Ford Trimotor - modified Airfix 1/72 kit

8 minutes ago, Moa said:

IMG_1600+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I will have to apply a strip of alu foil to the LE area to hide the uneven seam.

Well, sheet!

A little something for you, Moa. A 1/72 injection-moulded Elsan chemical toilet. It's from Airfix, from one of their early 1940's aircraft.

50287647572_0803595f67_c.jpg

Chris

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, Moa said:

It works. It's not perfect, and abler hands may obtain a better result, but I think it's worth trying.

I am using thick cyano glue as stated above to give some prodding time (not much, I am afraid) and provide some support so the foil does not crumple if unduly pressed, but perhaps other adhesives would be better, as they may allow for edge trimming and removal if things don't go well (this is not removable at all, even with superglue "debonder", it just makes a darn mess)

I should clarify that to no extent I have "invented" this approach, I have been seeing this kind of "patch" work in many places since I came back to the hobby about 15 years ago or so.

I did not clean the leading seam before applying the patches, so I am in a pickle now. You can't mess in the area without risking damaging the foil. Oh, well...

I will have to apply a strip of alu foil to the LE area to hide the uneven seam.

Very, very nice.  Now that I’ve seen it done (and, I do recall you reproducing corrugations for prior builds, but never on the leading edge), I wish I had tried your method on my tri-motor.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

You know, "someone" should really make new resin cast leading edges for that kit, now that "someone" has created perfect masters!

Intriguing idea, but I suspect that getting the corrugations of the resin replacement to line up seamlessly with those on the wing would be nigh impossible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, this is not easy, at all, and the results are ok, but not perfect. It's an ok job for the shelf, but very close inspection reveals little things here and there.

I am satisfied enough to let it be, in spite of having two more wings I could have resorted to as back ups or second and third tries.

I think this solution is adequate, though, for those liveries that have a painted (black or red) leading edge, as it will be the perfect separation line, effectively hiding the step.

IMG_1596+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1601+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1602+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1603+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 23

32 minutes ago, Moa said:

Thanks Michael, you are very kind, but Texas is far away from California, and even with 20/20...

That reminds me of this old “blond joke”

Two blonds are sitting on their porch, looking at the moon.

One asks, “What do you think is closer: Texas, or the moon?”

The other says, “Well, duh! Can you see Texas from here?”

(Sorry, but I grew up before the term “politically correct” was invented)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Moa said:

Thanks Michael, you are very kind, but Texas is far away from California, and even with 20/20...

Well pardner, I'll have you know the screen of this here monitor of mine is custom ground to my perscription!

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That reminds me of this old “blond joke”

Two blonds are sitting on their porch, looking at the moon.

One asks, “What do you think is closer: Texas, or the moon?”

The other says, “Well, duh! Can you see Texas from here?”

Must not have been Texas blondes. Although some of them I have known started to feel insecure the minute they lost sight of Nieman Marcus.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Those look great from where I sit.

Me, too! That's about as good a fix as you can get- well done, Claudio! I can't think of a way Airfix could have engineered the kit to get corrugations around the leading edges that would match the edges of the other wing panels. What @Moa has done certainly has improved the appearance of the wing corrugations, as well as the mail holds. I might try the leading edge fix when the time comes, as those smooth leading edges really stand out, but no open mail compartments for me! :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

Me, too! That's about as good a fix as you can get- well done, Claudio! I can't think of a way Airfix could have engineered the kit to get corrugations around the leading edges that would match the edges of the other wing panels. What @Moa has done certainly has improved the appearance of the wing corrugations, as well as the mail holds. I might try the leading edge fix when the time comes, as those smooth leading edges really stand out, but no open mail compartments for me! :worthy:

Mike

Thanks Mike

With more experimentation and in the hands of abler modelers the result could be really great.

Revell had the corrugations in their F.13 al the way to the L.E. seam. Still needs a bit of cleaning, but it works quite well. The way the wing halves are molded, the corrugations could have reached the seam without undercuts and such, as Revell did.

Still, I know nothing about plastic molding, mold making and such. But I am slowly becoming an expert in Martians.

Cheers

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, billn53 said:

Very, very nice.  Now that I’ve seen it done (and, I do recall you reproducing corrugations for prior builds, but never on the leading edge), I wish I had tried your method on my tri-motor.

Me too!

Ray

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Me too!

Ray

21 hours ago, billn53 said:

I wish I had tried your method on my tri-motor.

The perfect excuse to build another!

But I must warn you: it's not easy, and there will be a lot of hit and misses! (actually a huge number of misses and one hit if you are lucky).

A different, more permissive adhesive is a must. Something that allows relocation or peeling off is things fail. Gold leaf adhesive or something like that. Then you can apply, position, and trim and remove any edges that may not be properly aligned if needed.

It could be a good idea to put some tape span-wise along the wing to delimit where all the individual panels should stop.

But when common sense has stopped any modeler, uh? :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For the one  I’ve corrugated build I’ve done, I used foil from a takeaway ( take out) container embossed and attached with double sided sticky tape, then once I was happy with the placement a dab of superglue at the panel edges to keep it stuck.  I shan’t post an image because it wasn’t 1/72 or civil.

Btw didn’t Junkers sue Ford for patent violations over the trimotor, can’t remember if the won or settled. 

Edited by Marklo

9 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Btw didn’t Junkers sue Ford for patent violations over the trimotor, can’t remember if the won or settled. 

Junkers successfully sued Ford for infringement of patent when the Trimotor was offered for sale in Europe. Ford mounted a counter-suit, in which it was defeated again.

• Like 2