How can I separate glued sections of an old kit?

Mikey-1980

Morning All!

i am in the process of refurbishing an old Enterprise D kit I made when I was 16. Presently, the drive section is sat in a bucket of Dettol solution to strip away the current paint job, however some sections are still very much stuck together and they well need to be separated.

As a teaser for the up and coming build thread these and the warp nacelles are still glued together and I was curious to see if there is a way to safely dissolve the 24 year old liquid poly glue I used in this build so that I can separate the section and work on lighting up these sections.

DSC_3384

Any help and tip would be a massive help :)

Cheers

Mike

hi Mikey ,

use the thin styrene glue repeatedly and tug at it

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gents,

The freezer technique may be the best approach to start with an see what happens. As luck would have it, parts of the kit are already beginning to separat through age so with some luck it may work

The Primary hull will go in the freezer now while the drive section sits in the dettol solution.

:)

Edited by Mikey-1980

So......it worked!

The primary hull is now completely separated and into its individual parts.

Once the drive section is finished in the dettol solution, they will be subject to the freezer for an hour or so :)