Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

1 minute ago, Moa said:

Paper patterns for the needed sections of corrugated leading edge are measured and cut. These will cover the areas that the kit inaccurately left bare, as shown in images before

IMG_1594+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Aha! The plot thickens!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Moa said:

Paper patterns for the needed sections of corrugated leading edge are measured and cut. These will cover the areas that the kit inaccurately left bare

Now you have my attention! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have fashioned a tin foil hat to stop any more of your Jedi mind waves, i already  have two  civilian builds on the go I can't do a third !!!

Doesn’t work, I think Moa has shifted to a different mind wave frequency that penetrates tin foil...

Look what I just bought. Mind you, my workshop and stash are all packed away for a move, so there’s no way I can build this anytime soon, but I couldn’t resist the mad monk’s subliminal messaging!

50284099712_c81dcf5fb3_b.jpg

Three motors and corrugated metal. What’s not to love?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Doesn’t work, I think Moa has shifted to a different mind wave frequency that penetrates tin foil...

Look what I just bought. Mind you, my workshop and stash are all packed away for a move, so there’s no way I can build this anytime soon, but I couldn’t resist the mad monk’s subliminal messaging!

Ahhhhhh!!!

It is apparently the WEB / Reifra molds too, as all of these seem to share under different brands.

You little cheeky...

I read it will give you a little fight, but I am sure you will tame that corrugated dragon.

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

A sample is one thing, but the proof will be seeing the leading edge done. 

Ye of little faith....

• Like 2

Just now, Moa said:

Ahhhhhh!!!

It is apparently the WEB / Reifra molds too, as all of these seem to share under different brands.

You little cheeky...

I read it will give you a little fight, but I am sure you will tame that corrugated dragon.

I’m tempted to get the Master-X resin for this, but I’ve been bit before by resin “enhancements” that don’t actually enhance anything. Still, the reviews I’ve found are good (but none actually tried using the parts).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I’m tempted to get the Master-X resin for this, but I’ve been bit before by resin “enhancements” that don’t actually enhance anything. Still, the reviews I’ve found are good (but none actually tried using the parts).

Arctic Decals has one set for this one, accompanied by instructions to correct the inaccuracies:

https://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=21443/243897

The dear, late Jim Schubert did a review here:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/september/first-looks/Revell_G24.php

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Moa said:

It is of note that it also has normal nav. lights, green and red, on the wing tips, that may have accomplished the same function?

From what I have read on aircraft passing lights, they are used to augment the usual wing mounted red/green position lights, as depending on where they are mounted on the wing, they are not always visible from head-on. I think the passing light serves the same function as the split red/green running  light seen on the bow of  small  power boats for viewing head-on.

Mike

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

From what I have read on aircraft passing lights, they are used to augment the usual wing mounted red/green position lights, as depending on where they are mounted on the wing, they are not always visible from head-on. I think the passing light serves the same function as the split red/green running  light seen on the bow of  small  power boats for viewing head-on.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, it surely makes sense. May be I will find a better photo to show it more clearly. I have hundreds.

13 hours ago, Moa said:

Arctic Decals has one set for this one, accompanied by instructions to correct the inaccuracies:

https://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=21443/243897

The dear, late Jim Schubert did a review here:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/september/first-looks/Revell_G24.php

Thanks much for the above.
The Master-X set provides new fuselage, rudder, and engines but I don’t know if they conform to the Arctic Decals corrections.  And, according to Jim Schubert’s review, the wings are too long and the one-piece flaps too thick. He recommends making new flaps from a donor Ju-52 wing. 
But most critically, I haven’t seen anything about the toilet 😧

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, billn53 said:

Oh crikey, there's no hope then. I am moving to a remote island and going off grid,  that may just do it!!!.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Moa, what can I say. I just came across this build and I thought "ah another Moa build, this will be yet another excellent classic, let me look further". And of course it is just that!

You are turning this old classic into a masterpiece, and I just have to say .............. that toilet is superb!

Carry on with your magic!

Terry

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Moa, what can I say. I just came across this build and I thought "ah another Moa build, this will be yet another excellent classic, let me look further". And of course it is just that!

You are turning this old classic into a masterpiece, and I just have to say .............. that toilet is superb!

Carry on with your magic!

Terry

You are too kind, Terry!

Cheers

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Moa said:

And I give you Bill a sneak preview of the Junkers G-23/24 relief facilities...

In all their corrugated splendor!

(Image from ETHZ digital archives)

Ans_05338-01-256-AL-FL.jpg

Thank you for the preview. But, just so you know, I haven’t been idle on the toilet front:

50287487647_6ab4e2c537_b.jpg

• Haha 3

It works. It's not perfect, and abler hands may obtain a better result, but I think it's worth trying.

I am using thick cyano glue as stated above to give some prodding time (not much, I am afraid) and provide some support so the foil does not crumple if unduly pressed, but perhaps other adhesives would be better, as they may allow for edge trimming and removal if things don't go well (this is not removable at all, even with superglue "debonder", it just makes a darn mess)

I should clarify that to no extent I have "invented" this approach, I have been seeing this kind of "patch" work in many places since I came back to the hobby about 15 years ago or so.

I did not clean the leading seam before applying the patches, so I am in a pickle now. You can't mess in the area without risking damaging the foil. Oh, well...

IMG_1597+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1598+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1599+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1600+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I will have to apply a strip of alu foil to the LE area to hide the uneven seam.

• Like 9