Best spray booth?

coolingthunder

Hi all,

Moving to a new place soon, will finally have my own basement corner with a bench and a ventilation hole right above where I can insert a hose from a spray booth. 

I spray the good stuff (the kind that makes your lungs shrivel at the mere thought of inhaling it), but apparently not all spray booths can handle the fumes these products give off (i.e. they can go boom or whoosh). I spray Mr. Paint, Zero Paints, 2K lacquer and also use rattlecan varnish, along with Tamiya and Hunze acrylics. 

Does anybody have recommendations for me that don't cost an arm and a leg? Had a look at a Benchvent, but those are quite steeply priced, and the budget doesn't quite stretch there at the moment.

DIY is also an option, I am a bit handy and have basic hand tools and a Dremel at my disposal.

Hi,  The best one around really is the   Graphic air / Benchvent   A300S-D

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/graphicair-a300s-d--plus-spare-filter-offer-11996-p.asp

It has a sealed motor so flammable liquids can be used, a large roughly A2 sized filter and a 2metre hose (longer on request) to vent the  particles and gasses out of the room.

It also has a life time warranty.  I have had mine for more than 20 years, they are made to order in the UK.  

If you make your own and don't use a suitable motor, then  your house insurance would not cover you if there was a flashback fire.

This is usually the same with the cheap Chinese extractors.  Check the instructions before you buy. 

Just read the paints you will be using,  you really need a good extractor and the right sort of face mask.

Paul

Edited by little-cars

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Already had a good mask (3M full face with ABEK10 filters and additional particulate filters) but was in a well enough ventilated room before. 

Was hoping maybe I could find a Benchvent alternative for a bit cheaper (moving is expensive!), But if nothing else I will have to scrounge up the cash for it. 

Better safe than sorry and all that.

• Like 1

Have a search on BM for home made ones using cooker hoods, don't think anyone of them have had fires/explosions as yet, Mike who owns the forum uses one

I have a Graphic air and it's brilliant, but have probably voided my house insurance then, as I don't use their rip off filters but the equivalent type of stuff they use in theirs, purchased on a roll from a car booth spraying supplier at a fraction of the cost 😀

On 25/08/2020 at 16:34, colin said:

Have a search on BM for home made ones using cooker hoods, don't think anyone of them have had fires/explosions as yet, Mike who owns the forum uses one

I have a Graphic air and it's brilliant, but have probably voided my house insurance then, as I don't use their rip off filters but the equivalent type of stuff they use in theirs, purchased on a roll from a car booth spraying supplier at a fraction of the cost 😀

You won't invalidate the house insurance by using non manufacturer filters. It's the motor being shielded against sparks from flammables that matters. I also make my own filters using the same materials that the original ones are made from at a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

You won't invalidate the house insurance by using non manufacturer filters. It's the motor being shielded against sparks from flammables that matters. I also make my own filters using the same materials that the original ones are made from at a fraction of the cost. 

And a cooker hood by the very nature will have a sheilded type fitted, ie non brush type motor

When using them as extractors for spraying or as a cooker hood

Now 40yrs in the home appliance repair for a major manufacturer and I've never come across any reports, or seen anything in the incident pages from fire reports we get from investigators when domestic appliances have fires

• 1 month later...

okay, sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I haven't had much time to think about this.

After doing some searching, it seems opinions are quite divided, but I think I have found a relatively safe solution.

I have found some brushless AC extractor motors, which seems to me should be safe?

Brushless motors shouldn't really produce sparks, and most people who use home-built solutions just say to make sure to switch the fan on before you start spraying so there is not yet a build-up of fumes present which could be hazardous.