Academy 1/72 USAAF B17E

Hi all,

Originally destined for commission into RAF service as a Fortress Mk.II of Coastal Command (to compliment my Mk.III build) and having already purchased a Kit World decal sheet for the privilege, the build didn't quite go as planned. Having rectified the dihedral issue with the Academy tool and subsequently using a large amount of filler on the fuselage, I regrettably decided that the finish was not pristine enough for a white base coat, which in my experience is a difficult enough challenge to get right as it is... so built out of the box using kit decals and unmodified.

After a number of other issues which varied from wrong fuselage colours, frosting of the gloss coat and further frosting of Tamiya Flat Clear (never happened before) which almost resulted on the model being binned countless times, I decided with an impending career change and likely one of my last builds for a while, that I had spent too long on it to give up; it ended up as a decent result.

There are 2 things that I dislike about this build. The first is a soft white edge around the glazing when the masks are removed which is Halfords Primer. I don't understand why this is left over as the glazing is sprayed black before primer and then followed by a base coat on top?

Also with the excessive sanding, some of the windows have filler dust on the insides which can be seen on the 3rd picture on the top windows.

Displayed below on a Noys Minatures 1/72 WWII airfield base from Hannants, some items from the Airfix Bomber Resupply set and IBG's very nice Scammel Heavy Recovery vehicle to add a touch of American.

DSC-6032.jpg

DSC-6034.jpg

DSC-6044.jpg

DSC-6053.jpg

DSC-6067.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 30

Despite the problems, you've produced a very impressive model and the diorama is wonderful. Vehicles, stands and well painted figures bring the airplane to life.

• Like 1

Very nice end result for all the problems you encountered.  I like the look of the OD especially.

I've had similar issues occasionally with masks, so it's not just you, but as you alluded to it's been with the base or primer coat showing instead of the top coat.  Perhaps too many and/or thick coats in your case? 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Clear parts can be a pain, I get that sometimes, particularly if the grey primer has been applied thickly. Superb paint job, love the different shades you’ve created. Can you take the nose cone off to spray one of those aerosol keyboard cleaners inside to remove the dust? They come with a straw that you can bend around corners.

superb finish despite the fight it gave :)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 3:36 PM, Mark Joyce said:

Very nice end result for all the problems you encountered.  I like the look of the OD especially.

I've had similar issues occasionally with masks, so it's not just you, but as you alluded to it's been with the base or primer coat showing instead of the top coat.  Perhaps too many and/or thick coats in your case? 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm wondering whether the primer is too thick for the scale, or applied to thick, as it didn't happen on the other B17 which wasn't primed...

On 8/23/2020 at 8:17 PM, woody37 said:

Clear parts can be a pain, I get that sometimes, particularly if the grey primer has been applied thickly. Superb paint job, love the different shades you’ve created. Can you take the nose cone off to spray one of those aerosol keyboard cleaners inside to remove the dust? They come with a straw that you can bend around corners.

superb finish despite the fight it gave :)

Many thanks, I've tried sticking a cotton bud up the through the side windos for the gun mounts but it was a little short, so will try again soon. I thought i'd only tacked the nose on but it appears the tamiya extra thin may have flowed a little further than I wanted...