RIP Flying Legends

mungo1974

That's pretty tragic - Flying Legends was the highlight of the UK airshow calendar. Even if they do find another venue, I suspect it will become a more "processional" show, each aircraft having a turn. No more of the group takeoffs, large formations etc. that set Legends apart from anything else. The atmosphere at Duxford during a Legends show was probably as close as you could get to that of an operational WWII airfield.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 3

Any idea why? I believe that there was a planning application for a service area opposite the end of the runway. Did this have anything to do with it?

John

2 minutes ago, John R said:

Any idea why? I believe that there was a planning application for a service area opposite the end of the runway. Did this have anything to do with it?

John

Dunno if anythings been said as to why...gonna come down to ££ at the end of the day always does...sadly

• Like 1

That’s terrible news. For me as with others I’m sure Legends was one of the highlights of my summer. I wonder if IWM will the gap in the diary with an air show of their own?

I’m an IWM member and I get the impression that over the last few years they’ve been doing a lot of restructuring and so on. For example Friends of Duxford being taken into house’. Maybe nothing to do with it but it’s just an observation. 

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, we've already seen the best airshows we're ever likely to see - changes to display regulations, insurance premiums etc. have turned the airshow season in the UK to a mere shadow of its former self. I'm pretty sure "exciting changes" is code for less flying ☹️

Cheers

Colin

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I stopped being a Friend Of Duxford around 20 years ago, as I became convinced that the leadership was only concerned with becoming a nice, shiny tourist attraction and couldn't care less about aviation enthusiasts. Nothing I have seen since has done anything to change my mind.

• Like 1

It might actually be held in a better venue where you don't have to stare at the sun all day long. Plus with the museum attraction on site not being a draw could it end up being cheaper too?

I have not gone for the past few years as each year was morphing into each with little different.

• Like 2

Trying to be positive a moment what alternative venues could there be?  Would somewhere like Cosford be interested?  I confess to knowing absolutely nothing on venues and suitability but I am sure there are members who do and can maybe suggest options

• Like 1

Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't quite figure this one out. I assume this was IWMs decision, and if so, then it feels like a bit of an own goal. Either way, this is pretty grim news.

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Trying to be positive a moment what alternative venues could there be?  Would somewhere like Cosford be interested?  I confess to knowing absolutely nothing on venues and suitability but I am sure there are members who do and can maybe suggest options

That's a tough one. All I can think of are all the airfields we've lost. West Malling would have made a great venue again if it hadn't been buried under another housing estate.

Steve

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Is North Weald still operational? It used to hold some really nice airshows back in the 80s. 

Kemble, perhaps? Plenty of space.

Yes North Weald is still open. Weather it would pass muster I’ve no idea but it is potentially a good venue. 

It would interesting to know the real reason behind this decision. £ I expect. 

I wonder if IWM will hold something at Duxford in its place?

James

It might have come down to £££, but maybe the prospects of rearranging everything covid-wise also had something to do with it.
Bit sad now.. IWMs BoB airshow 2020 is also a no-go due to quarantine rules. And I don't expect things to become easier for some time yet.

[edit]

From the same FB post, a reply from IWM:

Imperial War Museum Duxford

We’d just like to say a big thank you to The Fighter Collection for entertaining audiences with us over the last 30 years.

We’re absolutely confident that Flying Legends will continue to wow audiences, while TFC will remain a highly valued partner at IWM Duxford and we are delighted that its collection of amazing aircraft will remain on site and continue to be displayed throughout the year.

Thanks again from everyone at IWM Duxford.

• Like 1

New venue........................... Manston......??????

Well it is empty at the moment and just been approved to reinstate flying again.

Dick

2 minutes ago, jenko said:

New venue........................... Manston......??????

Well it is empty at the moment and just been approved to reinstate flying again.

Dick

Except it will be full of lorries waiting to cross the channel next year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wamwig said:

Except it will be full of lorries waiting to cross the channel next year!

Raised runway . Land the plane on a lorry. Should be good seeing the Reds doing it. A lorry each .:tease:

They are actually looking at lorry parks off the M20.

Dick

I sincerely hope that they find the space for a good venue as big as the Flying Legends or as the Great Warbirds display at West Malling in the past...

I came every year to Duxford for my one real kick in the year......East Kirkby would be nice but they only can have 5000 visitors on a show day....North Weald is difficult as it is also in use by different company’s not related with aviation....so maybe we can have a bigger Shuttleworth show then..Biggin Hill can be a viable option...

In the end I don’t see this ending up in a better show, but hey who knows....

cheers, Jan

58 minutes ago, jenko said:

Raised runway . Land the plane on a lorry. Should be good seeing the Reds doing it. A lorry each .:tease:

They are actually looking at lorry parks off the M20.

Dick

Apparently they are also looking at Manston

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/new-sites-earmarked-for-brexit-lorry-parks-231008/

2 hours ago, wamwig said:

You want to see what they have done to the airfield. All the roads around it are perfect.

Good for us residents. But not if they have to use it.

Dick