Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

I took these at the Smithsonian. Notice how different this is from the previously posted one (smooth belly, to start with):

(Photos are for everyone's benefit, If you re-post or share, please add the link to my blog, where they were posted originally, as I took these images myself:

https://wingsofintent.blogspot.com/

IMG_7676+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Do not sand the seam in the wingtip area, as there was a very visible flange there:

IMG_7677+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8578+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8647+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8648+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8649+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8653+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8654+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8655+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Notice the wheel brake linkage rod, much more similar to the kit part than the other plane at the SDASM:

IMG_8656+%2528960x1280%2529.jpg

IMG_8658+%2528960x1280%2529.jpg

IMG_8664+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8831+%2528960x1280%2529.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Moa said:

My dear friend, extraordinary musician, composer, and bandoneón player Ricardo Fiorio, sent me this link to a youtube clip (IN SPANISH) that shows the SACO trimotor as it leaves Bogotá.

The accident happened later in Medellín:

Interesting film, thanks for sharing.

What is the ground member "cranking" at 1:36? 

• Like 2

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

I think I understand better now how you are creating the rolled corrugated leading edge. It was the transverse cutting of the foil that worried me. But a benadryl and a nap helped immensely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oh goody, an aircraft I have long wanted to model, but like you I worked out way back in the '70's that no two of them were the same, I doubt I will get the time soon to start one, and I actually don't think I have one in stock, having sold it off about 10 years ago, but will follow with much interest.

• Like 2

Ooh! Another great Moa build. My chair is pulled up to watch.

I do wonder just how many miniature toilets I've seen in the last few years. I know it's more than I ever would have thought just a few years past. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a wonderful subject Moa!  I am looking forward to seeing how you deal with this model, after my attempt completed earlier this month.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Moa said:

The control arms have been removed, their pivoting points drilled for later:

IMG_1505+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I can’t exactly tell from this photo, but if you used Airfix’s locations for drilling the control arm pivoting points, you may have a problem later on when rigging the control cables.  At least, that was my experience. Checking photos, I concluded the double-armed one was too high and had to be moved down a few corrugations.

You’ve really got my attention with this build, I’ll be looking over your shoulder at every step!

• Like 2

@Moa

Claudio,

Because I am a curious old coot, on the photos you posted of the landing gear, is that bellcrank and rod associated with the brakes? Doesn't look like it serves as a levered suspension/oleo, but I could be (and usually am!) wrong! Following this build to learn, and because I have an Airfix kit, but haven't decided if it's going to be a civil or USN/USMC example, just to be different! 

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
removed offensive photo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Because I am a curious old coot, on the photos you posted of the landing gear, is that bellcrank and rod associated with the brakes?

See below quoted what I have posted just above of what you posted, with the second walkaround in the Smithsonian:

16 hours ago, Moa said:

Notice the wheel brake linkage rod, much more similar to the kit part than the other plane at the SDASM:

I think you have gotten the same illness that Space Ranger (Michael) caught.

And, besides, why "some" don't get the memo that I don't appreciate military planes posted on my thread?

Et tu, Brute!

tenor.gif?itemid=12920106

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moa said:

And, besides, why nobody gets the memo that I don't appreciate military planes posted on my thread?

Sorry- I certainly didn't realize that military aircraft  were so offensive to you; I  gave thought to your views on the subject, but since the NAM's 4-AT was a transport and was unarmed, and  others might be interested in those colors and markings, I posted it. From now on, I will refrain from including any military-related content from comments made on your submissions. I will remove the offensive photo. 

Mike

I guess I missed your description as to the function of that rod and bellcrank-  sorry the redundant query  seems to have caused you so much consternation. Nobody's perfect.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

I can’t exactly tell from this photo, but if you used Airfix’s locations for drilling the control arm pivoting points, you may have a problem later on when rigging the control cables.  At least, that was my experience. Checking photos, I concluded the double-armed one was too high and had to be moved down a few corrugations.

You’ve really got my attention with this build, I’ll be looking over your shoulder at every step!

You are right, Bill, two corrugations down would place it more precisely.

I can't see any way it could interfere with the control cables layout at all, though.

I used the same location because no matter how well you do removing the arms, there is a slight "shadow" left, not noticeable if you locate the new arms just on top of it.

Moving the arm down would have made those faint remains of the altered plastic more evident.

Lovely choice of subject, it will will be great to see your magics applied to this ancient classic kit, actually one of the few Airfix kits i never built myself as a kid.

It was a sad ending for the plane and Mr. Carlos Gardel with friends and crew in that accident, but your model will be a nice tribute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I guess I missed your description as to the function of that rod and bellcrank-  sorry the redundant query  seems to have caused you so much consternation. Nobody's perfect.

Mike

No consternation at all.

I only grabbed and ax and demolished the living room, and went to the roof and screamed non-stop for twenty minutes.

The living room needed re-decoration anyway.

I also have at hand a number if iron bars that I turn into pretzels when I have to reply to comments, to release tension, you know.

I am a monk, after all.

Ommmmmm

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I used the same location because no matter how well you do removing the arms, there is a slight "shadow" left, not noticeable if you locate the new arms just on top of it.

Moving the arm down would have made those faint remains of the altered plastic more evident.

I did, and they are. 😪

• Haha 2

As mentioned somewhere at the beginning, the mail holds in the wings seemed to be of two types, single and double bay. Some trimotors didn't have them at all.

The one I intend to represent had a single bay mail hold, so the kit has to be modified accordingly.

I think I will shut close one of them, resurface the area to match photos (the kit is also missing a very prominent bar/lock), and then rework the other one and depict it in the open position, redoing the frames/wire netting which are ignored in the kit.

IMG_1526+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ray S said:

What a wonderful subject Moa!  I am looking forward to seeing how you deal with this model, after my attempt completed earlier this month.

All the best,

Ray

Ray, I had missed it, I just visited your thread.

Excellent job! these trimotors are indeed something. Almost legendary.

Well done job, sir!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

Ray, I had missed it, I just visited your thread.

Excellent job! these trimotors are indeed something. Almost legendary.

Well done job, sir!

Thanks for that comment, it means the world to me!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1