Scale ModelWorld 2020 - Official Cancellation Notice

IPMS (UK) regrets to announce that Scale ModelWorld 2020 has been cancelled with immediate effect.

The challenges of putting on the show in the current, rapidly changing circumstances meant that neither we nor the venue would be able to guarantee any form of viable show was possible.

We have therefore come to an agreement with The International Centre that allows us to cancel the 2020 event with no financial penalty and at the same time, lock in dates for 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Further details can be found on The IPMS (UK) website. (update: I think we may have crashed our own website with too much traffic so please be patient - oops...)

John Tapsell
IPMS (UK) Publicity Officer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Full text as the IPMS (UK) Site has crashed;

Cancellation of Scale ModelWorld 2020       

It is with a great deal of regret that IPMS (UK) has to announce that Scale ModelWorld 2020 has been cancelled.

The level of uncertainty regarding the long term impact of Covid 19 means that despite our best efforts, it will not be possible to hold the event as scheduled on 7th and 8th November 2020. This will be the first time we have had to cancel our annual IPMS (UK) national show since our inaugural 'National Championships' took place in 1967. The decision has been a tough one to make but it is clearly the right one in these circumstances.

Over the past four months IPMS (UK) has considered several different formats in order to allow us to host Scale ModelWorld in some form. We have engaged with the traders who were planning to attend Scale ModelWorld as well as our extensive Branch and Special Interest Group network to seek their views on a number of aspects relating to the show. We would like to thank both the traders and our Branch and SIG Leaders for all the constructive and positive feedback we have received.

We have also continued to maintain contact with the Southwater Event Group, the company that operates The International Centre in Telford where Scale ModelWorld has been held since 1998. IPMS (UK) and the Southwater Event Group have a close working relationship, developed over the last two decades and this has allowed us to explore a range of options. Unfortunately, the rapidly changing Covid-19 situation in the United Kingdom during late July and early August has made it abundantly clear that despite our best efforts, neither party can offer any confidence that it will be possible to hold Scale ModelWorld in any form this year.

We are therefore extremely grateful to the Southwater Event Group for offering us the opportunity to cancel this year's show with no financial penalty. At the same time, we are renewing our relationship to cover the next three years and are rolling over our deposit payment from 2020 towards that end.

Finally, the Executive Committee would like to express their thanks and appreciation for the level of confidence and support expressed to us by so many members of IPMS (UK) and the wider modelling community in these difficult times. We are sorry that we will have to disappoint everyone who was looking forward to attending Scale ModelWorld 2020 but also reassured that you  appreciate the work we have undertaken to try and make it happen.

We look forward to seeing everyone again on 13th and 14th November 2021.

• Like 3

I was surprised they held out as long as they did but it had to happen.

Hopefully a sense of normality will have returned by November 2021.

Sad but inevitable. The organisers have to be applauded for their efforts in what must have felt like a Herculean task of trying to plan for every eventuality. Some of the planning may well be useful in the years to come so their efforts will not be totally in vein.

Let's see what this winter brings and hope that we can all return to "normal service" for the 2021 show season.

Duncan B

• Like 2

I'll add my appreciation for all the work the Committee have done for what must have increasingly looked like a non-event.  Well done to negociate favourable terms for the next time.

If anyone from Airfix is reading this, yours is always the first stand I visit.  It's good to see future releases both fully built and in sprue form.  Good too to speak to your staff, ever courteous and helpful, and learn little 'nuggets' of information for example that locating pins and sockets aren't added till later in the design. And zero hour when the next major release is (usually) announced.

I don't know what you might be planning instead.  A 'virtual reality' stand if such a thing were possible.

But I would ask that to 'compensate' for the disappointment, you announce next year's flagship release a little ahead of time, maybe with a Workbench or Aerodrome or even on its own as it is of such interest.

• Like 2

Not a huge surprise given the circumstances. The Committee has probably got about the best deal that could be expected. I wouldn't have gone anyway as given my health status it would have been a bit of a risk, but still sad to have a 50 plus year run broken

Hopefully it will be back next year as a good show. 

BTW, I also have a bath/shower and put on clean clothes before coming to SMW, it will then last me until at least until my birthday in February 😉🏛️🛁🚿🎂

• Haha 11

Hi,

May I applaud the IPMS Executive Committee for the way they have handled the situation. Planning for alternative scenario's to hopefully deliver us a show of some sort for 2020.

Sadly events and circumstances have worked against all the goodwill, effort, and hopes.

I am saddened that the show will not take place this year, but it may be that next year if all goes well Covid-19 wise, then all that planning, revision of plans, working to accomodate government rules, then next years show will be something 'special'.

In a very small way, I am part of organising team for a model show of our own, and know the huge effort expended by individuals, volunteer's to make it happen.

I can only give my admiration and thanks to all those involved in trying to make Scale Modelworld 2020 happen. Instead of some whinging about lack of organisation, perhaps they would like to put their feet into the shoes who are entrusted to oversee the show, and then see how it really feels.

Well done IPMS Executice and all concerned, SMW will be back, bigger and better next year, but we (the IPMS Members) need to support them by doing our bit in offering help, and support to the show organisers even if it is only giving an hour of your time over the show weekend in 2021.

Samuraiwarrior

• Like 4

This was inevitable and the correct decision sadly. I hope we at least get some sort of online event, although it's not the same I think something at least would lift spirits a bit given how gloomy this year is dead set on being. At least I'd hope Airfix will move their usual announcements online (with better servers than when they do the full range reveals in January!)

• Like 1

Going forward( as I always do ) I've booked into the Ramada for the 21 event. Here's hoping.🧙‍♀️

• Confused 1
On 8/27/2020 at 9:24 AM, KITCAT said:

Going forward( as I always do ) I've booked into the Ramada for the 21 event. Here's hoping.🧙‍♀️

That's odd, when I called them yesterday they said they are not taking bookings that far ahead yet?

Terry

PS just called Holiday Inn and got booked Inn, so thanks for the heads up! Not sure what was going on with Ramada yesterday

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That's odd, when I called them yesterday they said they are not taking bookings that far ahead yet?

Terry

PS just called Holiday Inn and got booked Inn, so thanks for the heads up! Not sure what was going on with Ramada yesterday

When I phoned I got through to the Holiday Inn and was told the Ramada was closed but bookings could be taken but the HI could process my cancellation and booking for next year, Also they had all my details on hand so it seems these hotels are pooling there resources.

• Thanks 1