HobbyBoss 1/48 Mig-17F Fresco C

BlueNosers352nd

Well, I just ordered the kit..............guess I am in on this one.  My first HobbyBoss kit, hope it works out ok.  Probably gonna need a little help with colors on this one, cockpit wise.  Not sure on scheme or what fiddly bits will be added.  Thinking PE cockpit set, resin seat and then who knows what.  Not sure if I wanna dig into the big Eduard PE set or not.

Any recommended decal sets? 

Just ordered it, so gonna be a few days before I have it, plus need to figure out the fiddly bits part yet.

50269158387_15aa4f9fca_c.jpg

• Like 6

welcome along with what is becoming a popular choice, though I think this is the first in this scale.

Hobby Boss can have their good and bad days with models, but generally they are quite nice. 

The PE cockpit and resin seat are the best ways to give a model a boost.....anything more is often just more food for the SEA Carpet Monster..... a distant relative to the European one!

evilBay may be your best spot for scheme and decals ideas...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Print-Scale-Decals-1-48-MIKOYAN-MiG-17-MIKOYAN-MiG-21-Vietnam-War-Part-1/383669462527?hash=item59547b65ff:g:8j4AAOSwFKtfLtVw

Well good luck with the build, will be interesting to see what scheme you go with, plus to follow the build as well.

• Like 1

You can never have too many Mig-17's in a GB for me, they really are a great aircraft.

I built this kit a few years ago for the "lesser built air forces GB" in Mozambique markings, it's not a bad kit but there are a few fit issues to watch out for, notably where the front and back fuselage parts meet and around the nose intake area. As for extras I wouldn't add anything other than a resin seat as you can't see much in there after it is closed up. As for markings you are already covered as the option on the box top is NVAF so unless you want one of the more unusual camo schemes you are good to go.

Craig.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The kit and all the extra fiddly bits have arrived.  Unfortunately I think it all has to wait until next week, holiday weekend and all.  Now, do I dare install the Master pitot and what not before painting?  I'm guaranteed to break them off at least 100 times during the build.

50302762757_956f82c377_c.jpg

• Like 5

oh a man after my own heart....look at all that lovely AM stuff!! :wub:

Mmmm the pitot needs to be done last....less chance of losing it/bending it/stabbing yourself with it!! Have done all those in the past!  :whistle:

• Haha 1

Pay attention to the details!  Sand off the surface detail like the Eduard PE instructions say, don't remove the whole blob!  Cut the resin seat off at the appropriate spot..........now gotta make a spacer.  This thing is off to a great start..............sigh.  :headbang:

Fortunately those mess ups are hard to see in the cockpit one closed up!  Onward and upward I hope!

• Like 1

Pit is mostly done.  Won't put the seat ?grab handle? on until later.  Cut too much off the resin block for the seat, so it's just propped up in their now.   I'll place it properly when we are down the road on this build.  Only thing missing is the pedals.  I messed with them for a bit, trying to roll them into a circle, said no one is going to see it anyway and said the heck with it.

Quickboost seat  At least on this one, Ultracast stuff is nicer.  But still a very nice molded seat, none the less.  Eduard PE Cockpit set.  Misinterpreted the instructions and instead of just sanding the details off the faces I removed a couple blobs before realizing it.  Made new blobs with spare stuff.

Overall I am really happy how she turned out.

About the best I could do with what lenses I have for my camera............I know, we are our own worst critiques.  Not setup for close up Photography.

50335404301_2c23606162_c.jpg

HobbyBoss 1/48 Mig-17F Cockpit by Jim Fox, on Flickr

50335404356_ce92c51d55_c.jpg

50335559897_d6c4b2ca50_c.jpg

50334715108_eec94e9755_c.jpg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Also, I'm surprised at how roomy the MiG-17 cockpit was. You could really stretch out on there.

When you look at some pics, their is a bit more stuff in there...........doesn't seem nearly as roomy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh that cockpit looks stunning!!!

well done, those pedals would have been hidden anyway so don't get too concerned over them.

Thank you!  I had to try.......don't do a lot of fancy PE stuff, gotta try to hone my skills a bit.  But I also lack patience, so that's tough with PE.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.  Got some more work done on the Mig.  NMF on the inside kept fighting me.  Don't know how many fuzzies I sanded outta how many coats....................just for the inside.  Plus the ejector pin marks gave me fits trying to get a good flush fill on them.

Trying the fuselage halves approach on this one rather than front and back assemblies.  Hopefully get the halves joined tonight and start cleaning it up.

Two questions though.....

1)  Anyone recommend some good rescribing templates?  I'm sure some circular panels will be lost or messed up.  Might have some old school circular templates from my drafting days, but they may not flex enough.

2)  Anyone built this with the flaps up?  Any issue?  Not posing the doors open around the engine, so I would like to put the flaps up.

50510053311_b440ac6be0_c.jpg

HobbyBoss Mig-17 Fuslage Assembly by Jim Fox, on Flickr

• Like 5

I think you made the right choice in joining the front and rear sections of the respective fuselage halves together, should be much easier to clean up rather than the joint which would have occurred by joining it the way the instructions would have you do it.

Can't help with templates I'm afraid and I built mine with the flaps down so don't know how good a fit they would be in the raised position.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 7:21 PM, trickyrich said:

you should try these, I've been using them for years..........and I hate scribing!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-tp1-template-set-1--555377

Should have one of these sets here today.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, modelling minion said:

I think you made the right choice in joining the front and rear sections of the respective fuselage halves together, should be much easier to clean up rather than the joint which would have occurred by joining it the way the instructions would have you do it.

Can't help with templates I'm afraid and I built mine with the flaps down so don't know how good a fit they would be in the raised position.

Phew!  Didn't look closely at the time, but I think I'm about 1h 30m to 1h 45m into just the fuselage clean up and that's without even tackling the two front upper and lower inserts yet.  Minus those two parts I'd say I'm at 90% cleaned up.  Just some panel lines (circular to recreate) once the above set shows up.

I'm a little worried about the wings.  Seems to be a slight step.  Debating if their is enough contact to remove the tabs so I can align it all up nicely.  As is it, I think their is going to be a gap on the bottom wing join seam.  On the Hasegawa Spit Vb I just did, I did have some luck with this sheet and some sprue glue gunk I made.  But then the Spit wasn't relying on a butt joint for support only as it's bottom wing goes all the way across.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It can take a fair amount of cleaning up the joints on this one so don't worry you haven't done anything wrong.

If you have a step on the wing joint and don't want to completely remove the alignment tabs how about making the holes they fit in a bit bigger?

I also was watching Flory's recent weekly show.  So wasn't all the time fixing.  Few spots of relaxing here and there.

I thought about something similar, changing the size of the tabs, but adjusting the slots might be easier.  The port wing looks only slightly off on the front and pretty good on the back.  Not sure about the other yet.

• Like 2

I have found quite a few times that I've had to adjust the wing positions to get a nice join. usually is just a case of either opening the wing slots for a better fit or trimming the wing tabs a wee bit. Strangely the more time you spend getting the fit just right before gluing you make up easily in not having to fill and sand joins....plus you don't loose the details.

You can take it to the extreme and try to build a model without using any filler! Can be done, just takes a bit more time spent of getting bits to fit right.

You're doing an awesome job at the moment, keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

• Like 2