Panther Ausf. D. Kampfgruppe Kausch. Narva. Summer 1944.

Longbow

Very few photos exist of the 11th SS Panzer Grenadier Division Nordland's Panzer Abteilung. 

What is known, is that the 11th Panzer Abteilung Hermann Von Salza received thirteen Panther Ausf D's handed over by the 1st SS, Leibstandarte. 

These 13 Panthers were meant to be static emplacements only, as the vehicles were in such bad repair. 

Soldiers, being soldiers, and mechanics being mechanics, the HvS Repair company were able to get these Panthers up and running.

These Panther's would fight in Kurland, and then the Narva Bridgehead battles of 1944.

When the retreat was called, Kampgruppe Kausch were the last unit out of Narva, and retreated to the Blue Hills and the Tannenberg Line, holding back the Soviets to insure that other units had rime to situate at the Blue Hills. 

Summer 1944 would be along one, in the east, to include the Battle of Auvere Station, Grenadier Hill, Orphanage Hill, and all of the minor engagements in between. 

When Nordland retreated into Berlin, in 1944, two of the original 13 Panthers were still running and operational. 

So, let's get down to it....

This will be a Tamiya Panther D, with a few extra parts, and some scratch detail. 

spacer.png

11th SS Panzer Abteilung Hermann Von Salza Panther D, S25, rearms somewhere around Kurland. Early 1944.

The crew have all been identified, as members of Nordland. 

spacer.png

HvS Panther D and Stug III on the move in Narva. Early 1944. 

spacer.png

Again, HvS Ausf D in Narva. Early 1944. 

spacer.png

Possibly two abandoned HvS Panthers.

spacer.png

• Like 10

The Tamiya D is actually a very nice little kit. 
Usual good fit, will lead to very few problems. 
Here’s a couple of in progress shots. 

There will be No winter whitewash lol. Just a battle weary Panther holding the line during the bloody hand to hand fighting around Auvere Station. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

There will be No winter whitewash lol

Hehehe ..i was gonna ask

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Just a battle weary Panther holding the line during the bloody hand to hand fighting around Auvere Station.

Are we going to be treated to a small scene for this or just a vehicle...... either way i'm on board :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great start.

It's nice to see that kind of research and historical background at the beginning of the build.

I'm more interested on this one as it involves warfare in Estonia.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brandon The Tanker said:

oooooh a Panther! Cant wait to see how this turns out!

Brandon

Thanks for looking in, Brandon !! 

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

An interesting back story and a Panther whats not to like? I'll take a seat for this one if I may

Roger 

Thanks for taking a look, Roger !!

1 hour ago, vaoinas said:

Great start.

It's nice to see that kind of research and historical background at the beginning of the build.

I'm more interested on this one as it involves warfare in Estonia.

Thanks for taking a look.... There has been warfare in Estonia for how many thousands of years, now ?? :D

Thanks again, guys !!

Lee. 

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Hehehe ..i was gonna ask

Are we going to be treated to a small scene for this or just a vehicle...... either way i'm on board :thumbsup:

I may have something planned, Steve !!

I've wanted to do a hull-down rear-guard Panther for a Loooong time, and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly. 

I have a few pieces in the collective stash that may come in useful for a vignette. 

I've always found this image to be of interest.... (Picture used for educational/descriptive purposes  only.)

spacer.png

• Like 5

Continuing with the trials and tribulations of a Nordland Panther. 

Engine screens are on and formed. 

spacer.png

The turret is complete. 

spacer.png

And some minor glancing 76mm hits to the glacis plate. 
I know they look deep, but that’s more from the pencil point used to form the putty lol

spacer.png

I’m actually just putting off working on the tool clamps and PE parts. 
Patience is not my forte. 

Hope everyone is having a good day !!

Lee. 

• Like 10

Crikey you don't hang around!

I do like your approach, showing the research/inspiration for the build just prior to cutting plastic.

However no winter whitewash to go with the knocked out T34??:giggle:

You're doing great work particularly with the additions and modifications. Whose tool clamps are they, resin I assume?

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Whose tool clamps are they, resin I assume?

If i'm not mistaken (but probably am) there 3D printed...by MJ Miniatures......historex have them Darryl £20 a set they also do U.S vehicle sets .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

If i'm not mistaken (but probably am) there 3D printed...by MJ Miniatures......historex have them Darryl £20 a set they also do U.S vehicle sets .

Cheers bud!

Looked a bit more user friendly then these cursed photoetch jobs!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Crikey you don't hang around!

I do like your approach, showing the research/inspiration for the build just prior to cutting plastic.

However no winter whitewash to go with the knocked out T34??:giggle:

You're doing great work particularly with the additions and modifications. Whose tool clamps are they, resin I assume?

Cheers 

Darryl 

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Steve is correct. Darryl, those are the MJ Miniatures set. I picked them up as soon as Sprue Brother got them in. 

Still fiddly to deal with, but much better (for me) than trying to see and deal with the etched brass, 

Thanks for looking in guys..... And..... It's gonna be a while before I do winter whitewash again :D

Unless it's Kharkov Tiger :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brandon The Tanker said:

I am liking how this is going so far, good job mate! I am loving the damage from where the shell has penetrated the tank.

I have been thinking about getting the Tamiya Panther for quite some time now, is it a good set?

Brandon

Hey, Brandon....

The Tamiya Panthers are a funny mix.

They have the Ausf A, which was released in the 70's, and the G series, from the  90's, and then the D.

The D is a totally separate animal from the previous releases, and is the best of the lot, as far as I can tell. 

The Ausf A lacks so much, that it's basically not even worth looking at. 

The G series has a Lot of inaccuracies in the rear hull plate angle, and missing thickness on the front of the hull roof. The wheels on all of the G series, rubber tired and steel wheels, are incorrect, in detail and size respectively. 

Tamiya tends to cut accuracy corners, for a quick build.

I have a Tamiya Late G hanging around in the stash, but the rear plate is impossible to correct without major surgery, or high explosives. 

The D lacks a lot of small detail, but the basic shape is correct.

You would do much better going for one of the Dragon offerings, IMHO. The problem with Dragon is the price, which is way up there, but you won't be buying aftermarket products for them, which you'll have to do for the Tamiya offerings. 

That's just my 2 cents worth... ;)

Lee.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

You would do much better going for one of the Dragon offerings, IMHO. The problem with Dragon is the price, which is way up there, but you won't be buying aftermarket products for them, which you'll have to do for the Tamiya offerings. 

Sweet, thanks! The only issue may be finding them here in Australia, i have never seen a single Dragon around. Off to hunt for some kits. I honestly never thought that they would still be making those old kits. Thanks heaps! :thumbsup:

Brandon

• Like 1

Just to add a few more options.

For Panthers, don't forget Meng, wheels can be fiddly/very tight if using the poly caps and of course Takom / Das Werk.

(The Meng Jagdpanther I did earlier this year).

Dragon do versions with and without moulded zimmerit.

Darryl 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ron NL-S said:

Love this build!

Nordland is one of my favorite subjects.  2 were still available at Berlin? I thought they had lost all, many quite early on, mainly due to breakdowns.

Two Panthers and a couple of Stug III were still available. I'll have to recheck my references, for the details though.

It amazes me that they can take vehicles meant for static dug in defense, and they could get and keep them running. 

• Like 1

Great work Lee and fine attention  to detail

An early ausf D always has the added bonus of potentially being zimmerit free, something I've always shied away from.

It's a treat observing someone that knows his subject. 

Atb

• Like 1