Jump to content

Meng 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 triplane


Bear Paw
 Share

Recommended Posts


Mine arrived mid week, delighted with it.

Gave it a good inspection, no short shot plastic injection, its all there, know what that term means to some though, sometimes it means parts are not fully formed at sprue injection process?

In any case my kit is fine, it does have the wing warp issue ... but again, its only an issue if you want it to be and cant overcome basic scale model assembly skills ... not having ago at anyone, my modelling skills are mediocre, but hey, even I can fix this slight wing warp in good quality plastic as we have in this kit :)
 

Main top wing here with obviously a bit more snipping needing done and careful sprue point sanding ETC, this is not a scientific experiment, but a fairly flat surface quick experiment, even a little weight is taking the wing warp out already.
 

Hope I’ve illustrated the potential problem OK, honestly think fitting just the wing struts will pull it all together just fine ... but I'll definitely soften and straighten/flatten the wings first.

Its a wonderful kit, much much better than my Roden one.

sGTR3P6.jpg

bFyweiN.jpg

hGqJerd.jpg

pbCYVel.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

    Even the awful original Eduard Albatros C.III wings (akin to a banana) and the Dragon Fokker D.VIIs, which were miles worse than what you have in those shots, could be straightened just by flexing, albeit somewhat agressively because the plastic was very thick and not of the best quality. No heat needed, just hold the ends with your fingers and push with your thumbs until the side that was being stretched  went lighter due to the stress, at which point it was both straight and stable. Tempted to get one of these now.

 

Paul.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an aside, when I was checking all my stock when they arrived it was obvious to me what was causing the damage to the cockpit coaming that some were reporting (I had 2 examples of out of 30 kits). The packers at the Factory were placing the sprue with the seat on facing up right under the sprue with the middle wing on. The back of the seat was pressing directly onto the cockpit coaming part on the next sprue and if the box was squeezed it was enough to pop the part. The witness marks on the poly bags were obvious to see. After inspecting all mine I turned the sprues over so the seat back was facing to the bottom of the box.

 

Duncan B

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

      I've received one of these yesterday and had a good look. I'd just like to knock this warped wing bit on the head if you don't mind. I know you shouldn't expect it in a modern kit, but worse things happen at sea, and although mine all had more pronounced warping than I've seen in online photos, I have just fixed it this morning. It took less than a minute, simply flexing the wing while bracing with my thumbs. That was a couple of hours ago and they're still fixed. I also scraped the very fine line along the mould parting on one of the wing  leading edges to see how the plastic worked and if it would be an issue (I don't have time to actually build it yet). Folks, the plastic works beautifully. Slightly used n.11 scalpel, 30 seconds to remove the seam (I wouldn't go so far as to call it flash) by careful scraping. And although there are many sprue gates, side cutters take care of most of them without tearing the plastic and the excess sands off easily. The only thing I'd recommend, which I think I've seen refered to once, is a light sanding to knock back the rib detal a little bit.

 

    Aside from that, and the inevitable bit of knocked loose coaming (which really does look easy to fix - just regard it as an extra part) the only other issue with the kit I can see is a badly bent centre section strut. It looks as though this was caused by the same cause as the wing warp, i.e. pressure from the runner frame. Hasn't happened with the other struts or any other part, shouldn't have happened, but again was fixed by a few moments flexing. When built the weight of the top wing should mostly be taken by the interplane struts so I don't think it will recur.

 

    End of sermon. Just so you know......................

 

Paul.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

      I've received one of these yesterday and had a good look. I'd just like to knock this warped wing bit on the head if you don't mind. I know you shouldn't expect it in a modern kit, but worse things happen at sea, and although mine all had more pronounced warping than I've seen in online photos, I have just fixed it this morning. It took less than a minute, simply flexing the wing while bracing with my thumbs. That was a couple of hours ago and they're still fixed. I also scraped the very fine line along the mould parting on one of the wing  leading edges to see how the plastic worked and if it would be an issue (I don't have time to actually build it yet). Folks, the plastic works beautifully. Slightly used n.11 scalpel, 30 seconds to remove the seam (I wouldn't go so far as to call it flash) by careful scraping. And although there are many sprue gates, side cutters take care of most of them without tearing the plastic and the excess sands off easily. The only thing I'd recommend, which I think I've seen refered to once, is a light sanding to knock back the rib detal a little bit.

 

    Aside from that, and the inevitable bit of knocked loose coaming (which really does look easy to fix - just regard it as an extra part) the only other issue with the kit I can see is a badly bent centre section strut. It looks as though this was caused by the same cause as the wing warp, i.e. pressure from the runner frame. Hasn't happened with the other struts or any other part, shouldn't have happened, but again was fixed by a few moments flexing. When built the weight of the top wing should mostly be taken by the interplane struts so I don't think it will recur.

 

    End of sermon. Just so you know......................

 

Paul.

Glad to know you got it all sorted out without any fuss. Really sorry that despite my checking you still managed to get a broken coaming, either my eyes had gone by that stage (we worked until after 11pm the night they arrived to get them checked) or it was ready to let go and Mr Postie gave it a final shake too many. 

 

Duncan B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Glad to know you got it all sorted out without any fuss. Really sorry that despite my checking you still managed to get a broken coaming, either my eyes had gone by that stage (we worked until after 11pm the night they arrived to get them checked) or it was ready to let go and Mr Postie gave it a final shake too many. 

