Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

Tabs are added for strength, since work needs to be done on the other side later on:

IMG_1527+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

More reinforcements:

IMG_1528+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The other mail hold part is cut to obtain the size needed for this specific build:

IMG_1529+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The "leftover" section is glued to the wing:

IMG_1530+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

It should look like this, but the modified area has to be blended-in, which is going to be quite the challenge:

IMG_1531+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A tab on the part that holds the kit part that poorly represents the sides needs removal:

IMG_1532+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

There. The new side frames and wire net need to be added, plus some ancillaries missed by the kit:

IMG_1533+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13

The flange on the cut side had to be recreated, removing a narrow band of corrugations:

IMG_1534+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The hold was boxed with styrene sheet, and as a "roof" corrugations were made and glued to the other wing half:

IMG_1535+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

So this is how it will look (all this will be barely visible once the mail "drawer" is in):

IMG_1536+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 16

Impressive work on the mail hold.  I trust you lined up the concave and convex corrugations on the interior to match the outside :wicked:

AW

• Haha 5

@Moa

I can't wait to see the 1/72  packages and mailbags that you are going to put in the mail hold; also can't wait to see what 1/72 twine and postage meter stamps look like! Going to use a piece of ladies hose for the netting? :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@Moa

I can't wait to see the 1/72  packages and mailbags that you are going to put in the mail hold; also can't wait to see what 1/72 twine and postage meter stamps look like! Going to use a piece of ladies hose for the netting? :giggle:

Mike

Didn't you hear? the Post Office is being sabotaged by the administration for nefarious ends, producing long delays and undelivered mail as a result.

I am afraid there was no mail to carry!

Instead, Argentinian coconuts will be loaded. I can only image the noise they will be making rattling around in that tin can.

They will be the uninvited maraca to that tango.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

And here is it. The tailwheel, by the way, had spokes on this one, so an O ring is separated:

IMG_1549+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The SACO plane had a strange feature in the left wing, a cone in the shape of a fish mouth, perhaps another light (the Wylam plan has a signal light there, but no protruding faring), maybe an air intake. Whatever it is, is reproduced:

IMG_1543+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1545+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The tail parts are drilled for the rigging. Their coarse control horns are re-shaped and thinned-down:

IMG_1546+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

you left me hanging with the tail wheel... after the o-ring, then what?

P.E. spokes and a scratch structure. This is becoming fast a forking paths nightmare. One little bit leads to five others. Drat!

I just looked at how the tailwheel really is. I shouldn't have!

Cable guides: pft! easy-peasy; small diameter alu tube sections mounted on thin steel wire lengths. It's all wonderfully simple in my mind.

Hey, don't grab the model by the fuselag... I told you not to, damn it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Moa said:

P.E. spokes and a scratch structure. This is becoming fast a forking paths nightmare. One little bit leads to five others. Drat!

I just looked at how the tailwheel really is. I shouldn't have!

Cable guides: pft! easy-peasy; small diameter alu tube sections mounted on thin steel wire lengths. It's all wonderfully simple in my mind.

Hey, don't grab the model by the fuselag... I told you not to, damn it!

Not just the tail wheel, but also the tail wheel strut.

I tried doing cable guides like you are thinking, but it was too fiddly for my fat fingers. So, I cheated a bit.

The control lines back to the empennage are almost impossible to see against the corrugated background, so the danger of grabbing the model by the fuselage is real. Wingtips only for this bird.

• Like 1

You never know what may turn up from the dungeons: I had yet another kit of the trimotor, also with missing parts. The fact that Airfix then did not bag the contents, the parts would come from the sprues as mature fruit a week after molding, and that the boxes tended to self-destruct, did not help much with kit integrity:

IMG_1560+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

If you have found flash in your parts, no worries, a Flash Service is offered. I think it consists of Gumbies coming to your home with sandsticks and hurting brains. But first you have to learn a foreign language:

IMG_1561+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Yet another set of poorly printed decals:

IMG_1562+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The person in charge of quality control was too busy watching "The Avengers" on TV (the real ones, with Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg, not the shallow, pumped, go-nowhere, produced to fill your head with popcorn) and missed checking the printing color register, that is there to show if things go wrong (they did):

IMG_1563+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I have two of these Airfix kits. One I had for a number of years but had never checked the contents. When I did, I discovered it had no clear parts. Luckily, I found another one soon after that did have all the parts. Just a years or so ago, I sent a fuselage half to someone who needed it, but I still have one complete kit.

Chris

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I have two of these Airfix kits. One I had for a number of years but had never checked the contents. When I did, I discovered it had no clear parts. Luckily, I found another one soon after that did have all the parts. Just a years or so ago, I sent a fuselage half to someone who needed it, but I still have one complete kit.

Chris

Chris: it's telling you in a tiny 1/72nd voice "build me...build me...)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Moa said:

Chris: it's telling you in a tiny 1/72nd voice "build me...build me...)

If I do, it won't be a civilian job, just so you know.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Moa said:

Now it's telling you "I want to go to back to the attic/basement/covert/garage...." (fill the blank) 😝

Though it was used for fairly peaceful purposes during it's time with our air group.

The Trimotor was originally purchased for crop dusting experiments in 1929.  For its remaining career, it carried out general transport duties until it was retired in 1937, and sold to United Air Transport as CF-BEP.

Chris

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Though it was used for fairly peaceful purposes during it's time with our air group.

The Trimotor was originally purchased for crop dusting experiments in 1929.  For its remaining career, it carried out general transport duties until it was retired in 1937, and sold to United Air Transport as CF-BEP.

Chris

I see you have found two wonderful options: a Cropduster and an Airliner! I am so proud of you!

Here is a PDF with a photo of a trimotor spraying DDT. Those were the days!

https://media.wix.com/ugd/c533b2_5b59f1dd087742349eec8d68fe7c3d1a.pdf

For those interested in cropdusting, I found this book followin ghte trail of the Ford (no Ford here, though)

https://archive.org/details/AerialForestInsectAndDiseaseDetectionSurveysInORandWA19472016TheSurveyHighRes/page/n36/mode/thumb

• Like 2