Krajina Serb Mi-8 +++Finished+++

To quote Wikipedia, "The Yugoslav Wars were a series of separate but related ethnic conflicts, wars of independence, and insurgencies fought in the former Yugoslavia from 1991 to 2001, which led to the breakup of the Yugoslav state."

In total, eight factions were involved in the conflicts at some time or another.  They had many differences, but one thing that they had in common was their use of the Mi-8 helicopter (which was I believe the only aircraft type operated by all eight groups).

IPMS Serbia's theme for this year's Scale ModelWorld at Telford was to have been the Yugoslav Wars and the centrepiece was to have been a display of the eight different Mi-8s.

I've been allocated the one operated by the Krajina Serbs (a group of irregular Serb forces, who occupied the Krajina region of Croatia), so I thought it would make a good subject for this GB.

I know nothing about Mi-8s, and even less about the 1/72 kit options, but I had the opportunity to buy a cheap second-hand Zvezda kit, so I did :winkgrin:

The kit looks pretty good to me, with some fine rivet heads supplementing the mainly recessed panels lines.  So far, the only problem I can see is that the main rotor blades have a few sink marks (they're quite thick mouldings).

The decals, such as they are, have come from Blue Rider's 'Insignia' magazine.

P1110610.JPG

P1110609.JPG

P1110606.JPG

P1110607.JPG

P1110608.JPG

Cheers

• Like 8

A great choice Cliff, one of my favourite helicopters and one that I have actually flown in.

The Zvezda kit is quite nice, I built one years ago, and certainly builds up into a decent replica of the real thing. If you look into the Mi-8 you will find that there are almost as many variations in internal colours and cockpit/cabin layout as there have been Mi-8's built so my advice is to find a decent walkaround (there are loads online) that you like the look of and stick to it.

This is a bit of a step up from your usual 1/100 scale stuff mate, how did Zoran talk you into it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Oh, a very nice because rare and obscure!

Any photos available of the real beast?

Thanks @exdraken

I've only seen one photograph on the net (but there's plenty of artwork based on it).  I think the colour scheme relates to the aircraft's previous use by the police (although I may be wrong about this).

Here's a link to the photo

https://www.mycity.rs/slika.php?slika=78013_300185608_Mi-8_Milicija_Krajine(AFM12.92.).jpg

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice Cliff, one of my favourite helicopters and one that I have actually flown in.

The Zvezda kit is quite nice, I built one years ago, and certainly builds up into a decent replica of the real thing. If you look into the Mi-8 you will find that there are almost as many variations in internal colours and cockpit/cabin layout as there have been Mi-8's built so my advice is to find a decent walkaround (there are loads online) that you like the look of and stick to it.

This is a bit of a step up from your usual 1/100 scale stuff mate, how did Zoran talk you into it?

Thanks for the advice Craig and I'm very jealous of your Mi-8 flight.

With regard to your question about Zoran, the answer is "Slivovitz" :winkgrin:.

I've made a small start on the kit, just fitting the rear clamshell doors in the closed position.  They weren't a brilliant fit, but nothing too bad either.

P1110619.JPG

I'm puzzled though, by a stepped rectangular item under the tail boom, which looks to have been incorrectly moulded such that the two halves do not align.

Luckily, I don't think that my subject had this item, so I'll be removing it in any case.

P1110620.JPG

Cheers

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CliffB said:

With regard to your question about Zoran, the answer is "Slivovitz" :winkgrin:

Ha, yes he is a bugger for pushing the stuff under your nose isn't he, and it has been known to loosen wallets!

The piece you're referring to under the tail boom is a chaff/flare launcher, not fitted to all Mi-8's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks @exdraken

I've only seen one photograph on the net (but there's plenty of artwork based on it).  I think the colour scheme relates to the aircraft's previous use by the police (although I may be wrong about this).

Here's a link to the photo

https://www.mycity.rs/slika.php?slika=78013_300185608_Mi-8_Milicija_Krajine(AFM12.92.).jpg

thanks!

that IS an interesting scheme! did not count with a civil one! :)

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 8:03 PM, exdraken said:

that IS an interesting scheme! did not count with a civil one! :)

Yes, it is a little different.  I need to get some further advice on how dark the blue actually was.  I think the photo may be too dark, although Blue Rider (the decal manufacturers), do suggest Insignia Blue.

A little bit of progress to report, mainly to do with the internals.

The instructions quote Gull Grey throughout, so that's what I've used (although I didn't bother to paint the walls and floor of the cabin).

