Ikea Detolf shelves

Kev The Modeller

Has anyone managed to find a supplier of toughen/tempered glass to add extra shelves in the Detolf display cases?

The prices I'm getting are ridiculous, it's far cheaper just to buy another whole cabinet and throw away everything but the shelves, I really don't want to do that or have the hassle.  Acrylic is a waste of time, it bow's over time and it's not much cheaper than a whole new cabinet!    

16 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Has anyone managed to find a supplier of toughen/tempered glass to add extra shelves in the Detolf display cases?

The prices I'm getting are ridiculous, it's far cheaper just to buy another whole cabinet and throw away everything but the shelves, I really don't want to do that or have the hassle.  Acrylic is a waste of time, it bow's over time and it's not much cheaper than a whole new cabinet!    

Short answer, no, and I have tried. There doesn't seem to be a source of ready made shelves for these, and having tempered glass cut is always far too expensive. Glad to be proved wrong though.....

Paul.

Not Detolf, but the larger Milsbo.

I've ordered 3 spare/extra glass shelves and the plastic holders from Ikea Service department, and for a very reasonable price (30€ including shipping).

You need the part numbers, those are listed on the website usually.

(Even though I asked for 2 and 10 holders, they sent the parts x3 for a complete cabinet content anyway :P )

Worth a second try - having tempered glass cut to size is always an option but as you've noticed way more costly.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Not Detolf, but the larger Milsbo.

I've ordered 3 spare/extra glass shelves and the plastic holders from Ikea Service department, and for a very reasonable price (30€ including shipping).

You need the part numbers, those are listed on the website usually.

(Even though I asked for 2 and 10 holders, they sent the parts x3 for a complete cabinet content anyway :P )

Worth a second try - having tempered glass cut to size is always an option but as you've noticed way more costly.

Sadly Ikea don't do the shelves as a spare part, why I've no idea they'd make a small fortune.  Ikea are you listening! 

Edited by Kev The Modeller

• 7 months later...

I'm sorry to come late to the party, but I found this supplier by searching on the web. I bought 8 shelves for my two Detolfs, and I've just fitted one, and it looks fine. The shelf is acrylic, not glass and supports up to 3kg. I ordered them early yesterday morning and they arrived about 3.30 today. As the models won't be moving on the acrylic it shouldn't scratch up.

One day Ikea will do an 8 shelf Detolf but until then, I'm sorted.

• Like 1

I have had some of the acrylic shelves in a couple of my Detolfs for a couple of years and have had no problems with them sagging. I guess if you were able to load them with a really heavy kit you might have to watch but filled with 1/72 scale kits they are fine.

Duncan B

So I picked up shelves from E Bay, I think @50 for eight.  Then last summer, about 0730hrs, my wife and I in bed, heard a muffled 

crack noise.  Could not work out what it was, eventually went to the back room where my modelling stuff is kept, and the Detolf door

had exploded for some reason.

Looking online and there looks to be a few of these.

Tried to report to Ikea, no joy, useless support, sorry no support.

https://cdn01.hobbyphotohost.com/p?i=99c59de4c8cf04784ed93f5f7cc569d2

p?i=99c59de4c8cf04784ed93f5f7cc569d2p?i=7bb0bf94cedc777aa415404c6df915d6

p?i=e861c4600af5c98e3369969fcc3d4400

• Sad 6

On 3/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, PLC1966 said:

So I picked up shelves from E Bay, I think @50 for eight.  Then last summer, about 0730hrs, my wife and I in bed, heard a muffled 

crack noise.  Could not work out what it was, eventually went to the back room where my modelling stuff is kept, and the Detolf door

had exploded for some reason.

Looking online and there looks to be a few of these.

Tried to report to Ikea, no joy, useless support, sorry no support.

https://cdn01.hobbyphotohost.com/p?i=99c59de4c8cf04784ed93f5f7cc569d2

p?i=99c59de4c8cf04784ed93f5f7cc569d2p?i=7bb0bf94cedc777aa415404c6df915d6

p?i=e861c4600af5c98e3369969fcc3d4400

That's shocking. Given that (based on a quick google search) this has been a known issue for over 5 years I'm amazed Ikea are still selling the Detolfs.

Wonder what the cause could be, maybe expansion/contraction of the metal fittings applying pressure to the glass??

More likely to be thermal shock. This can happen really randomly at temperatures anywhere between 95c down to 15c. Glad no one was hurt and your models seem to be undamaged.

• Like 1

It really was odd, it had been warm in previous days and overnight.  It sounded like a dull crack and then like a blanket thrown on the floor.  

However I learnt a lesson in support from Ikea.  Can't phone them.  Was supposed to sit on the Faceache page for them to come back to me.  Estimated answer time from Ikeas was 45 minutes, waited and hour with no reply. Useless.

The mystery is what was the trigger. The actual explosion into fragments is simply what safety glass is designed to do if struck on the edge by something hard or on the face by something like gravel. I've had it happen with both a windscreen and two panes of greenhouse glass. The windscreen was shattered by a bit of gravel falling off the overloaded lorry in front of us. The greenhouse glass went when I started to pick the two up together - an almighty bang, followed by the rattle of a couple of sack worths of glass fragments hitting the floor, and when I opened my eyes I was left with two handfulls of glass grit. No cuts though, because the glass fragments didn't have very sharp edges, unlike the jagged daggers you get when un-tempered glass goes. I'd rather suffer the former. I had a very light garden shed window go on me once and it was normal glass, cut an artery between the fingers of my right hand, needed stitching up, but could have been much worse.

I do have 4 Detlof cabinets housing models in the garage and have so far been lucky. The temperature can vary wildly but no accidents so far (they've also been carried between several different countries without loss. So far............)

Paul.

• 1 month later...

I had the same thing happen recently with a glass shower door. Heard what sounded like an explosion or somethingcrashing through the roof & ceiling (surely my stash is not that big I thought...). Went to investigate and in the bathroom there was the answer in the bath - thousands of glass fragments. Lucky there was no one in the bathroom at the time could have resulted in serious injuries. The glass did not simply crack, it shattered explosively and the explosion was spontaneous.  The shower had not been used that day and the weather was neither particularly warm or cold, so what caused it remains a mystery.

Over the years, there have been a small but significant number of reports of this strange, frightening, and potentially dangerous issue. Several theories about the cause of exploding glass have been offered. Tempered glass being like a tightly wound spring can reach a spontaneous breaking point for one of two reasons: an internal flaw, or damage to the glass. A tiny, almost invisible chip or crack can occur if it is nicked by a misaligned screw or is bumped along the delicate outer edges. Such damage does not cause the door to break immediately, but may suddenly give way as temperature changes cause the glass to expand and contract, or even due to vibrations caused by noise.  More rarely, glass can break due to nickel sulfide inclusion, a defect that occurs during the manufacturing process. When a piece of foreign material gets trapped inside the glass when it is manufactured, over time it can cause the glass to shatter for no obvious reason.

Rich