Across the Pond in a Triple Seven

50264828246_acae592b37_b.jpg

Good evening everyone! I hope you're all keeping well?

After almost 5 weeks of work (and more money than I should probably admit to) I've finally completed my rendition of an American Airlines Boeing 777-300ER in 1:144 scale:

50264827856_aa9aba50d4_b.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could write a lot about this build (and I have on the Work in Progress thread), but I shall try and keep it relatively short and sweet.

Just over a year ago I took my first flight, in an attempt to get over my fear of both flying and heights. In the space of 2 weeks I'd been on 6 flights and it was on the 7th flight that I had the pleasure of flying on the Boeing 777. We were originally supposed to fly back with British Airways but delays caused by the weather meant we ended up catching an American Airlines flight the next day.

The flight was incredible- there was very little turbulence, the views were unbeatable, the crew were friendly and the flight was empty (so plenty of opportunity to move around). The thing which captured my attention about the 777 was its size. It's comparatively gargantuan!

Although we flew on a 777-223(ER), I didn't fancy modifying the Revell 1:144 -300ER kit dramatically- except for doing a bit of scratchbuilding and using Pas-Decals decals for the AA scheme. On that note, many of the lumps, bumps and antennae are placed as per the instruction sheet and are likely not 100% representative of where they are on the real thing. But despite this being my first airliner kit in a long while, and my first real attempt at using rattle cans, I really enjoyed this build.

50265007757_6bc7e66e1d_b.jpg

50264169843_3ca4facbdc_b.jpg

50264821866_b565b9575d_b.jpg

50264826731_c51af4bdaa_b.jpg

50264825526_f8e7c9b6f4_b.jpg

50264172088_073376f2c1_b.jpg

50264171898_90c5c35e53_b.jpg

50264170608_1567ef539c_b.jpg

50264824741_75ef91bbb3_b.jpg

50265007017_7afa7ba558_b.jpg

50264170278_14484ea48b_b.jpg

50264824021_7201b6e6bf_b.jpg

50264820476_205002fb15_b.jpg

50265009347_c132f8a586_b.jpg

50264828071_c122fa3abc_b.jpg

Look at the size of it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there we are then. The base is only temporary, as I'd like to have something a bit more structurally sound than a cardboard box, but hey it works.

As I said previously, this build has been an immense amount of fun to work on and although I'm pleased with how it's come out, I am even more satisfied with the skills that I've had the chance to develop along the way.

I had planned for this to be my last project prior to starting back at university (again!) but naturally the situation has since changed and I should be able to get away with commuting. The next project might just be a certain venerable workhorse that had (until recently) served with distinction as part of the British Airways fleet... ;)

Thank you so much for following along, and dropping by to have a look. See you on the next one!

All the best,

Sam

• Like 40
  • Thanks 3

Great build and a great presentation! :goodjob:

Regarding the presentation I particularly like the idea with the shadowy figure to indicate the scale! :)

This is an aspect all too often overlooked! 

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

Read through your WIP, awesome detailing! I have to admit I'm a little disappointed you didn't go ahead and scratch build a whole airport for it ;)

If there's one thing I noticed from your pictures though, the nose gear should be completely vertical aka perpendicular to the ground, unlike some planes that have it tilted forward (A320 for one). 

• Thanks 1

What a beautiful job you have done!  Love the 777 and you have done her justice here.  I like the idea of opening up a couple doors as you have, not commonly seen but I think it really adds to the sense of scale ( and nicely executed too).

• Thanks 1

Gosh, thank you all ever so much for your very kind comments! 😊

On 8/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, mitchem said:

That’s an absolute peach Sam, and I’m loving the temporary base. 👍👍

If you’re going to build kits like this, could I suggest you fly more often? 😁

mike

Haha, I might have to take up your suggestion, hopefully, in the not-too-distant future!

Flight in a Spitfire, "research trip/modelling inspiration", tomato, tomahto 😄 I've got an AA A320, a BA 747 and a CM Airlines Embraer EMB 110 on the list so far.

On 8/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, wanthony said:

Read through your WIP, awesome detailing! I have to admit I'm a little disappointed you didn't go ahead and scratch build a whole airport for it ;)

If there's one thing I noticed from your pictures though, the nose gear should be completely vertical aka perpendicular to the ground, unlike some planes that have it tilted forward (A320 for one). 

It was very very tempting, I have to say. I almost did build the jetway but I ran out of plasticard to do it, sadly.

Ah strewth, consider that a lesson well and truly learnt for next time. (And I would definitely be up for doing another 777, probably a BA example as it means I won't have the added stress of trying to replicate the AA silver colour!)

On 8/25/2020 at 5:35 PM, SAT69 said:

Gorgeous build and I love the detailing. The Revell kit is a Zvezda rebox, is it not?

Thank you! And I believe it is, yes :)

That absolutely beautifully turned out, love the base and how you've depicted the size of the 777, very clever and original all round. The AA scheme really suits the 777 too.

Eng

• Thanks 1

Hi Sam! Well this beauty gets a WOW!! Has to be one of the finer 777s I’ve seen posted anywhere. How on earth did I miss the WIP??? Dave says it so accurately, that your WIP is indeed a masterclass. Loved perusing through, reading the story, and studying your techniques for completing such a beautiful build. Thank you for sharing. I have a Revell and Zvezda 777-300 in my stash, wanting to reserve one of them for an American Airlines livery. I am most certain that I’ll return to your example to lead me through the process. WOW!! :worthy:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

This is quite simply awesome!

Superb scratch building and finish. With your skills there is no reason why you couldn't have converted the kit to a -200. It is a very easy conversion requiring a simple fuselage shortening, wingtips reshaping and replacement engines.

Congratulations on one of the best model airliners I've seen for a long time and on conquering your gear of flying!

Cheers,

Ian

Outstanding build, the open cargo compartments are a very original touch. Like Ian I think you surely have the skills to shorten the fuselage, it might be nice to add a -200 to the collection.

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

This is just a magnificent build. Your scratch built embellishments are superb. Agree the 777 is a sensational aircraft.

I would like to do one with Air New Zealand livery. We were lucky enough to fly their black and white version from Auckland to San Francisco. Amazing aircraft