RIP Flying Legends

mungo1974

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That tweet beggars belief frankly. Even if you think that, the extremely naive stupidity to broadcast such an alienating statement in public shows dazzling incompetence in the subtle art of "smoothing things over".

The tweet was posted by Emily Charles, apparently the curator of the American Air Museum. Having read some of her replies to the many (natural) responses to her post, I'm surprised she got the job. Some of those responses come from people such as Andy Saunders, and she's disagreeing with everyone and in a few cases, resorting to swearing. It's all pretty incredible to be honest. She certainly comes across as one of those "pretty young things" mentioned earlier that has come straight out of Uni. I'm not sure how someone can be so out of touch with their core customers.

Link included for those that fancy a good weep.

• Like 2

From how she conducts herself and clearly speaking for the museum, even if unofficially (because she has branded her personal Twitter account to make it clear who pays her), she appears to be well out of her depth. Even if misinformed, she needs to get it through her skull that these people she is "calling out" are her core customer base. They may not be the customers she wants, but they are the ones providing most of the income right now. If she wishes to peeve them all off to rid herself of a 'certain audience' then I trust she has some masterstroke up her sleeve to seamlessly replace the undesirable paying customers with an ample supply of the preferred sort.

• Like 5

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

Agree with you completely, and would also add unprofessional conduct to that list. Makes me wonder what the criteria for gaining employment in managerial roles at IWM are these days, but then again, I think I have a fair idea. 

My employer has a lot to say about how anything I post on my social media may affect their public image. I would be very surprised if hers doesn't, particularly as she is doing a very bad job of representing them, particularly by resorting to swearing.

• Like 1

@lasermonkey

I'll be honest, I've had to re-read that tweet a few times myself. If that is the general attitude there, then I worry for the future. Conversely, Nick Grey's response in his interview with BBC Cambridgeshire was measured, optimistic and professional. Mind you, I think I can imagine Stephen Grey's thoughts.

• Like 1

Aaaaand it's gone. 

IMO Legends' programme has become removed from its warbird origins

This tweet and it's poster have become removed from reality?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Aaaaand it's gone. 

This tweet and it's poster have become removed from reality?

I did wonder how long that tweet would last with all of the coverage it's been getting on multiple sites. Maybe someone is about to get an interview with no tea or biscuits?

Duxford was for me the place to be during the Flying Legends weekend..IWM’s own shows are nice but never ticked the box for me to come over for a weekend...
For me the combination of planes and the museum atmosphere was just perfect as for most of us 

I hope they reconsider a few things over there on both sides..

If not I do believe that 2019 was my last weekend spent there as my second choice of airshow would be the smaller but very atmospheric East Kirkby airshow which is normally held in August at their site...

Bye bye Duxford....I hope you have some interesting venues ahead in the near future...

cheers, Jan

when I was Listening to Nick Grey of TFC on BBC radio cambridge he was Talking about finding place not to far from Duxford so somewhere around that area maybe Cambridge Airport if is not in that Area I would love it to be at Biggin Hill If you want to listen to nick grey go on facebook and go the the flying Legends facebook page 

34 minutes ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

when I was Listening to Nick Grey of TFC on BBC radio cambridge he was Talking about finding place not to far from Duxford so somewhere around that area maybe Cambridge Airport if is not in that Area I would love it to be at Biggin Hill If you want to listen to nick grey go on facebook and go the the flying Legends facebook page 

Fowlmere maybe....???????

I must confess to not caring less about Flying Legends.

Same old, same old every year, over priced, poor for photography, and as for having to pay extra to walk the flightline, good riddance in my opinion.

Only the sound of old engines up close was a benefit for me. I would rather go to smaller more intimate events that offer unusual aircraft.

I am of course also lucky enough to be able to afford to travel abroad for my aviation fixes, and they are an eye-opener compared to what we get in the UK. I don't really include the USA in that satatement as their shows are pretty boring and repetitive too.

Andy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I am of course also lucky enough to be able to afford to travel abroad for my aviation fixes

Can you recommend any in particular?

55 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I am of course also lucky enough to be able to afford to travel abroad for my aviation fixes, and they are an eye-opener compared to what we get in the UK. I don't really include the USA in that satatement as their shows are pretty boring and repetitive too.

Andy

They are an eye-opener as the line-up will be almost entirely different from what we see here.

I have attended a few shows in Europe. The biennial AirPower event in Austria is superb, and some of the French AF/Navy shows can be very good. And the Axalp live firing days in Switzerland have to be top of the tree -if the weather plays ball!

2 hours ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

just Bring Flying Legends to Biggin Hill

And have the Balbo fly through the London TMA?! Mmmmm………..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Andy

Likewise I've been able to travel extensively to the USA and further afield for airshows and aviation fixes, I've attended some good ones at Edwards, Mirimar, Ellington, Oshkosh and other significant ones too and whilst the content can be superb, and some of the military and historic is superb to see, the airshows themselves are rather boring. The warbirds tend to fly a racetrack pattern without much change of speed or altitude, there's a lot of excessive risk taking in aerobatics with Pitts and Extra's and such, the military are similar to what we see here and great to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

I must confess to not caring less about Flying Legends.

Same old, same old every year, over priced, poor for photography, and as for having to pay extra to walk the flightline, good riddance in my opinion.

Only the sound of old engines up close was a benefit for me. I would rather go to smaller more intimate events that offer unusual aircraft.

Andy

What Flying Legends represents to most people is the opportunity to travel a considerable distance to see all of it at one event. I'm not going to drive from the north of Scotland to visit "small, intimate" events because frankly I haven't the time to spend galavanting around all the time, and Flying Legends draws people as far as from New Zealand who certainly aren't going to spend 3 days trapped in a pressurised tube flying around the globe for a small, intimate event on anywhere near the scale that Flying Legends attracts people.

As to photography at airshows, I'm usually the person making everyone uncomfortable by confronting photographers when they shuffle in front and block my view as only airshow photographers seem to know how. One does tend to get early warning of them coming though as they mostly all dress the same wearing those khaki fishing vests with all the pockets and daft badges all over them and arriving in a hatchback with 20 stickers in each back window. It's the equivalent of a Ferrari umbrella only that it comes free with a £2000 lense.

Sometimes life is better enjoyed with two eyeballs in stereovision than exclusively through a camera lense, but I'm old school like that.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Sometimes life is better enjoyed with two eyeballs in stereovision than exclusively through a camera lense, but I'm old school like that.

True. That's why I do both.

And with 20" of lense sticking out, I tend to be careful anyway, and I'm used to picking less obtrusive spots. 

Maybe it is related to not wearing fishing vests full of patches & no stickers on my Alfa 159 SW...:wicked:

• Haha 3

Some people on here seem to have fully-operational crystal balls, as they can obviously see into the future (and predict that Legends will not happen again). Why all the pessimism? If the show can be financially viable at another venue, then surely they are more likely to keep it going. Obviously, there are a whole load of factors to consider, but they have ten months to arrange it all.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 3

Less than that, actually. 
Normally (like that's going to happen again) season starts in March/April with PDA sessions and confirming & getting bookings for the season.

PDA = Public Display Approvals as routines and flight plans will have to be put to the CAA for ever increasing scrutiny.