24 Datsun 240Z Monte Carlo Rally kit but I wanted to go with an safari/overlander style version. Would it actually work? Who knows, but I thought it looked cool. I made a few modifications to the kit, widening the track and lifting it slightly as well as adding a bush bar out front and the roof rack, all made of styrene rod. I took it out to play in the dirt for a few pics:

240_dirt-29_1920x1080

Some of those rocks might be out of scale. The roof rack used the lights from the kit bumper, the 2 extra spare tires, 2 3D printed gas cans and a tarp covered box meant to represent a small rooftop tent.

240_dirt-33_1920x1080

240_dirt-37_1920x1080

240_dirt-26_1920x1080

240_dirt-27_1920x1080

The interior was pretty much out of the box with the exception of the mismatched seats that I replaced with a pair from a Tamiya 300ZX kit.

240_Interior_1920x1080

I also took a couple of shots in the diorama before I went and got the tires dirty:

240_sample-1_1920x1080

240_sample-2_1920x1080_2

240_dirt-5_1920x1080

Thanks for looking.

Martin

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Until the photo with your hand, I thought I was looking at pictures of a real car. 

I was just about to say exactly the same thing! I bet you spent ages removing any over sized rocks. Great pics and very well done model. Nice details on the roof rack & great shine to the paint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely model and photos again Martin with your signature superb paint finish!

1 hour ago, gt6mkiii said:

but I wanted to go with an safari/overlander style version. Would it actually work?

A Safari one would - the late, great Sheka Mehta won the legendarily rough and difficult East African Safari Rally in one in 1973! Saw him in his 240Z a couple of times in UK gravel rallies and it was fantastic to watch!

Absolutely cracking job again! 👍

Keith

• Thanks 1

Excellent scale on the dirt.  As usual the "hand of god" image makes it all look a bit surreal in the otherwise very realistic result. Great build too!

• Thanks 1

I really thought your pics shows the original car, until i saw your hand. Wowww thats absolutely perfect scene, your photography is out of universe, simply fantastic. 

Highest rank

You made my day 

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah, that's lovely. Great colour. I love the thing you do with the hand, gets me every time 🙂

Really the only thing I can say about this build is that the car itself is a bit too clean for the scenery. I bet you washed it and then drove it very carefully through the dirt 😉 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

the car itself is a bit too clean for the scenery.

I'm usually super meticulous when it comes to removing dust before I shoot - you don't know how tough it was for me to have this much dirt on it! 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anteater said:

Superb, and it's got me thinking more about the photography side too.

Cool. For me personally, the hobby combines the creativity of what the model will be (colour, style, modifications, etc.), the craft of building the model, and then the photography to make it look as real as possible.

1 hour ago, Anteater said:

Just one question - what does "Stoke" refer to on the front wing?

Stoke is a reference to my birthplace in England, Stoke-on-Trent. My parents emigrated to Canada when I was 3 and I use the Stoke brand for a bunch of my personal projects as well as my Instagram handle: https://www.instagram.com/stokemodels/

Couple of other Stoke projects if you're interested:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/57036183/Stoke-Car-Brand

https://www.behance.net/gallery/57116807/Stoke-Cycles

• Like 1

Oh sure! You're building a car in your garage... just like everyone else 🙂 

Seriously... that's some nice stuff there Martin!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gt6mkiii said:

Stoke is a reference to my birthplace in England, Stoke-on-Trent.

I see. My immediate thought was why would anyone in Canada have a probably inadvertent reference to Stoke-on-Toast on their car, but that answers it! 😀

On 8/26/2020 at 8:10 AM, johnlambert said:

Until the photo with your hand, I thought I was looking at pictures of a real car. 

Same here.  Like keefr22 I remember the rally car - didn't Tamiya make a model of a rally Datsun 240?  There can't be many sports cars that look so 'right' with jacked suspension and off-road tyres.

• Thanks 1