O-2B

Julien

Julien,

I will see if I can find some photos- will post them here. You probably already found this in your research but the O-2B's had spinners on both the front and rear props, unlike the O-2A's which had none over the prop hubs. Three loudspeakers and one leaflet dispenser were fitted, on the RH side, IIRC. I think 31 examples were built, converted from the civilian model 337 Skymaster.

Mike

Found this photo of a preserved O-2B- I think that is the leaflet dispenser bin on the RH side behind the door, but it could be the speaker cabinet with the three speakers stacked vertically. Photo via Skytamer.

5233.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
added link

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I think the leaflets went out through a chute on the underside.

James,

After I posted the photo and re-examined it, I came to the same conclusion that the leaflets must have been dropped out of the bottom. Kinda wish now I hadn't gotten rid of my Arii kit a long time ago, as an O-2B would be a neat modeling subject. That's a great photo and text, BTW!

Mike 

• Like 1

There is some information (albeit not a lot) in this Cessna brochure showing the position of the leaflet dispenser within the cabin  -  https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Historical-Library/Cessna/O-2-Skymaster  -  but nothing else on the configuration of the cabin as to how much space was taken up internally by the speaker system , was there a similar equipment rack as carried on the O-2A , if so was the tape system part of this or was there another arrangement or maybe even just an eight-track slotted into the control panel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was looking for something completely unrelated today but came across a colour image in 'Warplane' Part 52 of a camouflaged O-2B with loudspeaker and leaflet dispenser but without prop spinners to either front or rear , serial reads as 21450 and caption describes it as serving with the 9th. SOS at Nha Trang.

• Like 1

Yes leaflets went out the underside, Some of these had spinners, some did not. There is some good info on the decal sheet from AOA, thanks to @Des for helping me out as well.

JUlien

• Like 1

As mentioned, the spinners were optional on the B.

Here's two similar views of the speaker assembly on 21458 in Vietnam (no spinners on this aircraft and no fuselage national insignia either):

O-2B.jpg

On 8/24/2020 at 10:42 PM, Patrick Martin said:

The real big modelling difference is the glass on the port side.

Other than the later O-2As that had the enlarged windows to my knowledge the B's had the same port window as the original/early As. Both 1/48 ICM and 1/32 Roden kits have the early small portside window.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

As mentioned, the spinners were optional on the B.

Here's two similar views of the speaker assembly on 21458 in Vietnam (no spinners on this aircraft and no fuselage national insignia either):

O-2B.jpg

Other than the later O-2As that had the enlarged windows to my knowledge the B's had the same port window as the original/early As. Both 1/48 ICM and 1/32 Roden kits have the early small portside window.

Thx, Was going to do an A until I got the Sheet from AOA and that sparked my interest in the B

• 5 weeks later...