Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow looks fantastic Moa an absolutely amazing model. Great work indeed. 

Can't wait for the photos on the RFI.

Stunning

Chris

Thanks Chris

I will post today the second DH60, and may be tomorrow the Ford.

The weather is not helping, as the air is bad, the light reddish, and the temperature high.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray S said:

Yes Moa, a stunning build indeed. Thank you for all the advice you have given and shown for this model.

Ray

Thanks Ray

It's always a pleasure to share the journey, so hopefully others don't have to stumble on the same stones.

In the same way I was and am helped all the time by fellow modelers.

Impressive, Moa. The corrugated  surface looks stunning. Poor  Carlitos! His myth might have started that very day!!

It reminds me my childhood when every 9th of July Canal 10 de Tucumán broadcasted every Gardel’s movie available. You know what I am talking about...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alejandro Martinez Colombres said:

Impressive, Moa. The corrugated  surface looks stunning. Poor  Carlitos! His myth might have started that very day!!

It reminds me my childhood when every 9th of July Canal 10 de Tucumán broadcasted every Gardel’s movie available. You know what I am talking about...

Very kind of you Alejandro.

And yes, I know...😁

(When we moved to Tucumán from Buenos Aires -I was 12- there was only one TV station, belonging to the university. A few hours a day broadcast. Black & white, needless to say)

The completed model can be visited here:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moa said:

(When we moved to Tucumán from Buenos Aires -I was 12- there was only one TV station, belonging to the university. A few hours a day broadcast. Black & white, needless to say)

Just as it was in West Texas, where I grew up. The test pattern was sometimes the highlight of the day's programming.

• Haha 1

l

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Just as it was in West Texas, where I grew up. The test pattern was sometimes the highlight of the day's programming.

Reminds me of when we moved to SW Virginia in the early '70s. With mountains all around, the primitive early-days 'cable' -- with all seven channels --was a necessity. But the default channel, every time you turned on the set, was the cable company's own contribution: a little studio camera that...24 hours a day...panned back and forth across the faces of side-by-side clock, thermometer, and barometer. Arguably more exciting than a test pattern...but not quite as hypnotic as one of those looped 'burning log' videos.

I should have added that my younger sister would occasionally watch for long stretches -- talk about 'nothing better to do' -- and every once in a while you'd hear her chirp up "The needle moved!"

Simpler times. (I was otherwise occupied myself, watching paint dry....)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2020 at 1:45 PM, thorfinn said:

l

Reminds me of when we moved to SW Virginia in the early '70s. With mountains all around, the primitive early-days 'cable' -- with all seven channels --was a necessity. But the default channel, every time you turned on the set, was the cable company's own contribution: a little studio camera that...24 hours a day...panned back and forth across the faces of side-by-side clock, thermometer, and barometer. Arguably more exciting than a test pattern...but not quite as hypnotic as one of those looped 'burning log' videos.

I should have added that my younger sister would occasionally watch for long stretches -- talk about 'nothing better to do' -- and every once in a while you'd hear her chirp up "The needle moved!"

Simpler times. (I was otherwise occupied myself, watching paint dry....)

When I was growing up (also in SW Virginia), we only had three channels. Broadcast (cable was still in the future) and B&W. The test pattern  (which came on every morning) was exactly that. No burning logs, no meteorological instruments.  And, I had to walk to school every morning. (Whine, whine)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, billn53 said:

When I was growing up (also in SW Virginia), we only had three channels. Broadcast (cable was still in the future) and B&W. The test pattern  (which came on every morning) was exactly that. No burning logs, no meteorological instruments.  And, I had to walk to school every morning. (Whine, whine)

Believe me, I remember those days. Walked to school pretty much all years, until living in Euclid, Ohio, in junior high -- then we took the city bus!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billn53 said:

2 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Believe me, I remember those days. Walked to school pretty much all years, until living in Euclid, Ohio, in junior high -- then we took the city bus!

Luxury!

We had a wooden crate and pretended it was a TV set. It had one channel: poverty, and one TV show: "desperation". We had to walk 247,865 miles to school, traversing high mountain passes in the snow, and then a searing desert teeming with scorpions and covered in cactus' spines -barefoot-, cross a crocodile and piranha-infested river, just to get to the bus stop to get the bus to go to school, but we did not have buses, so we waited in vain and had to walk back at night in the dark, 11 days a week, 14 months a year, and we didn't have spring or summer breaks.

And if you tell that to the young modelers today, they won't believe you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Moa said:

Luxury!

We had a wooden crate and pretended it was a TV set. It had one channel: poverty, and one TV show: "desperation". We had to walk 247,865 miles to school, traversing high mountain passes in the snow, and then a searing desert teeming with scorpions and covered in cactus' spines -barefoot-, cross a crocodile and piranha-infested river, just to get to the bus stop to get the bus to go to school, but we did not have buses, so we waited in vain and had to walk back at night in the dark, 11 days a week, 14 months a year, and we didn't have spring or summer breaks.

And if you tell that to the young modelers today, they won't believe you.

That sounds a lot like Lubbock, Texas, where I grew up. Except the rivers ran sand and tumbleweeds. But at least Lubbock had Buddy Holly.

• Haha 3

• 2 years later...