Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! Deja Vu! When I built my 1/72 Matchbox Siskin, which used very similar navigation light pods, I used the warheads of 5" HVAR's, hollowed out the fronts, put in a drop of red or green paint, and made the nosecaps from white glue; drilled out the bodies for a sprue attachment rod, just like you did! You go, Moa! (Attaching the taillight pod to that thin rudder trailing edge was a real exercise in frustration, let me tell you!

Mike

And, for my tri-motor, I used shaped styrene rod for the body of the pod, and a small drop of  UV activated clear acrylic gel for the lens. Wingtip lenses received a coat of Testors transparent red & blue paint.

46287616884_6df5fd6706_b.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Matchbox Siskin, which used very similar navigation light pods, I used the warheads of 5" HVAR's,

I am convinced you of course are referring to a civil Siskin, like this one

486-3.jpg

And since you converted swords to ploughshares with those nav lights I shall be bestowing 10 brownie points* to you.

*Brownie Points are exchangeable for BM-miles, which in turn can be converted to Martian stock, which then can used to acquire Space Ranger stars, useful (some say) towards buying an Official Civil Pardon for your modeling sins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, billn53 said:

And, for my tri-motor, I used shaped styrene rod for the body of the pod, and a small drop of  UV activated clear acrylic gel for the lens. Wingtip lenses received a coat of Testors transparent red & blue paint.

Nice work!

3 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Like death, taxes, and Trump’s lies.

👍 :laugh::cwl:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Moa said:

See what you have done, @72modeler, now you had me looking for the old Matchbox kit online to do the civil conversion. Flying Toads and Electric Eels!

Moa claims innocence, but it’s all part of his master plan. I won’t be able to build for weeks (my workshop is packed away for a move), yet I’ve been searching evilBay for ‘30s airliners and other civil kits. Just this afternoon, I was drooling over a de Havilland Albatross. Last week, it was old Junkers planes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I was drooling over a de Havilland Albatross.

Same here, more than once and for a long time already.

Several factors deterred me:

1) The price (not completely outrageous, but not tempting at all either)

2) The fact that after you have paid that price, you have to purchase separately the interior. Really? What the...

3) And add the separately-sold sets of masks.

So the price goes quickly up, and you may have to pay several S&H charges, as not all vendors sell all those things.

4) The already much-talked about wrong shape of the engine nacelles where they meet the wing.

So, spend a lot, and then spend another lot of hours fixing blunt and inaccurate shapes?

So I keep looking, but never hitting "buy".

The quest for the Modeling Holy Grail continues...

-Hey, you, the one with the coconuts, on we go!

"Brave, brave, brave Sir Moa..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Moa said:

Same here, more than once and for a long time already.

Several factors deterred me:

1) The price (not completely outrageous, but not tempting at all either)

2) The fact that after you have paid that price, you have to purchase separately the interior. Really? What the...

3) And add the separately-sold sets of masks.

So the price goes quickly up, and you may have to pay several S&H charges, as not all vendors sell all those things.

4) The already much-talked about wrong shape of the engine nacelles where they meet the wing.

So, spend a lot, and then spend another lot of hours fixing blunt and inaccurate shapes?

So I keep looking, but never hitting "buy".

The quest for the Modeling Holy Grail continues...

-Hey, you, the one with the coconuts, on we go!

"Brave, brave, brave Sir Moa..."

Precisely.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Moa said:

Brownie Points are exchangeable for BM-miles

If I get enough of them, can I exchange them for an exit visa for the naughty corner? (Don't get me wrong-@corsaircorp is a very nice guy and all, but I'm getting tired of hearing the same jokes all day long; plus those kampfhose (battlepants) he wears  scare the bejeezus out of me!) :giggle:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If I get enough of them, can I exchange them for an exit visa for the naughty corner?

No.

Martian (Keeper of the keys to the Naughty Corner) 👽

• Haha 5

I continued performing the BM-required fatigue and resistance tests, dropping the model once again.

This time a weakness was discovered in one of the elevators' hinges, which detached. And this is why these tests are so important, as they eventually may save 1/72nd scale passengers lives:

IMG_1849+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Have to implement now the needed repairs and apply a clear coat, and then go through the list on the right:

IMG_1849b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The moirée effect in the model is the product of the interaction of the corrugations and the given definition of the image file.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, Moa said:

The moirée effect in the model is the product of the interaction of the corrugations and the given definition of the image file.

That's a considerable relief. I was afraid I'd gotten my mushrooms mixed up again....

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Moa said:

You have to mandatorily use a specific device during those tests, called Plug-a-Martian©, that, as its name indicates, keeps the contents from sloshing around.

You go and plug someone else! I thought you were supposed to be a peaceful Earthling.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

As commander of the local Space Ranger constabulary, I hereby declare a no-plug zone. Our laser cannons and Aztek airbrushes stand ready to enforce it. Splatter nozzles activated!

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

As commander of the local Space Ranger constabulary, I hereby declare a deplugging zone. Our laser cannons and Aztek airbushes stand ready to enforce it. Splatter nozzles activated!

That’s right. “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst”

• Haha 4