Seedrache (Sea Dragon) floatplane

This one is an unholy marriage of a Bell 47 helicopter cockpit and a Cessna 02 spotter aircraft. With floats and a jet engine for good measure.

I'm not sure if the kreiger universe even has ships. But I've armed this with water jet powered 'Penguin' torpedo's just in case.

CyGnbU0.jpg

The floats were from a Smer Swordfish. Other bits are sparesbox fodder. The paddle on the float was Tamiya Schwimwagen.

ruPN90w.jpg

The 'MAD' type detection boom here was a Smer torpedo. What look like paint rollers are cockpit access steps.

TfFuoop.jpg

One of the 'Penguin' torpedo's ready for launch. The white bellytank can be seen here. The ladder is to reach the wing tanks for gravity refuels.

gN0ef5o.jpg

I used a very thin self adhesive tape on the stabilizer leading edge top and bottom to counter the jet exhaust heat.

pa4Xb41.jpg

Sparesbox markings. The underside paint is Tamiya IJN pale grey. The blue and green are Tamiya mixes. The green was simply drybrushed.

Pressure refuel point is just visible on the left rear fuselage. Various greeblies dress up the floats.

ZmJUILX.jpg

International orange tiptanks were suggested, but I painted them, then used micromesh to rub down to the orange plastic to show some erosion.

EqNjC7f.jpg

I've kept the underside clean but added a few patches to the floats. Nasty stuff, Coral. Yes, I'm thinking South Pacific operations.

ETY9hSg.jpg

The cockpit is as per the MASH original build. What was the collective now operates the float rudders.

ApYFOLU.jpg

Here it is with a previous sparesbox anti ship aircraft. This one was 1/48th, same floats but P-38 Lightning fuselage.

yKWzTVl.jpg

A closer look. Probably built ten years ago I can't remember what name I gave it! That's an intake in front of the windscreen BTW.

Here's a link to the builld.

The bench is clear. Goodness knows what will turn up next! Thanks for looking and your comments are always welcome.

Pete

• Like 21

Another visual feast Pete - absolutely love this alternative universe you're putting together vehicle-by-vehicle. The spirit of Brian Johnson* lives on!👏

*not the AC/DC one...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The spirit of Brian Johnson* lives on

Wasn't he something to do with cricket?

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

not often one sees a jet aeroplane on floats and with permanently open cockpit access doors!

I figured if the chopper could do about a ton, then it would be good enough to be used here. Jets don't need to be fast, it's just the Jockeys showing off!

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 13:55, Pete in Lincs said:

Thanks, Guys. It's nice to know that my weird brainstorms are appreciated. 

Emphasis on weird.

Well, actually not that weird really.

I mean it all looks as though it makes sense....weirdly.

Anyway, well done that man and extra atta-boys from petty change!

• Haha 1