It's strictly OOB, apart from some masking tape harnesses.  They look a bit naff in the photo, but are OK when buried in the cockpit and viewed through the glazing (especially if you squint a bit ;)).

P1110621.JPG

P1110622.JPG

I've also been getting my head round how to de-militarise the kit.  I've already removed the chaff/flare dispenser (thanks @modelling minion), and beyond the obvious rocket pods, I'll also need to omit two pieces of (what I take to be) external cockpit armour.  The chaff/flare dispenser left a hole in the tail boom once it was removed and my efforts to sand off the mounting straps led to some of the other surface detail being lost.  I don't think this will be too noticeable though, when under paint.

P1110623.JPG

As well as these omissions, I'll also need to add something to my model - namely a rescue hoist. 

Luckily there's a resin aftermarket part which I've now ordered, along with a set of window masks.  I managed to resist the PE set!

Cheers

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Yes, it is a little different.  I need to get some further advice on how dark the blue actually was.  I think the photo may be too dark, although Blue Rider (the decal manufacturers), do suggest Insignia Blue.

nice progress!

on the colors, I'd suggest to compare it to the insignia. To me the blue is either the same as in the flag or even a bit lighter....the letter background half-circle is much darker I'd suggest!

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww4/f/40/278/0

some more references to draw conclusions ;)

http://www.drareg.nl/Markeringen/Landen/bosniekrajina.htm

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hoist hidden on the sprues somewhere as Zvezda have released this as a rescue version too and I think (though could be wrong) that the sprues are common to all the releases.

That crossed my mind too Craig, but looking at the Rescue kit instructions, it appears that the parts for the hoist are actually on a separate sprue.  Just £2.99 for a nice resin part though, so not too bad :).

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

nice progress!

on the colors, I'd suggest to compare it to the insignia. To me the blue is either the same as in the flag or even a bit lighter....the letter background half-circle is much darker I'd suggest!

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww4/f/40/278/0

some more references to draw conclusions ;)

http://www.drareg.nl/Markeringen/Landen/bosniekrajina.htm

Great references, thank you.  Interesting too, to see that the hoist is absent on the B&W photo.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 9:49 PM, Hewy said:

Looks great ,Super choice cliff, 

Thanks Hewy :)

My A/M bits arrived yesterday, so I was able to get the cabin windows masked and then the fuselage halves stuck together. 

P1110640.JPG

I wanted to mask first, in case I accidently popped a window out whilst rubbing the masks down.  As it happened, I had no such problems.  It's the first time I've used Montex masks and they seem to have worked very well, conforming nicely to the slightly convex cabin windows.  It's been great buying A/M stuff again - something I can't do much with my usual 1/100 scale builds!

P1110641.JPG

Cheers

• Like 6

Some more progress to report, as the fuselage is now ready for its first coat of primer.

P1110647.JPG

P1110648.JPG

I don't know if it's just me, but I've really struggled to get the major parts to fit properly.  It's required plenty of sanding and a little bit of filler.  I think it's OK now, but I have lost quite a lot of surface detail.

I'm sure all will be forgiven though, once I've got some paint on :winkgrin:

• Like 9

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Lovely work Cliff

Look forward to seeing the next instalment 

Thanks Pat, it's going on back burner for a week or so now, but should then be full steam ahead.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 8:05 AM, Col. said:

Have you had a chance to do any further work with this one Cliff?

Thanks for the nudge Col.  Unfortunately, there's not much progress as I've been concentrating on getting another build finished in time for a Zoom club night tonight.

I have found time though to spray a bit of primer along the seams and to tidy them up as necessary.

P1110654.JPG

Less good news is that a couple of the Montex masks have lifted a bit, which may be down to me over-stretching them.  We'll find out what the damage is in due course!

P1110655.JPG

Cheers

• Like 8

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A step in the right direction Cliff.

I find that a damp wooden toothpick works well for removing overspray from clear parts, just don't press too hard!

Thanks Craig. 

'Fixing things that have gone wrong' is an essential skills set for all modellers :winkgrin:

• Like 2

I'm back on the Mil full time now and have added the undercarriage and the white coat.

P1110663.JPG

The grey struts are still loose (to facilitate painting the cheat lines), and will be painted separately.

For the white, I've used Tamiya primer from a rattle can.  I love this paint as it dries with a beautiful sheen - most un-primer like!  It works brilliantly as a white top coat for airliners and the like.

I'll be masking and applying the blue next.  I've been led towards FS 15050 "Blue Angels Blue", so have ordered a tin of Xtracolour which should be arriving tomorrow.

Cheers

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...