Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The current wildfires in my State and the role played by firefighting planes, lead me to some research and this clip of early firefighters (Felixstowe F.3 in this case, other planes appear)

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060023292

As if I didn't like early flying boats and float planes enough already! What a great film too, love the flying garb of one of the pilots towards the end.

• Like 3

Then progressively decreasing sections of plastic airfoiled strut material were cut and curved:

IMG_1822+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Then I realized that the complication was unnecessary, and  proceeded to remove the pips from the kit's ring, curved it more tightly, and snipped a bit at  each slimmer end, then glued it to the pips I already had installed in the new engine, and presto!:

IMG_1823+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1824+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 22

On 13/09/2020 at 03:46, Space Ranger said:

He'll be bookmarking that site in due course, no doubt - that is, if he hasn't already!

Moa could probably write the definitive history of aircraft toilets for Squadron: Aircraft Toilets In Action. On second thought …

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Or the Bristol Bidet- the Complete History :giggle:

Mike

9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Or the before and after pics. Especially the before!

Chris

All quips in the finest tradition of the "Usual Suspects"!

Impessed of Mars 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Nah- I'd love to see @Moa do the Hughes HK-1 Hercules in 1/72 scale! Talk about the ultimate pool toy! :offtopic: Wonder how many 55-gallon drums of silver lacquer it took to paint that puppy?

Mike

😄

Well, Mike, I think I could stretch up to a Dornier DOX, that has a higher weird factor. The Hughes is a monster on its own right, but the looks are more "normal", I wouldn't dismiss a Martin M.130 or a Boeing 314 though, also rather conventional but they can be build in our small house office, and don't need a living room.

Still, I am guessing my next ones are going to be a bit low key, after this Ford and the ongoing F.32, which have taken inordinate amounts of energy.

My next project could just be a 1/72nd scale cap with the propeller on top.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Moa said:

I think I could stretch up to a Dornier DOX, that has a higher weird factor. The Hughes is a monster on its own right, but the looks are more "normal", I wouldn't dismiss a Martin M.130 or a Boeing 314 though...

Moa, the “size queen” 😆

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Well, not that far from the truth. I looked up in case there was an 1/72nd Felixstowe F.3, but there is only an F.2 offered as kit.

That is wonderful, as I have enough kit boxes to build already!

Having scratch built a Felixstowe F3 in 1/48, there is not too much visible difference between the F2 versions with the full canopy and the F3 so if you have the relevant roden kit in the stash, an Earthling of your capability should be able to cope with any necessary work.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Martian said:

Having scratch built a Felixstowe F3 in 1/48, there is not too much visible difference between the F2 versions with the full canopy and the F3 so if you have the relevant roden kit in the stash, an Earthling of your capability should be able to cope with any necessary work.

Martian 👽

Not so fast, my favorite Martian!

giphy.gif

(Please no antenna erection jokes, this is a family forum, although more like an Adams Family one, now that I think of it)

The F.3 was unequivocally a bigger plane

F.2:

·  Length: 46 ft 3 in (14.1 m)

·  Wingspan: 95 ft 7.5 in (29.15 m)

·  Height: 17 ft 6 in (5.34 m)

·  Wing area: 1,133 sq ft (105.3 m2)

F.3

·  Length: 49 ft 2 in (14.99 m)

·  Wingspan: 102 ft 0 in (31.09 m)

·  Height: 18 ft 8 in (5.69 m)

·  Wing area: 1,432 sq ft (133.03 m2)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Moa said:

Not so fast, my favorite Martian!

giphy.gif

(Please no antenna erection jokes, this is a family forum, although more like an Adams Family one, now that I think of it)

The F.3 was unequivocally a bigger plane

F.2:

·  Length: 46 ft 3 in (14.1 m)

·  Wingspan: 95 ft 7.5 in (29.15 m)

·  Height: 17 ft 6 in (5.34 m)

·  Wing area: 1,133 sq ft (105.3 m2)

F.3

·  Length: 49 ft 2 in (14.99 m)

·  Wingspan: 102 ft 0 in (31.09 m)

·  Height: 18 ft 8 in (5.69 m)

·  Wing area: 1,432 sq ft (133.03 m2)

Sorry, when I found the colour scheme I wanted was on an F3, I just got some F3 plans and got on with the job. I never bothered to compare sizes between the marks. Had I been converting a kit, I would, of course, have found out about the difference in size long ago.

Humble of Mars 👽

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Sorry, when I found the colour scheme I wanted was on an F3, I just got some F3 plans and got on with the job. I never bothered to compare sizes between the marks. Had I been converting a kit, I would, of course, have found out about the difference in size long ago.

Humble of Mars 👽

You are, and there is no doubt, a Galactic Modeling Master of unbelievable skill, proven time and again. I am certain that that would have been the case. 

Although I frown upon your martial inclinations as you well know, I have admired countless times your incredible ability, resourcefulness, accuracy and your capacity to salt-pepper it with an enjoyable sprinkle of humor.

I hope this gets me out of a well-aimed green death ray from your part? (sincerely, jokes apart, your modeling skills are tops)

Unbearably snooty, snippy, hyper-sensitive, coconut-fed earthling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Martian said:

Just to 'pick the nit' (so to speak), as both Gomez and Morticia often pointed out...."That's Addams with two 'd's."*

*Unless, of course, you were referring to the family of the 2nd and 6th U.S. presidents, John and his son John Quincy Adams...in which case I humbly stand corrected.

Confused...but corrected.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thorfinn said:

Just to 'pick the nit' (so to speak), as both Gomez and Morticia often pointed out...."Thats Addams with two 'd's."

You are absolutely right! I have lived in ignorance all my life!

In Spanish it's many times (incorrectly) rendered colloquially as Adams. Gomez is "Homero", and of course other characters also have different names.

Thanks for the correction!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't have small chisels, so I repurposed a probe as one:

IMG_1829+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

That is needed to delete the corrugations on the small panels where the control cables go:

IMG_1830+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

These and the ones under the wing were also drilled to later accept the cables.

I have partially failed on this build to properly arrange the sequence of corrections and modifications, and I ended up doing things that are not comfortable, practical or even wise to do at later stages.

You may remember that I added the home-made corrugated leading edges before I properly dealt with the seams, engine pod locating holes, reworking of mail stowage hatches, passing light and other details on the wing, eager as I was to try the solution.

This resulted in the later nicking or marring of that corrugated foil in a couple places, nothing terrible, but unnecessary.

So if you think of doing the corrugated leading edge, deal with ALL the detail before you do that.

A word to the wise...

• Like 11