Norton Commando models ...

1Coroner

I bought a new 750 Commando in 1972 ... should have kept it!  Anyway, I see Airfix and Heller, and maybe others made kits.  Any preference among them?  I also see that some folks use insect pins for more realistic spoke replacement.  Any experience or advice?

Ken

The Airfix and Heller kits are the same kit, The Heller 1/8 Commando is a nicely detailed kit but has a lot of parts and can be tough to build like any other Heller kit. It was re-issued not too long ago so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Italeri recently produced a kit of the Commando 750 PR (Production Racer). That kit started life as a Protar model. Italeri did some upgrades to it including replacing Protar's die cast metal frame with a plastic one.

I have one in an Airfix self disintegrating box.

Its an earlier Commando with the front drum.

The parts and instructions are still good, chrome is coming off but I think its a '70's kit

Removing the chrome is first thing done anyway. The tires are still good as well, something to watch for in older m/c kits.

I have the Italeri kit as well , it needs a lot of work to get done and could be described as a little 'clunky'.

And with the materials available today , re-spoking the wheels is easier done . Some simple jigs and a spoking diagram makes it easy.

I had a '72 Combat 750 , with Mk II Amals on it.

Edited by krow113