RIP Flying Legends

mungo1974

8 hours ago, Pete F said:

Can you recommend any in particular?

Try https://www.4aviation.nl/tours-overview/ Pete.

I confess I am one of the tours leaders but even so, they are excellent tours at a reasonable price. I guarantee you will get lots of action as they are run by people who want that too

• Thanks 1

Sywell would be a lovely location for Legends. Admittedly, it's been years since I went there and can't remember what the access is like for the deluge of cars. Would that be doable?

26 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I agree with the location, but I doubt if it could handle that size of crowd

Had to have a quick look at Google Maps to refresh my memory. See what you mean, but still a lovely venue and close to the A43. Could do with the land to the NW of the runway for a bit of extra space.

59 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I agree with the location, but I doubt if it could handle that size of crowd

I have to agree with Red Dot. I was at Sywell a few weeks ago and I wouldn't have thought that they have enough "public" space to accommodate the (potentially) 10 or 15 thousand air-show goers that a new-venue Legends is likely to attract. A very good venue, nevertheless, but more suited to a smaller show.

Chris.    

13 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I have to agree with Red Dot. I was at Sywell a few weeks ago and I wouldn't have thought that they have enough "public" space to accommodate the (potentially) 10 or 15 thousand air-show goers that a new-venue Legends is likely to attract. A very good venue, nevertheless, but more suited to a smaller show.

Chris.    

You have to cut your cloth to suit. A smaller venue means a smaller crowd, and limited tickets, I guess.

32 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Following the revelation that Duxford is actually a war museum first, and only then an aviation museum:

To be fair, he missed off that little nissen hut with radios or whatever inside. I'm not exactly sure as I don't think I ever went in it.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2020 at 12:47, lasermonkey said:

I have no doubt that the staff at Duxford have their hearts in the right place, but I don't think I'm alone in my views towards the leadership. Apparently, a freedom of information request shows that when they did away with the Friends of Duxford and transferred that to Friends of the IWM, of the 5,500 or so FoD members, less than 900 transferred. That went well, then.

I honestly don't think that management at Duxford truly understand its uniqueness and I certainly don't think they give a damn about aviation. Luckily, there are still operating airfields that do.......

Cheers,

Mark.

It wasn’t a ‘transfer to ‘Friends of the IWM ‘ it was to become Members of the IWM, which means we get free entry to any of the IWM sites.  Fair enough but the last time I looked several sites were already free.  FoD arranged trips abroad, e.g. to Arnhem.  IWM does not.  We (FoD) used to enjoy worthwhile discounts on anything, including meals, bough during  skits.  The IWM discounts are considerably lower..  I’m not really convinced that a long trip to IWM North is worthwhile. I’ve a limited interest in anything not related to aviation. 

It always struck me that what made Duxford so enjoyable was the several changes that occurred ... most of which were thanks to the resident private collections (and ARC).  The IWM museum didn’t positively change its exhibits, what changes it made were actually negative - e.g. removal of the midget submarine, the MTB, the Wurzburg, etc.  I don’t know if it’s true that the Land Warfare museum is to be closed but it seems possible (where will the exhibits go?)

MY FoD membership was an annual birthday present from my wife, who carried on with the much-valued gift when it became Members of the IWM.  Very sadly my wife died early August this year.  So shall I renew my membership in 2021 myself? NO.  

Flying Legends was a super show, now it’s gone we’re left with a rather series of IWM airshows which I don’t think are worth attending.

It occurs to me that Bentwaters might be a suitable venue, although the last time I went the access roads were horrible.  But Woodbridge might be suitable?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, my condolences go out to you at this very difficult time, Jonny. 

On the other matter, I think that a little Duxford background information might be required here. Duxford's financial support from the government has more than HALVED in the last decade. In this situation, every pound the museum can generate will be vital to its survival. The COVID situation and cancellation of the BofB air-show next weekend (and the resultant loss of revenue) will be a huge blow to the museum. A very large site like Duxford will require a very substantial amount of money each year, what with staff pay, maintenance costs, electricity bills, insurance costs, etc, etc. Obviously, the museum cannot run on fresh air.

Some people on this and other sites love to slag-off the Duxford management, but it is the easiest thing in the world to be critical of the efforts of others, when you have no knowledge of what goes on behind-the-scenes and only have a view of the "external" effects of a particular situation. I am disappointed about the way some aspects of Duxford have gone, but at the same time I acknowledge that hard decisions have to made in difficult times.

We should give Duxford all the financial support we can, if we feel it is worth conserving. I would much rather have a reduced Duxford than no museum at all.

Chris.    

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, spruecutter96 said:

We should give Duxford all the financial support we can,

If it helps to give social media training to some employees: no problem. :P 

[edit]

And it's really cheap too. 1 pen, and a writing pad.

One thousand hand-written lines:

"I will not insult or belittle paying guests to our exhibits"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My feelings are much the same sad and angry...

Not helped by the tweet we've all seen particularly where it described "a certain type of people" interested in flying legends.

I assume this meant proper aircraft nerds (that's me :D) but I fear it also meant grumpy old men (not me!). I got interested in flying legends when I was 13 and I've been a few times, (I'm in my early twenties and a proper aircraft nerd).

I'm concerned that many of the aircraft enthusiasts are at an age where they may not be around for too much longer and getting young aircraft enthusiasts is becoming increasingly challenging. Generally, the type of people who turn up to "less warbird specific airshows" (you know, who see a Hurricane and say "Spitfire" and leave once the Red Arrows have displayed) are not generally the same type who will reach into their pockets to support the dedicated teams that restore and preserve aviation heritage.

All the while, it's becoming increasingly difficult for many museums to stay open due to funding cuts and perhaps a decreasing interested audience?

My biggest fear is that in situations like this, everyone loses and I worry for the future of airshows and museums alike.

I certainly hope that Flying Legends finds a new home and that Duxford IWM gets over whatever challenges that have resulted in this.

The first time I went to flying legends, as a child, I dreamt of being able to fly myself to Duxford for the air show. I've since got my pilot's license, maybe one day Legends will return home.

• Like 4

I took my 13-year old nephew to the Bristol Aerospace museum last week. He really loved it, and I hope to take him to Cosford during half term. I also hope to take him to Shuttleworth for an airshow next year, which will almost certainly include a visit to Duxford as well. Hopefully I can cultivate a love of aviation; it won't be for lack of trying.

• Like 1