Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

At this point of the build is when Airfix's instructions start to become more complicated than usual:

Inst+1.jpg

Inst+2.jpg

(Now, my illustrated, illustrious and illuminated fellow BMers with scientific/philosophical inclinations, can any of you tell the rest of our distinguished membership from where I pulled these "instructions"?

Brownie points if you know, and you do)

Clue: it's not Martian writing

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Not sure you're looking at the correct instruction sheet there, Moa.

The second chart clearly shows only two engines - a 7-cylinder and a 13-cylinder radial, plus there seems to be a suggested use of plastic rod in the top left panel.

I think what you have is most likely very early Aeroclub.

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Voynich?

Top left panel is definitely tube, not rod :)

Adrian, I am speechless!

You got it, sir! I salute your powers of observation and association.

They are, indeed, pages from what it came to be known as the Voynich manuscript, still undeciphered since its discovery in the early 15th century, like many kit instructions as noted by fellow BMers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, thorfinn said:

it travels instantly to the other side of the universe, or the Alpha Quadrant, or wherever...and a day or two later it returns and drops out to deposit itself in the exact place where I looked for it a dozen or so times.

I've been there ..... or was I?

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Am I imagining, or does this illustration from the Voynich manuscript not look a wee bit like Moa’s avatar?

😆

You yourself Bill don't look bad either!

But your vacuum-forming technique explanation is a bit out there, though, if I may.

Vac.jpg

(And Bill, a bit of decorum wouldn't go amiss. I understand that 15th century customs are not the current ones, but give clothing some consideration, if you will). :rofl:

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Moa said:

Adrian, I am speechless!

You got it, sir! I salute your powers of observation and association.

They are, indeed, pages from what it came to be known as the Voynich manuscript, still undeciphered since its discovery in the early 15th century, like many kit instructions as noted by fellow BMers.

I have seen worse! Have you ever tried deciphering a Fonderie Miniatures instruction sheet? I am a qualified French interpreter and I can't make sense of them. I asked some native French speakers if I was doing something wrong and they said no, they couldn't make head nor tail of them either! I have often wondered why FM went out of business. :hmmm:

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Martian said:

I have seen worse! Have you ever tried deciphering a Fonderie Miniatures instruction sheet? I am a qualified French interpreter and I can't make sense of them. I asked some native French speakers if I was doing something wrong and they said no, they cloudn't make head nor tail of them either! I have often wondered why FM went out of business.

Martian 👽

Those were for your French toast, fondue and raclette maker, not for your kit, Martin.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Moa said:

Those were for your French toast-maker, not for your kit, Martin.

Well, there were a few small drawings that kind of resembled some of the kit parts but no clear idea as to what one was supposed to with them. (Quiet in the cheap seats!) Having got hold of dozens of drawings from the actual servicing manual of the aircraft concerned I did get the model finished in the end. What is perhaps more worrying is that I then let Mrs Martian buy me another FM kit. Even more worrying is that as it is a present I am going to have to build it at some stage. I am currently saving up for the articulated truck load of styrene stock that will be required.

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, Moa said:

At this point of the build is when Airfix's instructions start to become more complicated than usual:

Inst+1.jpg

Inst+2.jpg

(Now, my illustrated, illustrious and illuminated fellow BMers with scientific/philosophical inclinations, can any of you tell the rest of our distinguished membership from where I pulled these "instructions"?

Brownie points if you know, and you do)

Clue: it's not Martian writing

A Tibetan publication: "All the World's Mandalas."

• Haha 3

On 9/6/2020 at 10:57 PM, thorfinn said:

One seldom hears Spinoza referred to in a modelling context as often as one used to. (These days, it always seems to be "Rousseau scratchbuilt this...," or "Hegel airbrushed that....")

I think I heard Martian going on about Kant when he was looking at FM instructions.  At least, it sounded quite like it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

As in, "I Kant make heads nor tails of these [blasted] instructions"???

I don’t think so... I’ve heard that “Kant” is the rudest word in the Martian language ( kind of like “Belgium”).

• Haha 7

29 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

As in, "I Kant make heads nor tails of these [blasted] instructions"???

I was thinking more along the lines of “which Immanuel was responsible for writing these instructions?”, to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

For those with Corrugaphobia, I am pleased to announce that if you don't want to deal with corrugations at all, and find extreme sanding sports pleasurable, there were Ford trimotors as flat as the electroencephalogram of certain current presidents:

FordSmoothSkin.jpg

(I am not sure from where I got these images (all from the Net, though), so please let me know if I am stepping on some copyrighting toes)

smooth+skin.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Moa said:

For those with Corrugaphobia, I am pleased to announce that if you don't want to deal with corrugations at all, and find extreme sanding sports pleasurable, there were Ford trimotors as flat as the electroencephalogram of certain current presidents:

Wow! I don't believe I've ever seen a 'neatly pressed' Trimotor before. Great pics.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I need more corrugations for the Monogram 4-AT project I've got in mind...since most of the side windows were missing on the particular bird in question. I'll either make a mold from the kit's texture, or sub with some aftermarket sheet if I can match the spacing closely enough.

5 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Wow! I don't believe I've ever seen a 'neatly pressed' Trimotor before. Great pics.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I need more corrugations for the Monogram 4-AT project I've got in mind...since most of the side windows were missing on the particular bird in question. I'll either make a mold from the kit's texture, or sub with some aftermarket sheet if I can match the spacing closely enough.

So no replication with kitchen foil, the easiest of ways?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054271-junkers-ju-52-aeroposta-argentina-italeri-172-conversion/&do=findComment&comment=3329810

25 minutes ago, Moa said:

For those with Corrugaphobia, I am pleased to announce that if you don't want to deal with corrugations at all, and find extreme sanding sports pleasurable, there were Ford trimotors as flat as the electroencephalogram of certain current presidents

I had heard of these modified tri-motors, but this is the first time I’ve seen a photo of one.  I think I prefer the corrugations, they add a certain charm...

But, what about those engines / mounts on the aircraft in the pics? Those looks like they would be a nightmare to model!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1