Meng 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 triplane

Bear Paw

This is a post to ask what experience people have had if they have built this kit?  I have the Roden Dr1 in 1/32 scale so that I can use the decals that are included in the WNW Richthofen Albatros kit and so is this a better alternative?  
thanks Andrew. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

This is a post to ask what experience people have had if they have built this kit?  I have the Roden Dr1 in 1/32 scale so that I can use the decals that are included in the WNW Richthofen Albatros kit and so is this a better alternative?  
thanks Andrew. 

Officially, they haven't made it to the UK yet (but they are in transit). There may be a few examples floating around that individuals have bought and paid air freight from the Far East but I haven't seen any built up yet. There have been a couple of people posting photos of the kit parts on Facebook so they are starting to arrive but it's probably too early for anyone to have completed the kit yet.

Duncan B

Thanks for that Duncan, I didn’t realise they were not officially released in the uk yet. I am curious about what has been said that this is the WNW that didn’t make it into production. I will wait and see. 
Andrew. 

2 hours ago, DSWilson said:

The Meng review is on forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com 

Dave Wilson

Gold Coast

Australia

Hi Dave

Nice to see you here, the review is very interesting. Overall it seems up to what we would expect of a Wingnut Wings kit but I wonder if the small niggles like the flash on the tailplanes etc would have made it past the WnW QC without some tweaking of the moulds?

Duncan B

On 8/23/2020 at 11:20 AM, europapete said:

hi Andrew and Duncan, check over on Large Scale Planes forum, there are a couple of threads there with pics and comments from guys who actually have the kit already. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks Pete, I have checked those and it is very good information.  Thanks.  
From the photos I have seen of the sprues it does not look like a WNW kit to me?  The detail looks a bit soft, and the engineering looks different?  

Andrew. 

Edited by Bear Paw

9 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

Thanks Pete, I have checked those and it is very good information.  Thanks.  
From the photos I have seen of the sprues it does not look like a WNW kit to me?  The detail looks a bit soft, and the engineering looks different?  

Andrew. 

I wonder if it had been through any QC at WnW before the doors shut or if it was still in manufacture? That might explain why there are some details that aren't quite what you'd expect to see as what's good enough for massed production by Meng might not have been good enough for PJ. Pure speculation on my part of course but we do know the Lancaster was delayed because the tooling was sent back to the tool manufacturer for some rework (as stated by WnW in an email to their Retailers back in late 2019).

Duncan B

• Like 3

That seems like a feasible scenario Duncan.  I too heard that the Lancaster had been in development for over 10 years. The delay was caused by constant improvements to the sprues, the last one being the addition of the stressed skin.  
I heard this from the Australian On the Bench podcast when they did an interview an employee that had been with WNW from the beginning in 2009.  
The model is probably nearly ready for production but will now will not see the light of day.  
Andrew. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I wonder if it had been through any QC at WnW before the doors shut or if it was still in manufacture? That might explain why there are some details that aren't quite what you'd expect to see as what's good enough for massed production by Meng might not have been good enough for PJ. Pure speculation on my part of course but we do know the Lancaster was delayed because the tooling was sent back to the tool manufacturer for some rework (as stated by WnW in an email to their Retailers back in late 2019).

Duncan B

I totally agree Duncan.  I suspect they may have bought the proof tooling, design plans and rights, then rushed it into production.  Looking at the sprues on the review, it's obvious to me they're not of the normal standard of WNW, Meng are clearly going for volume and lower unit price over quality. 

I'm disappointed, if I'm honest and I'm now glad I didn't get caught in rush to purchase.  Being a Meng kit there'll be far more stock available, I'll wait to see what others make of the kit before making my decision as to whether to purchase.      

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

I totally agree Duncan.  I suspect they may have bought the proof tooling, design plans and rights, then rushed it into production.  Looking at the sprues on the review, it's obvious to me they're not of the normal standard of WNW, Meng are clearly going for volume and lower unit price over quality. 

I'm disappointed, if I'm honest and I'm now glad I didn't get caught in rush to purchase.  Being a Meng kit there'll be far more stock available, I'll wait to see what others make of the kit before making my decision as to whether to purchase.      