 

Duncan B

I appreciate the trouble you took. I don't think you missed it, I think it was on the point of going when you rescued it, witness that it didn't come off the sprue attachment (which to be fair was visibly more robust than where the part snapped). Due to the nature of the shape it was an accident waiting to happen, and I'd not be suprised if many that arrive intact get knocked off by the builders in due course. I reckon my postie gives all my incoming mail a stress test anyway, so as you suggest that was probably the final straw.

 

Paul.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Ted said:

Torbjorn posted this link in another thread, Looks like Eduard is going to box these kits as well with a couple other marking options (page 19 of the leaflet).

 

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2021-01en.pdf

 

 

I think you'll find that is just a decal sheet not a full kit.

 

Duncan B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

I think you'll find that is just a decal sheet not a full kit.

 

Duncan B

Ah, thank you. Missed that in the sidebar of the catalogue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI to all. 

 

I started working on this kit, and it's been great fun so far. But note the fit of the lower wing is tricky. 

 

Meng wants you to fit the mid wing first, don't do this as it will make accessing the lower wing root more difficult. Work your way up, instead.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/09/2020 at 16:59, Howlindawg said:

That's good news.

 

I have one ordered from my local shop and another flying pigeon class from China.
It looks like the official import will get here first. :D

Well it was a good plan...

The Chinese purchase didn't materialise because the vendor couldn't arrange air freight to Ireland.

The local shop has been shut down under COVID so no joy there.

 

So it fell to the ever reliable @Duncan B to hook me up with a kit.

 

Thanks Duncan, looking forward to this one, I just need to pick a scheme.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Well it was a good plan...

The Chinese purchase didn't materialise because the vendor couldn't arrange air freight to Ireland.

The local shop has been shut down under COVID so no joy there.

 

So it fell to the ever reliable @Duncan B to hook me up with a kit.

 

Thanks Duncan, looking forward to this one, I just need to pick a scheme.

I have heard there is an interesting red one that you may have seen? 😏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have taken the plunge and got one for myself, it'll be built as the F.1 as I had to send the Dr.1 tailplane out to a customer (:bye: he's a member here too) who's kit part was really badly warped (first time I've heard of the tailplanes being affected). The replacement part will eventually arrive from Meng but I like the look of that stripy finish on Voss's machine and the back story of that amazing dog-fight was enough to swing it for me so the kit is staying with me. 

I have no idea how I'm going to paint that finish but I'll worry about that when I get to it (could be long enough).

 

Duncan B

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I have taken the plunge and got one for myself, it'll be built as the F.1 as I had to send the Dr.1 tailplane out to a customer (:bye: he's a member here too) who's kit part was really badly warped (first time I've heard of the tailplanes being affected). The replacement part will eventually arrive from Meng but I like the look of that stripy finish on Voss's machine and the back story of that amazing dog-fight was enough to swing it for me so the kit is staying with me. 

I have no idea how I'm going to paint that finish but I'll worry about that when I get to it (could be long enough).

 

Duncan B

That is good to hear Duncan, get stuck in and see what happens, that is my approach to kits.   
I have mine to start and will use the decals provided for the aircraft that are included in the Richthofen Wingnut kit of the Albatros DVa. 
Andrew. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Duncan, don't bother painting it. Get yourself a set of Voss decals from Richard at Aviattic. The streaking has been matched perfectly to photo's of the actual machine and he also does a very nice PE set for it. Regards, Pete in RI.

Edited by europapete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

    Duncan, if you're feeling flush I'd also get some of the Aerocraft cast brass struts. I've not heard of anyone having the undercarriage  buckle yet, but several people have had one or more wing struts go on them, although in  at least two cases this was helped by acceleration due to gravity. Still not started mine but seriously considering getting a set to replace the banana centre strut, which while I'm sure will straighten out okay may not be that robust afterwards.

 

  Last Scale Modelworld Richard was selling off streaky camo sheets for the 1/32nd Roden kit dirt cheap due to a teensy-weensy error that wouldn't bother anyone but him, so out of interest I got one. Normally I paint Fokker streaky camo, for the therapeutic effects if nothing else, but having had a good look at this sheet am impressed, and now he's re-tailored his sheets for the Meng kit I'd think it was a must-have. A lot of money but well worth it. This has been a public service announcement. Click.

 

Paul.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50621494251_31da2e8764_b.jpg 50620751058_321b790e19_b.jpg


Hello Duncan, I have just completed the old Revell 1/48 scale Dr1 

I used the Avitattic streaked camo decals for the Dr1 and they were excellent.  I can wholeheartedly recommend them.  
Otto Esswein aircraft - May 1918.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

You guys, those streaks are not difficult to paint.

I agree and I need to try that too. I bought the Avitattic decals two years ago at Telford as I have always wanted to try them.  I think in future I will use the pale blue as the base on which to put the streaking camouflage.  The un doped linen is ok but I will try the alternative.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Would you use oil paints over a base coat for that?

 

Duncan B

I use olive green acrylics (any make that's to hand) over a glossy enamel CDL base, or blue in the case of an F.I. Then you can wipe off anything you're not happy with. There are one or two I prepared earlier at http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Thompson_P/CP/Fokker/index.html . They're all fairly old models - more recently I tend to blend the colours a bit more and it's easy enough to end at a similar result to the Aviattic decals.

 

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Unwise punctuation.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Would you use oil paints over a base coat for that?

 

Duncan B

 

yep, even I managed to do it using a selection of Abteilung browns and greens over an enamel 'linen' base...similar technique for the prop. Think it took about a week to dry though. With a bit of turps I highlighted the ribs for a nice effect too..(Eduard 48th). I was planning on getting it from you Duncan but put in a random ebay bid (Tim Perry was selling his ) and won.  (So not from China)

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...