Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost (early conversion) help

phat trev

Off the top of my head notable differences are

Long stalky undercarriage

Cockpit and canopy a la piston provost ie no ejector seats, flat windscreens and birdcage canopy

No fillet in front of the dorsal fin, again like the piston provost

No tip tanks

Protojets did a resin kit of a T1 years ago, otherwise the easiest route is to cross kit an Airfix T3 (old or new tool) with a Matchbox or S&M piston provost

@viscount806x may be able to help out with info on the conversion, he's done one here -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Off the top of my head notable differences are

Long stalky undercarriage

Cockpit and canopy a la piston provost ie no ejector seats, flat windscreens and birdcage canopy

No fillet in front of the dorsal fin, again like the piston provost

No tip tanks

Protojets did a resin kit of a T1 years ago, otherwise the easiest route is to cross kit an Airfix T3 (old or new tool) with a Matchbox or S&M piston provost

@viscount806x may be able to help out with info on the conversion, he's done one here -

I did indeed do this conversion but over 40 years ago now. I used the (then) widely available and cheap Airfix T.3 (old tool) and the (then) quite recent Matchbox Piston Provost T.1.

The work is quite straightforward  using just the nose of the JP and the major parts of the PP.  The only real work involves opening up the u/c bays and splitting open the rear end to accommodate the teeny weeny jetpipe and building up the tail bumper area with milliput or similar. This area varied a bit between the prototype and the short run production versions so check your references. You'll have to source a noseleg and wheel but the PP main legs can be used with a little dressing up.  There was a single centre inst panel too and some other minor things like intake boundary layer outlets on the lower side but otherwise very do-able indeed. All the more so with a decent front end now available. Go for it.