Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

18 hours ago, Martian said:

Your Alien Overlord orders that you remain safe Moa. After all you are one of our favorite victims  members.

Martian 👽

Do not worry. Space Rangers are patrolling Moa's sector.

• Haha 7

Notes:

-Some of you may have notice that I have a clothespin under the fuselage, so the landing gear legs are not supporting the weight of the model at this stage.

The widely open legs are very flimsy and fragile, and also pone to retain the bend they acquire under flexion. Mine, in fact, were already "curved" upon arrival as the sprue was pressed against other contents in the box.

IMG_1813+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

-As you know I replaced the too generic engine for an Aeroclub white metal item. Here's the rub: the engine fits ok on the nose, but the diameter of the exhaust ring in the kit is too large, and unfortunately doesn't coincide.

This means the kit's engine is larger (than it should be?).

This will have to be remedied by cutting and shortening the ring, or by making a new one. We'll see:

IMG_1814+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

-The exhaust in this plane was different than the one offered with the kit, so an aluminium addition is fabricated, and the kit's "long" part discarded.

IMG_1815+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Nothing better than spending my Sunday morning catching up with this build, coming along so well, and some of the solutions although looking quite brutal, seem to work in a Russian engineering way.

:laugh:

Beg your pardon, we are talking Argentinean engineering here. We only use hammers of different sizes as tools (besides coconuts, of course).

• Haha 5

If I had to chose between 1960s Airfix and Aeroclub for accuracy, my money would be on @John Aero everytime. You could try adding a plastic card sleeve to the inside of the cowling as from the photographs, it looks that the difference between the circumference of the engine and the inside diameter of the cowling is not that great.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

If I had to chose between 1960s Airfix and Aeroclub for accuracy, my money would be on @John Aero everytime. You could try adding a plastic card sleeve to the inside of the cowling as from the photographs, it looks that the difference between the circumference of the engine and the inside diameter of the cowling is not that great.

Helpful of Mars 👽

Dear unhelpful of Mars:

This is the center engine, no cowl.

Martians go home!

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Moa said:

Dear unhelpful of Mars:

This is the center engine, no cowl.

Martians go home!

At least, it’s only one engine then.  When I did my tri-motor, I had to scratch exhausts for all three engines (no cowlings for me! All of my Small Stuff Wasp Jr’s were exposed for display). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

At least, it’s only one engine then.  When I did my tri-motor, I had to scratch exhausts for all three engines (no cowlings for me! All of my Small Stuff Wasp Jr’s were exposed for display). 

You adventurous man. And I think you like "exposing" a little bit too much 😁

The ring has segments with decreasing diameter. I will just have to separate the ring in its components, remove a slice here and there from bottom to top as I glue the sections.

It's remarkable how simple all looks in your head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Here, Moa. I found this, just for you:

https://toilet-guru.com/aircraft.php

🤪

He'll be bookmarking that site in due course, no doubt - that is, if he hasn't already!

Moa could probably write the definitive history of aircraft toilets for Squadron: Aircraft Toilets In Action. On second thought …

• Haha 10

Good to see it all coming together and the brass bits emerging. Ooer !

Greatvwork Moa

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how he does triple-ply toilet tissue in 1/72 scale! :giggle:

Mike

Not only is it triple ply it's  extra soft too and a golden retriever puppy runs up and down the Isle on each trip unravelling some rolls!!!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 7