Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

Work continues on the wing. A light coat of primer first to spot blemishes followed by a light sanding, and then the kit's aileron control horns -that were removed as they were poor-, are replaced with metal items, and the control cables position drilled:

IMG_1706+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The (we believe) passing light housing was added:

IMG_1707+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The cables run shorter on the upper surface of the wing:

IMG_1708+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 16

On 8/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, Moa said:

Well well !!

How's that possible ???

An AH 1 Cobra And a F-4J phantom... A mig Killer moreover...

Hey what's going on, On a Moa's thread ???

Magnificent job on these wings !! 

Sincerely.

CC

On 8/25/2020 at 12:58 AM, Moa said:

we+161+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 2

The props in this plane had the customary Hamilton Standard logo, and the blade tips that common tri-color bands, so more work is ahead:

IMG_1713+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I started to paint the seats, when it occurred to me to look at actual photos. And of course this plane had different seats, curved, not oblong, the back shaped like a catenary curve (imagine the seats in the DH89 Dragon Rapide kit).
Looking at dozens of interiors, I found none that have the seats depicted in the kit, save executive arrangements of less seats and different layout. One more lesson learned. Actually, again and again the same lesson: do not blindly trust a kit.

I will reshape the seats in the back-up kit and use those:

IMG_1714+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 15

16 hours ago, Moa said:

I started to paint the seats, when it occurred to me to look at actual photos.... again and again the same lesson: do not blindly trust a kit.

Same experience here, same lesson-learned (again).

• Like 2

On my one business class flight ever I seem to remember it being  a Lufthansa Fokker 100 with very large square brown leather seats. Might fit the bill :) 

I did also get to fly from San Diego on a cargo 747 which was actually the coolest thing ever, the crew even let me sit in the jump seat for the takeoff. 

Except for actually flying in a Viscount before they were all scrapped most of the rest of my air travel experiences were pretty dull.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The cockpit was given seat belts and an additional small panel on the console with three instruments seen in photos, most likely engine instruments.
Work on the nacelles continues as more detail is added following photos. The white channels are the shrouds the exhausts need for this variant, made of course of split thinned tube. There were sets of louvers at the back that will be added after painting in the form of Archer printed resin decals:

IMG_1719+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

Are you sure that slot isn't the stand-up-and-aim toilet fitted to the cheap export versions?

I know how fond you are of toilets in aircraft and would hate to think you'd blocked one up!

Ian

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

would hate to think you'd blocked one up!

Ian

Heaven forfend!

And just a comment regarding the export versions: in the ones sent to Argentina, every passenger seat was a toilet. And on top of that, had bidet* capabilities. We may go about naked, live in trees and have a coconut-based economy, but we are not savages.

*Unlike, ahem, most of the locals.

• Haha 9

More painting ensues, as some elements have a different color on the back (bulkheads/doors), or need a top coat (metallic paint), or a different color in another section (the white for the restroom area, the tri-color prop blade tips). Notice that the area inside right in front of the cabin door is not covered by the cabin pan, and will have to be painted accordingly once the white has dried and can be masked:

IMG_1724+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Seats painted and in place, seatbelts added. The vents for the heating system were added to the floor, as well as a different color walkway:

IMG_1725+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 18