1/72 - Northrop (R)F-5E & F Tiger II by DreamModel - F-5E & F-5F released

Homebee

20 hours ago, MVW said:

Hello,

I got my copy last week and I'm, neutrally spoken, not impressed. The panel lines are OK, to my taste a bit on the heavy side. Shapewise, the kit seems to be a clone of the Hobby Boss F-5E with all its shape inaccuracies. The windshield is too blunt, the canopy too wide and wrong in shape at the junction to the cockpit sills. The whole spine is too rounded in section, whereas its sides should be more flat. That's the reason why the "dents" just aft of the canopy are almost absent - there is no geometrical transition from the rounded canopy shape to the flat-sided spine. All things which look right on the Italeri kit. You can solve these issues by using an Italeri windshield and canopy and by reshaping the spine, or ...

The shallow cannon ports are also pure Hobby Boss.

Together with the poorly detailed cockpit, I see at present no reason why to buy a second one or the F-5F kit. For me it's an "almost" F-5E; sadly missing its attractive shape by a wide margin.

unimpressed Martin

I had not noticed the windscreen in the previous pictures but in the German review this was very visible: the too short Minihobby/Hobbyboss windscreen ! Awful and very disappointing

16 hours ago, Jackman said:

Yeah. Those decal schemes are already available in the Italeri kit:

Was looking at the Italeri kit yesterday and wondering what decal options there was with it so thanks for the links :) 

Wonder if that's where Nightmare oops, I mean Dream, Model took their 'inspiration' from :hmmm:

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Northrop (R)F-5E & F Tiger II by DreamModel - F-5E & F-5F released
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone bought the F-5F?

I am tempted but, after reading all the comments about the company's "E" model, I am not sure if this will be a better one, at least to the areas that many fellow modellers have pointed out.

It would be nice though to see a comparison between the old Italeri "F", which is supposedly more accurate in shape and this new "F" just to confirm or, refute the contradicting areas.

I would buy one just if by mistake they added the underwing pylon used for AA missiles and for the drop tanks, outside that I would stick with Italeri and place cloned DM parts on it. Otherwise I'll just wait for Wolfpack and hope someone will do something for THAT pylon

Luigi

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

I am tempted but, after reading all the comments about the company's "E" model, I am not sure if this will be a better one, at least to the areas that many fellow modellers have pointed out.

It would be nice though to see a comparison between the old Italeri "F", which is supposedly more accurate in shape and this new "F" just to confirm or, refute the contradicting areas.

When I saw the prices on Ebay I almost got a hearth attack. I am skip this.

Edited by Borisz

1 hour ago, Trenton guy said:

Thanks, that’s the price I’d expect to pay. Think I’ll give him a try.

Hobbyeasy has the F-5E at a cheaper price:

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/t1munyrq88tavvsngf0y.html

If you could wait for a while, he might get the F-5F in stock soon and would probably sell at around the same price.

But if it was me, I'd rather wait for the Wolfpack kit.  Something about the Dreammodel kit doesn't look right to me, not the  least of which are the Trumpeter-like rivets.

I wait for the Wolfpack kit for evaluation.  I have the Italeri F-5E and F-5F and when I see the inaccuracies on the Dream Model ones, I prefer to keep my old ones even, if scribing panel lines is necessary.

If only ESCI had released a F-5E in the 80's (their F-5A, nom under Italeri label is excellent !)

I don't understand why, with the technology available today, so many kits released are plagged with inaccuracies and more than 35 years old models are still the most accurate available on the market !

Is profit better than quality ?

• Like 3

I agree entirely VC. The Esci F-5A kit is still the best early F-5 even all these years later.

This DreamModel kit looks like a re-hash of the HobbyBoss effort to me, even down to the short windscreen. Those bombs look way too fat as well.

I'll save my coin and hope that Wolfpack deliver the goods. I still have plenty of Italeri Tigers in the stash, enough to last me a few years yet.

34 minutes ago, Violet Club said:

I wait for the Wolfpack kit for evaluation.  I have the Italeri F-5E and F-5F and when I see the inaccuracies on the Dream Model ones, I prefer to keep my old ones even, if scribing panel lines is necessary.

As far as scribing the Italeri F-5s, I have done it and it was not a pleasant process.

In 1/72, the F-5 has some of the most demanding for scribing curves and if you are not used to scribing details such as panels' lines, it's very time consuming and you don't succeed it very easily (a lot of CA to cover the mistakes!).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, MVW said:

Hello,

I got my copy last week and I'm, neutrally spoken, not impressed. The panel lines are OK, to my taste a bit on the heavy side. Shapewise, the kit seems to be a clone of the Hobby Boss F-5E with all its shape inaccuracies. The windshield is too blunt, the canopy too wide and wrong in shape at the junction to the cockpit sills. The whole spine is too rounded in section, whereas its sides should be more flat. That's the reason why the "dents" just aft of the canopy are almost absent - there is no geometrical transition from the rounded canopy shape to the flat-sided spine. All things which look right on the Italeri kit. You can solve these issues by using an Italeri windshield and canopy and by reshaping the spine, or ...

The shallow cannon ports are also pure Hobby Boss.

Together with the poorly detailed cockpit, I see at present no reason why to buy a second one or the F-5F kit. For me it's an "almost" F-5E; sadly missing its attractive shape by a wide margin.

unimpressed Martin

Totally agree!!!! They may consider me a boring or perfectionist but, in my humble opinion, this kit is not worth what it costs nor can it be considered a great F-5E model, as we see with "contemporary" models such as Eduard's Mig-21MF, Mirage IIIE from Modelsvit, Kfir from AMK.
  What I consider most serious is the total disregard of the manufacturer regarding the warnings about the openings of the cannons that even I warned! Their "solution" borders on ridicule (do it yourself with a drill!) and disrespect for their audience. The fuselage lines are very similar to a diecast, an interior below basic and shape flaws as mentioned by my colleague MVW make me not want to buy this kit even for the lowest price I see today at Hobbyeasy. I don't see it as better than an F-5A ESCI that is over 30 years old and manages to have much smoother panel lines and correct shapes.
  I will continue to wait for the promise of Wolfpack believing that it will be a much better model than this one from Dream ("Nightmare") Model.
  Have a good week, everyone.
  Claudio

• Like 3

On 4/15/2021 at 6:13 AM, Shalako said:

Be careful! The size of the Italeri back post transparency is smaller than it should be... I saw this in an article on the internet about 4 years ago and compared it to plants and, yes, it's even smaller! Interestingly, the size of the "B" and "F" canopies are the same, I could confirm with plants on the scale.

Regards,
   Claudio

Edited by Claudio Moura

I have the Italeri F-5E and F-5F, so I think it is better to use these kits in order to make an accurate F-5E or F version.  The only problem is to rescribe the panel lines !  Are there other errors on Italeri kits than the back post transparency ?

15 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I have the Italeri F-5E and F-5F, so I think it is better to use these kits in order to make an accurate F-5E or F version.  The only problem is to rescribe the panel lines !  Are there other errors on Italeri kits than the back post transparency ?

Not that I remember! Only size of the backpost transparency... but I do not tecnical informations, drawins or any article to show... I did read in any forum some years ago. I think that you have scale plans in some book, you can confirm this.