1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk.1

Here's the scheme it will be painted in, which is the same as the illustration on the box:

scheme.jpg

Despite being used to ram a Bf 109, this will be built with the right wing tip still intact! I have chosen this scheme simply because I prefer the more rounded spinner - the other option had the more pointed version. However, I quite like the history behind this airframe, so it seems very appropriate for this GB.👍

Work has started on the cockpit. The level of detail is great and the quality of the mouldings is superb. Just one gripe so far - the location of some of the ejector pin marks... The initial components have been detached and the seat is built:

frame.jpg

I suspect that once complete, this kit will be one of the finest builds in my collection - it really is rather good.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice tidy construction Matt B) 

Has the top of the joystick broken off, or is it my eyes/the camera angle?

Thanks Stew.

Nothing wrong with your eyes - I just haven’t attached it yet. I thought if I did, there was a good chance it would break off...!😂

• Like 2

The cockpit frame is now attached to the lower wing:

port.jpg

I placed the top wing sections on, just to see how they looked. The gun panels will be cut out on both sections, to display the inner workings.

The air brushing is on hold, but a dry day is expected tomorrow so some aluminium will be applied as required.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Nope, I've given up - it will be quicker to scratch a new one.

I'm so annoyed with myself...!🤣

I had that problem myself on a MkI. Trop. I built.  A thin slice through the tubular shaft of a cotton bud was my weapon of choice for the spade grip.  Dressed with a fine wire break lever and thin brass tube slice for gun button.

Good luck.

• Like 2

We’ve all been there, but when I can’t find the bit sometimes it’s because it’s gone in an unlikely place. I spend ages on my hands and knees searching the carpet with a torch only to find it’s still on the bench or stuck to my shirt :blink:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

A thin slice through the tubular shaft of a cotton bud was my weapon of choice for the spade grip.  Dressed with a fine wire break lever and thin brass tube slice for gun button.

Good luck.

Cheers Grey. I found some wire that was the right size and have put something together - I’ll post a picture later.👍

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

We’ve all been there, but when I can’t find the bit sometimes it’s because it’s gone in an unlikely place. I spend ages on my hands and knees searching the carpet with a torch only to find it’s still on the bench or stuck to my shirt :blink:.

I’ve looked everywhere, but no sign of it..l I suspect it landed on my clothes and fell off somewhere else in the house - hence giving up the search!😂

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

Its a much better kit and fit of parts compared to the incarnation of the Airfix Spit your working on.

Have my Hurri all together now just go to get the paint on, no filler !!

How's  work ?? 

Hi Paul. It certainly goes together well, much better than the Mk.I Spitfire. Work is quiet, but I have one flight scheduled - a 747 retirement flight to St. Athan! I’ll explain a bit more about that later on 747 build thread.👍

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, Johnson said:

I did the same search once and the part was eventually in my slipper...the carpetmonster was asleep this time 😁 

Hope you figure it out Matt!

cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/09/2020 at 12:07, Paulaero said:

Hope it goes' well for you mate

Thanks Paul, it was a very memorable day out👍

On 20/09/2020 at 13:09, janneman36 said:

I did the same search once and the part was eventually in my slipper...the carpetmonster was asleep this time 😁 

Hope you figure it out Matt!

Thanks Jan. Still no sign of it, but the scratch build piece will do the job.

Since then I have also lost the instrument panel... I've no idea where that has gone, so I think I will scratch one of those tonight too!

I sprayed the aluminium days ago, but forgot to post a picture, so here's one I took earlier!

alum.jpg

I will hopefully make some progress on this tonight and post a proper update soon.

• Like 4

On 27/09/2020 at 09:52, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work on the interior Matt, at least you'll have a photograph of it even if you won't be able to see it when it's complete :)

Thanks Stew, that was the plan!

The tops halves of the wing are now in place and I have joined the fuselage together:

join.jpg

Despite appearances, the wing and fuselage are not glued! Just a dry fit to check...  Some minor amounts of filler are needed, then I can join the major components together.

• Like 4