Bf110C-4 Night Fighter

Hello guys here's my interpretation of the plane flown by Walter Ehle St Trond, Belgium. Zerstorer Stab II.NJG1 (G9+AC).

There is contradicting information on the web as to whether Ehle' s plane was a C, D or an E version. I went with the C4 version. Please let me know how accurate it is. This was a steep learning curve to understand the differences between versions.

These black knight fighters are a challenge if you want to present them with natural weathering. This particular plane didn't look too weathered in the photo's.

Please post your comments they are very welcome, especially as I try to replicate the original as best I can. 

Thanks for looking. 

20200824_154554

20200824_154328

20200824_154614

20200824_154635

20200816_170934

Edited by Walter
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 2

An excellent portrayal of this early nightfighter! The panel joints look very good to my eyes, being highlighted in grey.

It's a brave builder indeed that dares display his model in harsh sunlight and all the more impressive then, that it looks so good in this unforgiving light!

A minor nitpick concerning the engine covers – AFAIK, they weren't longitudinally divided, so those lengthwise joints would've benefitted from being filled and sanded down.

Messerschmitt-Bf-110C-Zerstorer-2.ZG26-(

A model you can be proud of!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

An excellent portrayal of this early nightfighter! The panel joints look very good to my eyes, being highlighted in grey.

It's a brave builder indeed that dares display his model in harsh sunlight and all the more impressive then, that it looks so good in this unforgiving light!

A minor nitpick concerning the engine covers – AFAIK, they weren't longitudinally divided, so those lengthwise joints would've benefitted from being filled and sanded down.

Messerschmitt-Bf-110C-Zerstorer-2.ZG26-(

A model you can be proud of!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim may have to fix that. 

38 minutes ago, Properjob56 said:

Thanks for that.

Ignoring its 1959 effort, the current one was released in 2010 and reissued in 2017 I beleive.

I had a look at it on a few reviews, Eduard is now the benchmark for BF110 in 1/72. I've made the Italeri kit but it looks a little strange sitting next to my Eduard builds. Before Eduard released this series in 2012 the Airfix kit was looking very good. I'll keep an eye of for this kit I may as well build this one too, but I'm sure Eduard will still be my favourite.

I don't doubt it. I've a 75% made one on the shelf of doom, a victim of trying a chipping coat and letting it dry for 24 hours! The detail was exquisite.

I made an early Airfix one in my youth and it was what you'd expect from a 60 yr old kit. I haven't tried the new mould but hear the panel lines are a bit trench like.

I also have a Fujimi waiting in the pile. If its anything like the 1/48 version it'll be easy to assemble but with limited and so inaccurate as to be fictitious internal detail.

Extremely good!  

I have only built the new-tool Airfix kit, which is a passable rendition, but the Eduard kit (though I haven't built one) is definitely the winner on fidelity, accuracy & detail.

Your night fighter finish looks great.

👍👍

• Thanks 1