Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I was thinking more along the lines of “which Immanuel was responsible for writing these instructions?”, to be honest.

Much, much closer to the truth! And no, Moa, it was a rescue helicopter, no bang, bangs involved, although I would quite happily have shot whoever  wrote the instructions, :shoot:

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

Putting together the LG legs. The fit of these parts (tire, cap, leg with hub, mudguard) is very bad, unfortunately a constant characteristic of most old Airfix kits, together with some chunkiness and lack of finesse. This contrasts greatly with most Heller kits, that have per rule a much better fit, better defined parts, and a more refined feel to them:

IMG_1750+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Next thing you will ask is self-building kits? 😆

Funny you should say that!
 Just yesterday someone posted on my local group’s Facebook page a stop-motion YouTube video of an Airfix kit being assembled. It certainly looked like the kit was building itself. 
I would give the link, but don’t want to taint this thread with any bang-bang stuff.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

Martians blazing away with green ray guns being the exception, of course.

But they are so cute! look at those bulging eyes! You can even see that Marty Feldman was one of them!

(Besides, they belong to the realm of fiction, like our own Martian here, that is a subroutine in the BM programming)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

But they are so cute! look at those bulging eyes! You can even see that Marty Feldman was one of them!

(Besides, they belong to the realm of fiction, like our own Martian here, that is a subroutine in the BM programming)

Sadly Moa I am all too real. I think we should put Moa to the test Guys. Although under normal circumstances I am 110% against blood sports, I think we should lock Moa in a room with an FM kit and not let him out until he has built it, using the instructions. We should then, providing he survives the experience, we let him out and point him in the direction of the author of the instructions. I suspect the results would be very iluminating.

Curious of Mars 👽

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Martian said:

Sadly Moa I am all too real. I think we should put Moa to the test Guys. Although under normal circumstances I am 110% against blood sports, I think we should lock Moa in a room with an FM kit and not let him out until he has built it, using the instructions.

But, if we lock him in a room, quantum theory says he will both finish the kit, and not finish it (Schroedinger’s cat).

And, now we’ve come full circle...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

But, if we lock him in a room, quantum theory says he will both finish the kit, and not finish it (Schroedinger’s cat).

You're not helping here Bill.

Frustrated of Mars 👽

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Moa said:

For those with Corrugaphobia, I am pleased to announce that if you don't want to deal with corrugations at all, and find extreme sanding sports pleasurable, there were Ford trimotors as flat as the electroencephalogram of certain current presidents:

That's just weird (the plane, not the electroencephalogram; that's fact!).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

"But can we be certain about that?" asked Prof. Heisenberg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martian said:

Sadly Moa I am all too real. I think we should put Moa to the test Guys. Although under normal circumstances I am 110% against blood sports, I think we should lock Moa in a room with an FM kit and not let him out until he has built it, using the instructions. We should then, providing he survives the experience, we let him out and point him in the direction of the author of the instructions. I suspect the results would be very iluminating.

Curious of Mars 👽

That seems like rather cruel and unusual punishment. Couldn't we just force him to build a WW2 fighter? Maybe something from Tamiya?

Chris

• Haha 4

I just did a dry-run of the whole fuselage assembly.

The fit is despicable.

But that is the word I had to use perforce, because the word I really wanted to use would had me expelled from this prestigious Website and Forum.

The engineering is nonsensical and I am seriously thinking about calling upon @Martian ahem... drastic methods to deal with its designers.

Yes, brute force, lots of glue, merciless shaving and a bucket of filler may do, but I rather tweak the fit until I am satisfied with a reasonable result (a stage that now seems far away).

I like to think as the work performed to improve a kit as something you lay upon it basic nature, but here it's actually struggling first to obtain a half-decent base.

I have, like most of you, built during my life tons of Airfix kits. This one is among the worse I have encountered. Yes, I know it's very old (1968), but really...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I just did a dry-run of the whole fuselage assembly.

The fit is despicable.

But that is the word I had to use per force, because the word I really wanted to use would had me expelled from this prestigious Website and Forum.

The engineering is nonsensical and I am seriously thinking about calling upon @Martian ahem... drastic methods to deal with its designers.

Yes, brute force, lots of glue, drastic shaving and a bucket of filler may do, but I rather tweak the fit until I am satisfied with a reasonable result (a stage that now seems far away).

I like to think as the work performed to improve a kit as something you lay upon it basic nature, but here it's actually struggling first to obtain a half-decent base.

I have, like most of you, built during my life tons of Airfix kits. This one is among the worse I have encountered. Yes, I know it's very old (1968), but really...

Many of those old Airfix kits are like the sculptor's block of marble: raw material for a masterpiece. The statue/model was there all along; it just had to be released from its matrix/kit of parts.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Haha 2

“...the word I really wanted to use would had me expelled from this prestigious Website and Forum.”

Kant! Kant! Kant!

I also ran into problems with fit of the fuselage parts. I used stretched sprue and thin styrene rod to fill in along the edges, that blended in pretty well with the fuselage corrugations.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

"But can we be certain about that?" asked Prof. Heisenberg.

Well yes and no. By opening the room we will have influenced the outcome and collapsed the probability wave. But if the parallel worlds solution is correct all possible states of @moa Weill occur it just isn’t clear which one we will perceive as having occurred, simple ehh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If it’s any consolation, I’m still wrestling with the fuselage on my Airfix hp O/400 and while the engineering is ambitious  the execution is abysmal, a feature of all of those big kits of that era.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4