Hi all,

As teased in the other thread, I finished off the Tiger Sharks which are the bigger T'au planes - more bomber than fighter.

50261273121_6d86fbd59e_b.jpg

I wasn't totally sold on the finish on the Barracudas I did first - the enamel always makes things a bit messy and sticky and then it's hard to get rid of every last piece of fluff. I thought I'd take advantage of the big panel lines and use acrylics this time round. It turns out that you can get quite nice soft effects around features by pre-wetting the area with medium and then wicking the paint into the detail. And because the original paint was lacquer (and sealed with Klear) I could use a wet cocktail stick when I needed to clean up.

50261464012_7766ce772b_b.jpg
50261272456_4462b18685_b.jpg

I need to take some pics of the whole flight, but before I do that I'll try and fix the silvering on the small triangular decals, and clean up a blotch I noticed.

One of them has an open missile bay with red-edges doors like a proper plane :)

50260614413_d3d94528df_b.jpg
50261464427_6ee4ac4808_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Will

• Like 17

On 8/27/2020 at 4:55 AM, Hunter Rose said:

Nice panel variation, impressive at that scale 😎

Thanks Nick, it was mostly done by taking a leaf out of Andy Moore's book and painting on thin acrylic glazes - I mixed them from the Contrast paints, but I think Andy uses Vallejo.

There's quite bit of white highlighting on the edges too, but it's hard to see against Insignia White, which I guess is good 'cos then it looks subtle :)

Will

• Like 2

Forgot - here they are together. I might end up retouching the Barracudas as the white-then-brown chipping on the red looks really messy in the small scale.

50273254182_c8aa65cf6d_b.jpg

Will 

• Like 4

Nice work Will. I really like the schemes on these. The curved red section at the front makes a great contrast to the angular design of the Tiger Sharks

On 24/08/2020 at 10:35, Will Vale said:

the enamel always makes things a bit messy and sticky and then it's hard to get rid of every last piece of fluff

That's the main reason I've cut down on using them. You can get much cleaner results with acrylics, especially at small scales.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have a good way to get the blends (without glazing over and over at very low opacity levels, for which I don't have the patience!) but now that I've got an answer to that it's much more attractive.

Will