Fugitive from the shelf of doom Tamiya Alpine A110 SC 1/24

I can't remember exactly when I bought this kit, but it could easily be fifteen to twenty years ago.  Thanks to a messed up paint job it ended up being shoved into storage but I found it when sorting out my loft during lock down and decided it was high time for one last rescue attempt.  Thanks to people on here for tips on stripping and repainting and for replacement decals.

This is the thread covering the rebuild.  I started it so long ago there are no photos of the early stage of the build.

Anyway, I set up my "photo studio" to take some pretty pictures.

y4m7vUfx4WmdIKMxYs-n_VUh-uhYpO60wXf0n_F5

y4mzbb_TK7ctXldLl8nHNGMg3SmsyMt2is7Eg7pf

y4m0lofcDK-ggfRU_rHJXV0xgb6MkuTWL5CnrC8G

y4m4TbjZiZX9lYauQK8pSdVM6DR7iJkeoh4NQkrg

y4m-XpWk1LQhrMMq8s3e3Rso8gLXx7fmeQENXy0H

A little bit of overspray from the interior and a little slip of the chrome pen.

y4m5ly6Q2CoOH5rRnEXy_RH76cMzWajMzWUsdRdI

Headlamp eyebrows have flaked a bit, panel wash is a bit uneven.

y4mqKuVtpZZpbl54robkgJOqAzme37h5rIf8ndfg

Slightly wonky ALPINE script

y4mvX5ECW4COpM3TiPdUg-C5Izr3eeE4Jg0auKFV

y4m7e0bQnlA080LdQiS4GtuRurwa8ylnalwdIN0j

Decals are a bit uneven and the wrong way around.

y4mFk4WkeTeV6eMd0kX1ue_Xbs6FMrVqwSTeh7Lu

y4mWwMO79M3Ycwu9VgDhOLA73PFfNumPyD3emHP1

y4mIaCiEdq9SlMyBt7o9eQRH0dVGSQX2_GkWrAgG

For some reason that's all the photos I can upload at the moment but there are a few more to come.

• Like 21

A few more photos.

y4mjY3d2ZheqKskpVIVbwdSTncedh_wROuPlIpC9

I wish the interior was more visible, but I quite like how it looks here.

y4mKwJgUItytaTn5GLwjxHrnUn09o2-kPuoWHKWY

Underside view.  I did think about lifting the engine cover to take a photo, but I've got it sitting nicely and I don't want to dislodge it.

y4mHB-KVjIaxZVoJZDMP2EagFivZHezJ_bYoPNbG

At home in the display cabinet.

y4mrpIUXFYx3dLj9zp9sk-zsJYhQR-eKmxvpniDk

It's rather dwarfed by the 1969 Plymouth GTX (RFI coming soon) but in real life most things would be!

The Alpine is a good kit, as I said in the WIP thread I think all the issues I've had are because of things I've done.  If you like quirky French sports cars (or any sort of unusual cars) then I can recommend this kit if you can find one.

• Like 5

Very nice build, I bet it's good to get it finished after a decade. Not that I'd know - there I times where I feel I must be the only modeller who doesn't have a shelf of doom...

I wouldn't worry about the minor issues you've mentioned, I'd bet nobody would notice if you didn't point them out. You may be able to reduce the chrome slip though - if you get a wooden cocktail stick, dip in IPA and rub gently you should be able to get it back (almost!) to the yellow. Molotow chrome does seem to be very susceptible to IPA which helps with removing it from where it's not wanted.

• Thanks 1

You don't need to point out what you think is wrong with it John, other people can do that!

Looks good from here, particularly the paint finish which appears to have a period-correct sheen (not over glossy) and most important of all, smooth. I'd be happy with that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi John,

Sorry must have missed this one, all the errors you point out are only visible because you have enlarged them on the photo.   As I said before you have probably chosen the hardest colour to get a good paint from a can, its very easy to get not enough coverage or too thick, your's looks spot on.  Great resurrection.   Andy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...