Magna Models 1/72 Gloster F9/37

A strangely anonymous aircraft, never given a name, and only ever known by its Air Ministry specification number F.9/37.

This specification was tendered for by Gloster with an adaption of the two seat turret fighter F.34/35 which lost out to the Boulton Paul Defiant.

The prototype F9/37, L7999 first flew on 3rd April 1939, and proved to be fast, agile and easy to fly. 

Fitted with Bristol Taurus engines of 1000hp, it had a top speed of 360mph, and was intended as a night-fighter - in competition with the Beaufighter.

Sadly it was damaged in a landing accident in May 1939.

Rebuilt, and with lower powered engines, it next flew in Spring 1940, with a top speed of 332mph.

A second prototype was built with Rolls Royce Peregrine engines, which had slightly lower performance.

Around this time the project was cancelled, with Gloster being ordered to concentrate on jet powered aircraft.

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-FP.jpg

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-FS.jpg

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-RP.jpg

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-RS.jpg

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-UB.jpg

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-UW.jpg

• Like 17

I saw an article about this aircraft recently, I think it was in Flypast, apparently it was a great aircraft to fly and looked to have potential. With some of the absolute shockers that did manage to make it into service it's suprising this aircraft wasn't given a chance.

Lovely job, I don't think I've ever seen one built before.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, F-32 said:

I saw an article about this aircraft recently, I think it was in Flypast, apparently it was a great aircraft to fly and looked to have potential.

Imagine this with a pair of Bristol Hercules engines - or

the next proposal was Merlin engines. 

• Like 1

Easy to imagine, but much more difficult to actually achieve.  Think of a new stronger internal; structure, with the greater power of the engines requiring larger propellers and hence a wider centre-section, with larger radiators and a greater fuel capacity.   Plus a taller undercarriage, bigger tail and/or longer fuselage for stability.  Probably better to start with a new design.  Perhaps with two of these new-fangled Whittle things?

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Easy to imagine, but much more difficult to actually achieve.  Think of a new stronger internal; structure, with the greater power of the engines requiring larger propellers and hence a wider centre-section, with larger radiators and a greater fuel capacity.   Plus a taller undercarriage, bigger tail and/or longer fuselage for stability.  Probably better to start with a new design.  Perhaps with two of these new-fangled Whittle things?

They did look at re-engining the Westland Whirlwind with Merlins but, as in the example above, the airframe would have needed such extensive changes to accommodate the different engine that you were better off designing a whole new aeroplane - which is what Westland did - and called it the Welkin.