I'm not disappointed as it's still probably going to be a step up from what's currently available but I can understand that if it turns out not to be up to WnW standard (which is a tall order to ask for 99% of the kit Manufacturers anyway) then a lot of people's expectations might not be met. I do agree with you that the availability of stock going forward should be good and, like you, I am glad I never got caught up in the frenzy to buy in stock at any cost. I have ordered a much larger amount than I normally would for a mainstream kit and have sold them all to pre-order so have covered my costs but the temptation to double up was almost irresistible and would have put a lot of pressure on me, I am happy to wait for the second batch to appear before restocking.

I hope it sells well as maybe Meng might be tempted to produce another large scale WW1 subject in the future. Meng kits in general are at the better end of the quality range so that is a positive.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I agree it can only be a positive thing. Another decent manufacturer potentiality  in the large scale WWI aircraft market would be good.  

Andrew. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 07:40, Duncan B said:

I'm not disappointed as it's still probably going to be a step up from what's currently available but I can understand that if it turns out not to be up to WnW standard (which is a tall order to ask for 99% of the kit Manufacturers anyway) then a lot of people's expectations might not be met.

My disappointment is the chance that Meng has missed to turn out a kit as good as WNW for a more affordable price and in greater volumes.  Which would have allowed others a chance to sample the quality WNW attained and it will stop what was and now is ridiculous profiteering from some sellers!  

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Like 2

I had my hands on this kit yesterday and whilst it may have had its roots as a WNW kit, the QC isn't anywhere like the same. Some big attachment points and seams on main parts inc. a couple of prominent ejector pin marks inside the cockpit. The top wing looks like it has a slight warp too which will need addressing with the hot water treatment and bracing. The plastic seems 'softer' too.

The detail is nice but if it were in a WNW box and packaged as such, I would be disappointed thinking I had a 'so-so' copy and send it back for a replacement.

Decals are China produced ones too which means uncertain performance. Colour schemes are utterly bland and uninspiring along with the predictable MVR all red one.

Instructions are OK but cheap looking.

If this is representative of other companies being let loose with WNW moulds, it doesn't bode as well as modellers may have hoped for IF the Lancaster kits are ever released or any of the WNW back catalogue find their way into other companies hands.  

This really brings home what an (all round) bespoke company WNW were and their commitment to producing a kit and all round package that was as perfect as it can be. Their loss to the hobby will be with us for years to come and whilst eBay prices are high, I suspect a two tier system will develop in the years ahead where WNW popped kits are the default choice rather than any poor imitations.

Gary

• Like 4

I've got two in my hands, am working on one.  It's clear that this would have gone back for one more revision to the molds under WNW.  That being said, it clearly shows WNW engineering and detail.  The wing warpage is there, but it's not extreme...and it's in the same direction on all three wings.  And Meng included all the bits to do either a Dr.1 or an F.1, so you have some choices.  The bad news is that the directions don't include rigging instructions.

As for markings - well, whenever you talk Triplanes, you think of MvR's all-red machine.  Then Voss.  After that...allow me to suggest that the aftermarket decal companies will be doing markings for just about every Triplane built.

• Like 4

Why all the complaining? WNW dropped everything and ran for the exit. Meng picked up the pieces and did the best job that fits their operation to publish it. Be happy!

Happy? Yes, because there's only a very, very small group of modellers hard core enough to spend more than $50 on a big and super detailed but nevertheless quite small biplane that still needs to be assembled and painted. Solely designing your business model on that clearly hasn't worked. Meng is testing the waters to see if they can find a way. If not, then that's it. Back to square one. I applaud Meng, because this Dr 1 certainly won't appeal to young or new modellers, so it won't grow the number of people making models, which is what these companies really need.

A lot of complaining has little to do with modelling. If a kit has to be so perfect it builds itself, why not buy a ready-made one? They certainly are a lot cheaper and quite easy to upgrade to specific needs, by a modeller. There's even a company that sells proxy-Lego Dr 1s: the cheapest way to feed the need for the perfect fit. Add some glue and the itch of feeling like a modeller can even be scractched. Everyone else: embrace the triplane! (but of course the black one with the Camel engine, because we don't do OOB)

spacer.png

Edited by 48-Alone-Is-Great
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 48-Alone-Is-Great said:

Why all the complaining? WNW dropped everything and ran for the exit. Meng picked up the pieces and did the best job that fits their operation to publish it. Be happy!

