Suggestions for 1/72 T-72M1 kits?

Anthony Kesterton

5 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Had build the Revell once, and gave him markings for the German Bundeswehr in Spring 1991

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/49073499718/in/dateposted/

It was quite okay for me.

modelldoc

Thanks - so one vote for Revell so far.  It might be the only one available.

I'd go with Modelcollect - the revell one has some turret shape errors.

Built a couple of the Modelcollect ones and they are seriously nice kits

All the best

Ben

I would also suggest Modelcollect instead of Revell. The Revell kit is mostly okay, but the turret is really pretty bad. Should you go with Revell but don't like the turret, there are aftermarket turrets (I recall at least Tankograd and Golikov Project), not sure about price or availability though. Here is comparison of Revell and Tankograd turrets, you be the judge: https://smallafv.blogspot.com/2016/02/72.html

The Modelcollect looks really nice. The hull bottom is diecast metal however, not injected plastic. It sure is rigid but you need to use something else than regular plastic glue when attaching wheels.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the suggestions and advice.  I found some nice pictures of Angolan T-72's from the annual tank competition in Russia on Getty Images, and these are flagged as T-72 B3 with some very unusual colour schemes. Found a B3 Modelcollect kit on eBay (eventually), so that should be on its way soon(ish).

(see https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/angola-t-72?mediatype=photography&phrase=angola T-72&sort=best)

All thanks to @Julien who kindly donated an excellent metal barrel.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Nice links.  Perhaps I should have waited and tried to get this version (the comments in one talks about the B3M version as a "competition" version).  Anyway - not seen a source for this one anywhere, even eBay does not have them

• 1 month later...

Personal opinion for a T 72M1 is go for the Revell kit with an aftermarket turret, the Revell hull is correct for an M1 but as said the turret is totally the wrong shape, although with a bit of work could be made into a passable M turret. The Modelcollect kit whilst generally the turret is the correct shape it also suffers from issues in certain areas like the height, also the Modelcollect kit is a bit more clunkier than the Revell. The Tankograd turrets are excellent, as I suppose the Golikov is, but It is hard To get hold of.black dog and model trans also do replacement turrets but the ones I have seen are a bit suspect.

• 3 years later...

I know this is really late, but may prove useful to someone, despite what Wikipedia says Angola seem to operate a mixture of T 72M, T 72A and T 72B variants 

• Like 1