Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

52 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Just to 'pick the nit' (so to speak), as both Gomez and Morticia often pointed out...."That's Addams with two 'd's."*

*Unless, of course, you were referring to the family of the 2nd and 6th U.S. presidents, John and his son John Quincy Adams...in which case I humbly stand corrected.

Confused...but corrected.

I didn't say anything about errections, Martian or Terrestrial.

Confused of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

Not much progress, as this was my morning...

Now, where was that little bushing that I saw long ago...

IMG_1833+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The masks are on, and a coat of primer is airbrushed, revealing the usual spots that need tiding:

IMG_1834+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I dropped the model twice from about one foot high. Will have to check when the primer dries that nothing was compromised.

Imagine, for example, if the toilet was dislodged! Oh, the humanity!

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, Moa said:

Not much progress, as this was my morning...

Now, where was that little bushing that I saw long ago...

IMG_1833+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Looks like you are about as organised as me!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Imagine if the toilet were to be dislodged while a passenger was using it.

In best Queenie voice "Imagine the mess, poohee!".

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

Impressive work.  Will you follow up with gloss black to enhance the aluminum effect?  Every model I build gets dropped at least once when almost completely assembled and painted, and possibly more often.  It's a ritual.  I am the only person in my household (or for that matter, the world) officially authorized to drop the model.  You'd be surprised how little satisfaction comes with the repetitive repair work!  Most of what I build is quite sturdy for that reason.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Impressive work.  Will you follow up with gloss black to enhance the aluminum effect?  Every model I build gets dropped at least once when almost completely assembled and painted, and possibly more often.  It's a ritual.  I am the only person in my household (or for that matter, the world) officially authorized to drop the model.  You'd be surprised how little satisfaction comes with the repetitive repair work!  Most of what I build is quite sturdy for that reason.

Thanks!

Yes, "gloss black before Alclad", as the ancient nursery rhyme goes.

A quick inspection revealed no issues that I can tell of, but work is suspended for the time being as I got a ton of work from my other hobby, collecting those green papers to pay for things.

• Like 4

On 9/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, Moa said:

My next project could just be a 1/72nd scale cap with the propeller on top.

Scroll down to see the one you need to get to go with your Ford  Trimotor! Not sure if they offer Hamilton Standard or Rotol options! :giggle:

Mike

https://www.joyoftech.com/geekculturestore/webstore/multiprops.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

..do you know what it is yet!?

I think I see some Heller and Italeri Ju-52 parts in the pile, but he's already done one- unless he's planning the single-engined version. There can't be any Sabre bits in there, or you would have been all over them already, Stuart! :giggle:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

...do you know what it is yet!? :rofl:

Stuart

Stuart, I am surprised that you did not recognize this as an already finished model.

It's called "The state of the country since 2016 and still today", done in inhuman scale.

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I think I see some Heller and Italeri Ju-52 parts in the pile, but he's already done one- unless he's planning the single-engined version. There can't be any Sabre bits in there, or you would have been all over them already, Stuart! :giggle:

Mike

Mike, see above.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Well my dear equal-opportunity jesters, I managed to squeeze a brief airbrushing session.

The gloss black coat is on.

At the same time I quickly airbrushed the... you know what's coming, don't you?... toilets.

These (2) seem in photos to be in a sort of dark steel tone, thus I committed (and not for the first time) the horrid mistake of using Alclad II Steel.

This produced, as every time I use this crap, a massive clogging of cup, body and nozzle, as the particles seem very coarse, the dry time too fast, and the mix abominable.

Now, Alclad is a good product, and I use it a lot. One thing it does NOT have is consistency. Especially in thickness. Some bottles will be almost clear medium with two colloidal particles in it, and others will be like thin mud.

I hate that. That is to say: I hate that. Not sure I am explained myself clearly: I hate that.

IMG_1839+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5