My Tamiya cheiftain has a loose gun please help!

william smith

Ok , my apologies , I accidentally posted this in the wrong discussion , the problem is I built the Tamiya cheiftain and absolutely loved it , however there is one very minor problem and that is that the gun gets a little loose it can hold a neutral or depressed position however when trying to raise it to its maximum elavation it just drops down , I heard this is common in older Tamiya kits as they didn’t put poly caps in the turrets and it’s just got a simple peg that sits in a hole made by the top and bottom turret half , I’m sure there is a way to fix it however I have come here for advice , and have any of you ever had this issue (with the kit not erectile dysfuntion) 

many thanks 

william 

If it was me I would just glue it solid. Some tamiya extra thin should do the trick when applied around the mounting from the inside.

Thanks fellas for the reply’s , I tried the blue tack which sadly didn’t really help however a good idea , and I would glue it in place but I love working guns as I occasionally  re pose my tanks every so often , it’s loose because i couldn’t stop fiddling with it , I reckon I could get some super glue and do the trick where you apply it and keep moving it until it’s hardened and increased the surface area for the peg to sit in 

No worries. Not too sure about the superglue - the stuff I use grabs really well on plastic.

Maybe a small amount of plastic glue, and keep moving it whilst it dries might work?

Is there enough spare end of the trunnion to get a poly cap or O ring on?  Something to give some friction.

Or, counterbalance the gun with a screw or rod into the inside end of the barrel with a weight attached.  Thinking that through, a small diameter bolt super-glued to or inserted into the inner end onto whch you can add and adjust nuts to balance the gun or weight it to a particular angle.

I will try the super glue truck however the thread idea seems a little complicated my friend came up with the idea to put Tamiya filler inside the gap as apparently it dries super solid , gave that a go and it worked (sort of) however didn’t fully reach expectation , I don’t think I got it fully on the gap and only a portion so I will have to scrap away at the filler and have another go , what I have just recently done is pop some extra thin in the pivot point and let that dry then see how that goes might increase the diameter of the peg