Boeing 747-100 50th Anniversary, Revell 1:144

I've finally finished this build.

It's not been long, but it's been fiddly - the engines are the worst fitting parts I think of any Revell kit.

Even installing them to the wings was an issue because the tabs didn't fit in the slots in the underside of the wing, and when I tried to push it in, the upper and lower halves of the wings split along the seam...

So I cut off the tabs and used CA to fit the engines to the wings.

The last job was to attach the wingtip antennas, and now, I must say, I'm glad it's done.  But it doesn't look bad!

The decals went on great, and thankfully for a kit this size, there were not many of them.  The one badly fitting decal was the black nose, which is actually a two-part decal with notches to help it conform to the curvature of the radome.  It didn't go on very well, and I needed to touch it up with some gloss black paint.

I wanted to have this 747 hanging from my ceiling, but the main landing gear parts were too delicate to cut.  I wanted to reposition them with the in-flight cant, but it would not have been possible on this kit.

In any case, I have managed to get all 16 main landing gear tyres flat on the ground, so it looks fine sat on the table.

Here is the 747-100 in its maiden livery:

IMG_1812

IMG_1813

IMG_1814

IMG_1815

IMG_1816

IMG_1817

IMG_1818

• Like 31

28 minutes ago, Moa said:

Well done!

No evident signs of struggle can be detected.

Even in model size somehow it manages to look imposing.

Cheers

I have several more 747s to do, mainly of the -400 series, but after this kit, I'm going to scale down to a few 1:72s for a while!

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember when the prototype 747 was a brand new bird. Your beautifully built model brings back some pleasant memories!

• Like 1

Nice build, Neil. Looks really really good. Looks as if you have captured the old bird quite well, in spite of the struggles and misfits of this newly presented, yet old mold. I remember building one of these when I was a youngster, many years ago, when they first came out. I remember the engines were a bit strange in their assembly, but nothing that couldn't be surmounted with some patience, putty, and sanding. Looks like you've done quite well indeed!I have one of these in my stash, an original with the old TWA "Globe" livery...bought it for $20 at an airline collectibles show a couple years ago. Mine will someday be finished in the first Delta Airlines delivery. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Nice build, Neil. Looks really really good. Looks as if you have captured the old bird quite well, in spite of the struggles and misfits of this newly presented, yet old mold. I remember building one of these when I was a youngster, many years ago, when they first came out. I remember the engines were a bit strange in their assembly, but nothing that couldn't be surmounted with some patience, putty, and sanding. Looks like you've done quite well indeed!I have one of these in my stash, an original with the old TWA "Globe" livery...bought it for $20 at an airline collectibles show a couple years ago. Mine will someday be finished in the first Delta Airlines delivery. Thanks for sharing. 

Patience... I need to stock up on that when I next go to the model store!

• Like 1