Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

I, too, have sprayed DDT. In the last 5 years in the 70's, I worked at the local greenhouses. There, I sprayed all kinds of herbicides, fungicides and pesticides.

I'm surprised my 3 children turned out fairly normal.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I, too, have sprayed DDT. In the last 5 years on the 70's, I worked at the local greenhouses. There, I sprayed all kinds of herbicides, fungicides and pesticides.

I'm surprised my 3 children turned out fairly normal.

Chris

I am not sure I should tell you this, Chris, but in your member photo you look a bit...how shall I say this...canine? You look adorable, though.

Although it must be challenging to build models with paws. Good for you.

• Haha 9

Just now, Moa said:

I am not sure I should tell you this, Chris, but in your member photo you look a bit...how shall I say it...canine? You look adorable, though.

Must be challenging to build models with paws, though. Good for you.

Trust me. That's a way better picture than the real me. I've got a face only a mother could love and even she had reservations!

Chris

• Haha 8

I'm fine, its just that you keep handing out such lovely ammunition that it would be rude not to fire it and my Mother always brought me up to be a polite little Martian.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The five wing sections are assembled. The fit is fair, without being exceptional. Considering the molds are from 1968, 52 years old to date, not bad.

I'm curious to see how your trailing edges look, after thinning. Mine turned out "okay" -- I've since acquired a set of good scraper blades, so if I were to do it again I believe I could do a much better job.

4 hours ago, billn53 said:

I'm curious to see how your trailing edges look, after thinning. Mine turned out "okay" -- I've since acquired a set of good scraper blades, so if I were to do it again I believe I could do a much better job.

Hi Bill

I would say I am pleased with the improvement, as removing about 1.5mm of plastic thickness (10.8 scale ctms., or a bit more than four scale inches) resulted in a noticeably less clunky feeling.
One pancaked each other for better comparison: to the left, the untouched wing of the spare kit, to the right the current model's wing

IMG_1578+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The work is worth it, I think:

IMG_1581+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That looks much the same as mine. Still, not as sharp an edge as on the actual wing, but much better than before. 

The actual sharp edge of the wing is unobtainable, as the corrugations are not opposed to each other as depicted in the kit, but overlapped, rendering a "wavy" trailing edge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That looks much the same as mine. Still, not as sharp an edge as on the actual wing, but much better than before. 

Bill, you know what they say "I will show you mine if you show me yours".

Could you please post a photo of your trailing edge? (Unless your model is military, in which case please don't)

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

Bill, you know what they say "I will show you mine if you show me yours".

Could you please post a photo of your trailing edge? (Unless your model is military, in which case please don't)

Good point about the overlapping corrugations.  

Here’s mine, Post #76 of my WIP:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Good point about the overlapping corrugations.  

Here’s mine, Post #76 of my WIP:

Thanks, Bill, yeap, that's it.

The corrugated patches for the restoration of the mail hold area are glued in place.
They are glued with slow-curing superglue, very carefully pressed with a soft cloth, and the edges run with thin superglue to seal them. Once primed and painted, you may faintly notice them, but that's for me better than a completely bogus mail hold area. To mitigate the "patches", you may run extremely faint rivet lines over the wing making sections, as the corrugations in the original needless to say had sections, and were not a "single sheet" as in the kit:

IMG_1582+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

Great progress Moa the mail holds look fantastic as does the corrugated foil coverings.  The fit of the Airfix kit was good on the wing and the fuselage when I built mine.  

This is a cracking build and I must now resist looking for another one !!!

Keep up the good work 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Moa said:

Mike, could it be that you are seeing the gif I posted (short clip, moving image ) as a still, due to some settings? And perhaps hence the misperception?

Guess so- my bad!

Mike

@Moa

See the linked photo of a preserved Ford Trimotor; look at the light mounted outboard of the landing light; I think this is an example of the passing light I mentioned earlier. Might this be the intake/structure you described and posted earlier in your build? Passing light were always installed in the left wing of aircraft so equipped. Hope this helps. 

Mike

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/ford-at-5-tri-motor-walk/#gallery[photonic-flickr-set-1]/36225263661/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

@Moa

See the linked photo of a preserved Ford Trimotor; look at the light mounted outboard of the landing light; I think this is an example of the passing light I mentioned earlier. Might this be the intake/structure you described and posted earlier in your build? Passing light were always installed in the left wing of aircraft so equipped. Hope this helps. 

Mike

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/ford-at-5-tri-motor-walk/#gallery[photonic-flickr-set-1]/36225263661/

It could well be, but the fixture in this plane is quite prominent. It is of note that it also has normal nav. lights, green and red, on the wing tips, that may have accomplished the same function?

I am looking up those lights and see what I can find.

Passing+light+2.jpg

Passing+light.jpg

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

passing light

It is indeed mentioned in a number of planes' descriptions, strangely enough sometimes located in the nose, or together with the landing light.

It may well be that, but protrudes a lot.

I will add the fixture but will leave it "unlighted" until further research confirms what it was.

Thanks for chipping in with the info.

Cheers