Firefly skyraider

SoftScience

Since I like to overreach (and not accomplish) during group builds, I took on a third build. This is Tamiya's A-1J in 1:48 scale.

I'm building my kit as a 602nd squadron special ops aircraft.

IMG-20200823-222524.jpg

These planes flew night sorties in support of Hmong guerrillas in Laos in the 1960s. The Laotian fighting is a fascinating and often overlooked aspect of the Vietnam war.

Anyhow, 602nd aircraft would fire flares and small rockets to light up targets at night. And during the days they flew in support of missions to rescue downed airmen.  Think the scene where Willem DaFoe's character dies in "Flight of the Intruder"

The Tamiya kit is pretty spiffy. It's very simple and I anticipate a quick build. I decided to begin with ordnance, as I hate this part of the build and tend to rush it at the end, in order to finish quickly. 

Something about flying cylinder halves together just bugs me out. They never fit really well, and require filling and it's a giant mess.

These fit OKAY, for the most part, but some filler was needed on the mini-gun pod and the smaller rocket launchers.

There will be cleaning up to do when the putty dries. The large drop tanks will also need some seam cleanup and probably some rescribing.

I like how Tamiya made the large tanks with poly caps.l, so they can be easily attached and removed. 

IMG-20200823-222510.jpg

More to come, soon.

• Like 10

welcome along with and awesome build!!!

I was really hoping someone would show up with one of these Tamiya beasts. I have been coveting one of these for ages, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

They were an incredible last hurrah for the big piston engine aircraft, and played an important part in the activities in this area.

Like a lot of the new 1/48th Tamiya aircraft it should be a really nice build. They're not perfect but are worth it.

Good luck with the build, I will follow this one with special interest.

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2020 at 11:35, SoftScience said:

The weapons have been base painted. They still need to be tarted up with detail painting and weathering. But for now I'm moving on to the cockpit.

Smooooooooth weapons 😁

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2020 at 1:25 PM, PlaStix said:

Awesome work on the weapons loadout so far! Looking forward to seeing your work on the cockpit! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I hope this doesn't disappoint.

I kept it simple for the cockpit. Clean, smooth, and out of the box. The side consoles were done old school, with a toothpick. The instruments are a decal with ultra flat Lucky Varnish and Krystal Clear over the instruments.

IMG-20200827-222355.jpg

Seat belts are the kit decals cut out, backing paper blackened with permanent marker, and glued in place. Then coated with Lucky Varnish. That stuff really brushes on well.

IMG-20200827-222333.jpg

I was going to add the pilot, but he's one of Tamiya's worst figures and has a stiff pose and a dumb looking turtle-man face. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, busnproplinerfan said:

What?! no resin cockpit with pre painted photoetch.

I've used them on occasion, but I've realized that I don't care overly much about super detailing cockpits. Nobody is going to be looking in there. 

• Like 2

Over the last few evenings, I also added some detail and basic weathering to the stores. 

I wanted to make the drop tank look like it had been rolled along the tarmac and fuel depot ground. I still need to add the characteristic oil leaks. 

IMG-20200828-104227.jpg

The LAUs and gun pods got some general grunge and little dings. 

IMG-20200828-104159.jpg

IMG-20200828-104140.jpg

and the tubular bomblet dispensers (I thought these were rocket tubes at first, but nope). These don't look great, but probably good enough. 

IMG-20200828-104115.jpg

• Like 8

It's the thick fuselage to tail transition. It's like cankles :D

Anyway, I've got it almost ready for.paint. but first, two questions:

1) for aircraft with black undersides, would the landing gear bays also have been painted black?

2) did the camouflage pattern run under the canopy or was that area black?

IMG-20200829-223146.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2