1/12 MFH Eagle Gurney-Weslake Build

Dragon

I’m going to attempt a WIP with this kit. This is my first MM kit, and only my third automotive build (I’m typically a modern jet and a modern armor builder). The first two builds were Tamiya 1/20 F1 kits. You may be wondering with only two automotive builds under my belt why would I jump head first into the deep end with a 1/12 MM kit. Well, in looking for another F1 kit, I stumbled across MFH, and after reading about their kits, I found myself intrigued with the challenge of doing a MM kit. I planned on getting a 1/20 MFH MS80 and doing a Jackie Stewart ride. Looking for info on the web for MFH MS80 builds, I came across PC2012’s (Rest and Build in Peace) build of a 1/20 Eagle here on BM, and after seeing the pic of the car he has in his post, I knew I wanted to build this car and kit. Just love the lines of this car! However, the 1/20 kit was no longer available, so it had to be the 1/12 kit if I wanted to build a MM kit of this car. So, that’s why I’m in the deep end.

A couple of things regarding this build: first, this will be an OOB build; I’m not concerned with complete accuracy. I’ve been frustratingly bogged down with builds in the past trying to achieve it. I’ve learned (finally) the goal of a build is to enjoy the build’s journey. Second, this will be a slow build as I’ve committed to a couple of GBs on another forum, but I’ll do my best to keep making progress and posting updates.

Finally, I know I’ll be needing help figuring out how to build this type of kit and deal with its issues, and I’ll be asking questions. So hopefully, this community will come to my assistance, share tips, and help get me across the finish line.     

Ok, enough babbling on to the WIP! 

vV8qZMl.jpg

After going through each bag to confirm all the parts are there, I set aside the main components for the engine:

RVqYTjg.jpg

After a little clean up, I dry fitted them together:  

5ZMBDTR.jpg

W3NKGgj.jpg

uQtLycX.jpg

4FK903G.jpg

I’m awaiting the arrival of some etching primer to get going on some painting for the engine. In the mean time, back to cleaning up parts. I'll get an update as soon as I have something worthwhile to share.

Thanks for looking in!

Mike

• Like 9

This should make an interesting read, good luck with your build. I'm sure there are lots of people here with MFH experience willing to guide you in the process. Not me, I'll just be watching 😉 

• Like 1

Hope you like rivets? 😀

Any Eagle build is a joy to watch as it has to be one of the finest looking F1 cars made.

• Like 2

Hooo, you got me interested. One of my favorite racing cars from the '60's. Not got the cash for an MFH kit, so I'll content myself by watching your build.

Colin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for stopping in for a look.

The metal etching primer finally arrived. I ordered the Mr. Metal Primer (anyone know what the "-R" means?) and the Tamiya version. 

skS9jKZ.jpg

It's my first time using this type of primer, and it interesting why they made them clear. Anyone know the reason? Definitely makes it difficult to determine if you have primed the parts adequately. 

I haven't made much progress with the build. I've mostly been cleaning up parts, checking/filing/sanding the mating surfaces of parts, and drilling connection holes in parts. Some of these parts are small! I've already fed the carpet monster a fuel injector! Thankfully, there are spares. I have been struggling a bit on the building and the priming sequences. What I've decided is to primer the metal part, glue it to the resin part, and then primer the assembly with Tamiya Surface Primer. I'm undoubtedly over thinking this!

I did manage to get a couple of parts paints: oil filter and the head covers. Really like the look of the head covers being black with the silver lettering. Hopefully, it'll be seen once the build is complete.

2yfIvIE.jpg

iT9HRM2.jpg

Not big accomplishments, but it's progress.

Hope to gain some momentum as I get my head around how to proceed with the build.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

• Like 3

14 hours ago, silver911 said:

...and will be living my dream through your build :)

Respect

Ron

Hopefully, I don't turn your dream into a nightmare! :shocked:

Looking to use some of your techniques on my build, and with some luck, I'll be able to get somewhat close to what you achieve. 

Cheers - Mike

7 hours ago, Dragon said:

Hopefully, I don't turn your dream into a nightmare! :shocked:

Looking to use some of your techniques on my build, and with some luck, I'll be able to get somewhat close to what you achieve. 

Cheers - Mike

I sincerely doubt it will be nothing other than a fun journey mate :)

Help yourself to anything of mine you think will work for you Mike...if I can help in any way...you know where I hang out.

Ron

• Like 1