1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk.1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

Nope, I've given up - it will be quicker to scratch a new one.

I'm so annoyed with myself...!🤣

I had to scratch a new wingtip light for one of my Arma Hurricanes, as it pinged into space when I removed it from the sprue.

At least I thought it had. Imagine my surprise when I found it still attached to the sprue over a month later.........

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2020 at 08:50, lasermonkey said:

At least I thought it had. Imagine my surprise when I found it still attached to the sprue over a month later.........

I know exactly what you mean... Guess what I found today, still on the sprue?! 😆

panel.jpg

Work had slowed on this build, as I was working to get another finished before a GB deadline... Now this GB is drawing to a close, it is time to turn my attention back to this one! Here's the current state of the model:

hurri.jpg

Work on the propellor, belly and canopy is next, then I can prime and start painting.👍

• Like 2

Quick update, partly to see if the image hosting is working...!

The canopy is now fitted and  masked:

masked.jpg

There are two canopy options - one open and one closed. I have masked both, so I can display the model in either configuration.

The sun is shining, so a coat of primer is next on my agenda!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

They are hosted on my own website, so if it’s still a problem I’ll get onto the support team and get it fixed!

Hie thee forth!

Here's some info from curl. The server is taking quite a long time to start sending the image; 14s in this case, it's been longer. The browser is timing out displaying the  thread, but will persist if just showing the single image.

$ curl -O http://www.matthamptonphotography.com/bm/hurricane/masked.jpg
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0*   Trying 87.247.245.131...
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0* Connected to www.matthamptonphotography.com (87.247.245.131) port 80 (#0)
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0> GET /bm/hurricane/masked.jpg HTTP/1.1
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:14 --:--:--     0< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
100  331k  100  331k    0     0  21797      0  0:00:15  0:00:15 --:--:-- 79575

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Thanks 1

I cracked open the Colourcoats yesterday and made a start on the painting. Firstly a light covering of sky:

sky.jpg

Followed by dark earth in the appropriate areas:

earth.jpg

I have applied vinyl masks this morning and will spray the green later today:

mask.jpg

Hopefully by tonight she will be painted and unmasked!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Yes and no... they do the job but take ages to make and apply!

Try putting them on a 1/72 scale Hurricane! As the old Long John Baldry song goes: It Ain't Easy.

50373077998_7d963f6bf4_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

The decals are on and I've spent an enjoyable evening weathering the model - hopefully in a more subtle manner than my other recent WWII fighters...

Tomorrow will see a coat of varnish to seal the model and the addition of all the small  fragile bits.

I think she should be in the gallery by the end of the week, alongside the Spitfire.👍

• Like 4