Hawk T.1 (04970) 1:72 Revell

Julien

Hawk T.1 (04970)

1:72 Revell

spacer.png

When the RAF began the search for a new fast jet trainer to replace the Folland Gnat, it was originally intended that the role would be fulfilled by the SEPECAT Jaguar. However, the advanced capabilities demanded of the new Anglo-French aircraft meant that it became too complex for use as a trainer As a result, Hawker Siddley Aviation began work on a private venture known as the P.1182. The design team produced a relatively simple, subsonic aircraft with a number of clever features. The fuselage is designed around a large, tandem cockpit, which features a significant difference in height between the student & instructor. This affords the instructor a much better view than in the Gnat. The wings featured double-slotted flaps which gives the Hawk excellent low-speed handling characteristics. Though the box calls this a BAe Hawk lets not forget it was a Hawker Siddley design. 

The first of the 176 Hawks ordered by the RAF entered service in 1976, designated the Hawk T.1. 88 T.1s were modified to T.1A standard, which allowed them to carry two AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles for use in the emergency air defence role. The Hawks reputation as an excellent aeroplane has been confirmed by the considerable success it has enjoyed in the export market. Users include the air forces of Australia, Canada, Finland, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates amongst others. A highly modified carrier capable version is in service with the United States Navy, where it is known as the T-45 Goshawk. The most famous role occupied by the Hawk, however, is as the mount of the world-renowned Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team the Red Arrows.

The Kit

Revell's kit arrives packed into their new style end-opening box and comprises 90 parts spread across 5 sprues of grey plastic and a single small clear sprue. This version thankfully dispenses with the bright red plastic of the Red Arrows boxing. The smoke pod is also not included, but you now get two sprues of weapons, tanks,  and pylons. The plastic parts themselves are beautifully moulded and engraved details are fine, crisp and clean. The overall shape looks promising on the sprue, but discussions would seem to indicate that it only has the short fin fillet, and rear end as on early aircraft.

spacer.png

In line with the usual model building clichés, construction starts with the cockpit. This prominent feature is made up of a large tandem tub, instrument panels and coamings, control columns and bulkheads. The ejection seats are each made up of three parts and look very good indeed, both in terms of detail and shape. The cockpit is fully detailed, with instruments and controls picked out on both instrument panels and all of the side consoles. Decals are also provided, but I would be hesitant to cover up all of that lovely detail. Once complete, the whole sub-assembly can be sandwiched between the fuselage halves, along with the jet exhaust pipe, fin fillet and airbrake bay interior (the airbrake itself can be fitted in either the open or closed position).

spacer.png

The wing is moulded as a single lower span with separate port and starboard upper wings. Ailerons are moulded in place, and there are quite chunky sprue attachment points on the leading edges of the wing (and the horizontal tail surfaces too). These shouldn't cause any problems for most modellers , but care will need to be taken when removing these parts from the sprue. The undercarriage occupies six stages of the construction process and is very finely detailed indeed. The gear doors are moulded as solid pieces in order to make the wheels-up configuration a little easier to build, so they must be cut up along the moulded score lines in order to finish the model as it would appear on the ground. The cockpit canopy has been moulded in two pieces, so it can be finished in either the open or closed position. The smaller parts such as the blade aerials are very fine indeed. 

spacer.png

Decals
The decals are by Cartograf so there will be no problems there. Only one option is supplied that for 208(R) Sqn RAF 2016 special tail scheme. 

spacer.png

Conclusion
While there are a few Hawks available in this scale, in my view Revell's effort has surpassed the models already on the market, making it the go-to option for those wishing to build a model of the type if you can over look the tail issues.  Recommended.

bin.jpg

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit  logo.jpg t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Julien.

I have the Red Arrows version, but will be getting this for the weapons etc. It will make a nice early TWU grey/green Hawk. The special markings for 208 squadron are tempting.

Definitely the best 1/72 Hawk, but I would still like to see lowered flaps as an option, as Hawks do seem to always be parked with the flaps down.

Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Smudge, having lowered flaps would be nice.  Trying to carve up the kit to show that is  something I have debated bot not yet tried. There is one 1/48th kit which provides separated flaps and the flap actuators in the down position but not in 1/72 scale.

Those weapons provided in the kit are nice, although the instructions are bit over optimistic, suggesting drop tanks on the outer pylons and interesting asymmetric loads.   

I think RAF T1s only ever had inner pylons and I'm not even sure whether they carried drop tanks in service. My  sources imply the machines were plumbed for drop tanks, but the snag is that there bis much confusion between what BAe designed, tested and demonstrated and what the RAF actually used. So many pictures of what appear to be RAF machines with drop tanks seem to be BAe test exercises or publicity shots!  

I guess I would really need to find an ex-RAF maintainer with hands on experience  of the type to find out what was actually fitted. I have heard both 'yes they were plumbed' and 'No they were not in a practical sense; the fittings were in the initial build but never used' from ex-RAF folk with peripheral knowledge .  Any comments?

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Deegee13 said:

I have just bought the Red Arrows version and it will be my first 'non-car' build.

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarkets parts available; specifically cockpit?

I think this is a reboxing of ye olde Italeri Hawk so you will be able to use Airwave's photoetch detail set to add some more detail to the cockpit and a number of manufacturers, for instance Aires, Pavla or PJ Productions produce replacemement resin Martin Baker Mk.10 ejector seats.

Enjoy your first foray into the world of aircraft modelling - this is a good starting point. 

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

I think this is a reboxing of ye olde Italeri Hawk

It isn't, it's a new tooling based on the bigger 1/32 Revell kit and first saw the light of day in a Red Arrows boxing. This newer release has weapons pylons etc.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

It isn't, it's a new tooling based on the bigger 1/32 Revell kit and first saw the light of day in a Red Arrows boxing. This newer release has weapons pylons etc.

I stand corrected - it's Revell's earlier iteration of the Hawk which is rebox of the Italeri version :) 

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

I think this is a reboxing of ye olde Italeri Hawk so you will be able to use Airwave's photoetch detail set to add some more detail to the cockpit and a number of manufacturers, for instance Aires, Pavla or PJ Productions produce replacemement resin Martin Baker Mk.10 ejector seats.

Enjoy your first foray into the world of aircraft modelling - this is a good starting point. 

Great, Thanks. Wanted to start with something small, but iconic.