Happy? Yes, because there's only a very, very small group of modellers hard core enough to spend more than $50 on a big and super detailed but nevertheless quite small biplane that still needs to be assembled and painted. Solely designing your business model on that clearly hasn't worked. Meng is testing the waters to see if they can find a way. If not, then that's it. Back to square one. I applaud Meng, because this Dr 1 certainly won't appeal to young or new modellers, so it won't grow the number of people making models, which is what these companies really need.

A lot of complaining has little to do with modelling. If a kit has to be so perfect it builds itself, why not buy a ready-made one? They certainly are a lot cheaper and quite easy to upgrade to specific needs, by a modeller. There's even a company that sells proxy-Lego Dr 1s: the cheapest way to feed the need for the perfect fit. Add some glue and the itch of feeling like a modeller can even be scractched. Everyone else: embrace the triplane! (but of course the black one with the Camel engine, because we don't do OOB)

spacer.png

An interesting reply to people’s posts there. I don’t think there is anything wrong with saying what could have been and what appears to be.  I am not sure what the Lego Dr1 comment has to do with the comments about the Meng Dr.1 but thank you for the information.  

Andrew. 

'Alone is great' - Why is constructive feedback about what one sees and perceives in the box, by default, interpreted by you as "complaining"? Where did I or anyone else simply pointing out not to expect WNW quality in a Meng box - I  fully accept also that it isn't a WNW price kit - say it had (petty) dimensional issues, poor parts, bad fit or anything else resulting in a 'don't buy this kit' submission?

If no one ever said what they perceive could have been improved upon and gave customer FB back to model companies, we would all still be buying our model kits in plastic bags at the newsagents and "details" such as the cockpit would still comprise of the one piece pilot figure molded in an armchair stuck against one side of the cockpit wall.....!

Gary

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Asmodai said:

Might want to check your kits over when you get them. There’s a fair number of reports of damage/short shot on one of the wing parts. Check this thread out - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/problem-found-with-the-new-meng-1-32-fokker-dr-1-m-t517732.html

It's not a short shot, what's happening with some of the kits is that the part is breaking off in the packaging. Meng are already aware of the problem and are asking all their Distributors to report back with how many they are being made aware of so Meng can make arrangements to have the replacement parts in place. I will be checking all of my stock before dispatching them out to the customers. I have used Meng's replacement service in the past and am very confident that spares, if required, will not be an issue.

As an aside the US Distributor appears to have had their stock airfreighted from HK (which is why they are appearing there first) while the official UK stock is still in transit by ship. I understand there are examples of the kit already in the UK but these will not be from the official UK Import system so whether they will be able to receive support from the UK Importers if they have issues is another question (another good reason to buy from a UK Retailer).

Duncan B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, 48-Alone-Is-Great said:

Eceryone else: embrace the triplane! (but of course the black one with the Camel engine, because we don't do OOB)

I think people are complaining because they are sad that the WNW story is past and will likely not be continued by Meng. Disappointment makes complaints come easily (and well, nobody likes broken parts). Even if it’s not a WNW price tag people will inevitably compare with WNW anyway, bedding for an unfair judgement.

I have not bought it so I cannot say anything about it, I’m not too big of a fan of the type (but I do have a little black one with a Camel engine sitting on my shelf 😛).

Edited by Torbjorn

• 3 weeks later...

The Mengnut is a terrific little kit. I have three, supplied direct from Hong Kong and couldn't wait to get started on one. One of the guys on Dave W's site has already completed an example. See link below and link from that to his build log which will tell you all you need to know about how good this release 

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11507.0

Edited by Macsporran
  • Like 2

Meng appear to have delivered all of Europe's stock of these kits on one ship as the whole of the European Dealer network has lit up like a Christmas tree. The good news for those patiently waiting is that I am expecting my order to arrive here in the next day or so  tonight (25th Sept) at 8pm (looks like it'll be a late night) and for my pre-orders to be dispatched over the weekend or early next week. I hope to have some extra for general sales too.

Duncan B

• Like 2