Jump to content

Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit


Recommended Posts

Honestly, Moa, this model looks so good, you probably are better off omitting the decals entirely!  On the other hand, the color scheme you envision likely won't distract much from the beautiful finish.  

 

Question: will you need to re-mask the clear parts before applying a fresh coat of aqua-gloss?

 

Uh, we are still talking about models here, right?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Honestly, Moa, this model looks so good, you probably are better off omitting the decals entirely!  On the other hand, the color scheme you envision likely won't distract much from the beautiful finish.  

 

Question: will you need to re-mask the clear parts before applying a fresh coat of aqua-gloss?

 

Uh, we are still talking about models here, right?

As these are commissioned decals, and the quality is very good, I found that many times it's not necessary to apply a sealing coat. In fact, over corrugations, you run the risk of making the decals more conspicuous.

When necessary and in a relatively large model like this one, you can restrict the airbrushing to the decals area, via simple, mundane post-its, or a piece of paper cut to allow a spraying window.

Needless to say, and as you have correctly pointed out, in a smaller model, or in cases when you need to coat the decals, you simply don't lift the masks until that is done.

The most reasonable route is NOT to remove the masks until all other finishing stages are done, so you don't run the risk of damaging the transparencies, with, let's say, a drop of glue while you are adding the final details.

And for that very reason, I don't do it 😁

As Master Sandpaper used to say: "Little Grasshoppersmoker, what is logic, but the box modelers hide their fears in?"

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to further complicate the build, I decided to try to add the guides and sliding windshield panels. Very thin clear plastic (of the type that comes with the printed instruments for the PE panels) and very thin wire are used to make the panels.

Not sure how this will work, tomorrow we may know:

IMG_1869+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Also added the two smaller antenna masts on the wing, that will have the wires from the main mast (at this point not mounted until decals are on):

IMG_1871+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

 

 

  • Like 23
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moa said:

Just to further complicate the build, I decided to try to add the guides and sliding windshield panels.

 

You adventurous man.

I was tempted to add the sliding cockpit windows on my Lockheed Electra, but shied away from it as being too risky.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Martian said:

Two rectums, two pee holes, one mouth, one nose, three ears and a hole for frightfulness.

"Alimentary, my dear Watson...."

  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Not bad, indeed!

Practice run, as I have to do the same on the Fokker F32.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks excellent, and really captures the "look."  Has anyone on this board flown as a passenger in one of these corrugated airborne wonders?  I'd conjecture that the experience could be summarized as "highly vibratory."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This looks excellent, and really captures the "look."  Has anyone on this board flown as a passenger in one of these corrugated airborne wonders?  I'd conjecture that the experience could be summarized as "highly vibratory."

Those who did, spent hours ironing down the corrugations in their butts.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Moa those sliding windscreen windows look fantastic and really does add to your already great work on this cracking model,  very impressed great work. 

Chris 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Moa those sliding windscreen windows look fantastic and really does add to your already great work on this cracking model,  very impressed great work. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris

Sometimes it works 😁

Cheers

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

The machine is really coming together now, it is looking awesome in that last photo.

Your work on details and improvements on this old kits is paying off very well.

Thanks Jörgen!

Waiting for the decals so I can proceed with the more delicate things.

Cheers

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Size compared to Fokker F.32

IMG_1879+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

 

 

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

The machine is really coming together now, it is looking awesome in that last photo.

Your work on details and improvements on this old kits is paying off very well.

Your incredible builds have been an inspiration on careful detailing and patience. You have showed many times that challenging things can accomplished with care and perseverance, and for that I am grateful, as well I think are many others.

Cheers

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Moa said:

Your incredible builds have been an inspiration on careful detailing and patience. You have showed many times that challenging things can accomplished with care and perseverance, and for that I am grateful, as well I think are many others.

Cheers

Thank you very much for your kind words. I can easily say the same about your builds. The leading edges of the wings you have made here is just one example. I will try the method somewhere as soon as I get the chance.

The great thing about meeting various builders here; you get inspiration from others, and you give inspiration back to others.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Well, the Fokker’s gotta be bigger to hold all those toilets.

:P

And typewriters!

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moa said:

:P

And typewriters!

Is that where the idea originated of using your cellphone while on the potty?

 

 

 

Chris

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Here they is:

 

 

Chris

Wrong thread, Chris?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moa said:

Wrong thread, Chris?

 

Yes! Sorry! I've deleted it. I didn't click the back button enough.

 

 

Chris

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

 

Yes! Sorry! I've deleted it. 

The pics were interesting, but it’s a good thing they’re gone and Space Ranger didn’t notice your accidental violation of this bang-bang free zone 😁

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billn53 said:

The pics were interesting, but it’s a good thing they’re gone and Space Ranger didn’t notice your accidental violation of this bang-bang free zone 😁

My sensor crew was asleep again! They will be flogged until morale and efficiency improves.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

My sensor crew was asleep again! They will be flogged until morale and efficiency improves.

Nothing can compare to Mr. Spock at the sensor.

"Insufficient data, captain!"

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...