Water Bomber in Croatia - Real flying.

bentwaters81tfw

Awesomely fantastic action, piloting and footage. What a wonderful aeroplane and brave daring crews flying them.   When I get the chance I will have to dig out my Heller kit and LEM decals.... and get on and try to finish the decorating stage of my 1/144 build too.

• Like 2

Blimme! What height is the aircraft flying at in some of this footage? It looks like 20 or 30 feet in places. This has to some of the most dangerous flying anywhere in the world. 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

Wow, that's confidence in your aircraft and skills for you!

What a pity you can't get decals for these Croatian machines - just about every other operator, but not them..... I have both the 215 and 415 kits I'd like to finish in these markings.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Wow, that's confidence in your aircraft and skills for you!

What a pity you can't get decals for these Croatian machines - just about every other operator, but not them..... I have both the 215 and 415 kits I'd like to finish in these markings.

I suspect they are Italian by the tricolour cheatline.

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

It looks like 20 or 30 feet in places.

Yeah...looks about 4-5 meters in some places.  The most impressive run, imho, was over the top of the ridge and down the slope (2:33+/-).  Wow!  Probably use the weight of the payload to push down and then the lack of water to be able to get the nose back up to clear the railroad bridge.  Mad skills, as they say.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I suspect they are Italian by the tricolour cheatline.

It's a Croatian one - here's a photo of the same airframe I took in Dubrovnik in 2013:

50263632861_f13a3f453b_b.jpgcroatia 811 by paulbradley109, on Flickr

They are very proud of their 'Canadians':

https://www.morh.hr/kategorija/protupozarne-aktivnosti-2020/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blimey, that's all a bit lower than you see water drops in the US or Canada.

Impressive stuff and some footage from the flightdeck would be interesting.

Dave

I guess when they advertised for pilots they said it was seat of the pants flying.  What they didn't say was that you measured your altitude by whether the seat of your pants was brushing against the bushes.  Thats as low as you want to get up against a hillside.  

On 8/24/2020 at 9:44 PM, spruecutter96 said:

This has to some of the most dangerous flying anywhere in the world.

Definitely with you there.

r0_0_3991_2661_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-30/nsw-bushfire-air-tanker-crash-victims-honoured-at-memorial-serv/11913924

and

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2020/c130-large-air-tanker-accident/#:~:text=The Australian Transport Safety Bureau,three aircrew were fatally injured.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Sad 1

Just now, Paul J said:

it was a Herk

Yeah, it went down while fighting bushfires in Australia earlier this year.

I think there was a similar crash of a large firefighting aircraft in the US a few years ago, where it pulled up too hard and the wings separated from the fuselage.

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Here's a Canadian CL-215T.

39740264000_f29815685a_b.jpg

Photo taken at the 2016 Edmonton Airshow.

Chris

Nice Scheme. But I do believe the designation is supposed to be CL-415. The 215 being the earlier piston engine variant.😉  By the way I would like to see decals for thi one in 1/72 and 1/144 for the A Model kit

8 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Nice Scheme. But I do believe the designation is supposed to be CL-415. The 215 being the earlier piston engine variant.😉  By the way I would like to see decals for thi one in 1/72 and 1/144 for the A Model kit

No, this is a CL-215T. It was built as a 215 with radial engines, but was later converted to turbo-prop powered.

Chris

• Like 4

2 hours ago, daneel said:

Some of my pics of Croatian CL-415, taken on a cold winter's day... if anyone wants to build one :)

Right click/Save - thanks, Daneel!

I'd love to build one - but where would I get the decals? 😥  Is there a Croatian company that prints them? 

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

No, this is a CL-215T. It was built as a 215 with radial engines, but was later converted to turbo-prop powered.

Chris

Aah!  That one confused me then. Wasn't aware of that.  Still a nice aeroplane though.

• Like 1

Strewth, that was impressive flying to extraordinarily tight limits.  Even if you know the terrain and area well, to come so close to those slopes takes skill and judgement; the sides of those rills varies all over the place. At times the margins seemed less than 3 metres.  It only needs one slightly higher lip. Clearly done  with 'appropriate' exit vectors but such tight margins. I bet that uses up airframe fatigue life as well as crew adrenaline fast!   

My compliments Daneel, if that is what you do. That had us holding our breath - my partner, now wife, wants to be a fire bomber pilot. That video clip doesn't seem to have put her off, yet! 

On 8/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, John B (Sc) said:

My compliments Daneel, if that is what you do. That had us holding our breath - my partner, now wife, wants to be a fire bomber pilot. That video clip doesn't seem to have put her off, yet! 

Hi John, no, I'm not a pilot at all, just an aircraft enthusiast, those pictures were taken one year when our air force had an anniversary, and had an sort of "open day" at their main operating base, here in Zagreb. The fire bombers are usually stationed at the coast, so it was a rare sight to see them in Zagreb. I must say that here in Croatia we are all very proud of our CL-415 and Air Tractor drivers, they're the bravest bunch I've ever seen. Also, they're not only defending our coast, but also help out in defending against fires all over the mediterranian sea too. They've been all over, from Portugal to Israel.

• Like 4