PollyS and PollyScale

dogsbody

Good day. I have just started using my airbrush after some brief testing about 30 years ago. So far, I've sprayed some Tamiya and Gunze-Sangyo acrylics with pretty good results, using their propriety thinners

I have a a goodly stash of both Polly paints and was wondering about airbrushing them. Can they be sprayed? What should be used as a thinner. Would a flow inhancer/ drying retarder be used?

Cheis

I'm not what you'd call a fan of acrylics, but to this day, I think that the Polly Scale and Aeromaster acrylics were the best I've encountered. They're so easy to use and can be brush painted and airbrushed equally well. I wish that some other company would buy whatever formula they used. It's just too good to be lost to history.

I mostly thinned with distilled or deionised water (though tap water is fine), to the consistency of semi-skimmed milk or thereabouts. It's worth adding a drop or two of retarder to prevent nozzle clog but if you use the Ultimate Products thinner, you probably won't need any retarder.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark. I've got a gallon of distilled water and three different arstist type retarders. I've also got Tamiya Retarder and something I just picked up from Vallejo.

36190118136_6e40cb71cd_z.jpg

Chris

Talk about jealous. There was one acrylic paint I almost gave up enamel for, and it was Polly scale. What a paint, and what a pack of idiots for canceling it. I second the motion that the formula has to be out there somewhere, nothing water based ever came close.

Enjoy it while you have it mate.

• Like 1

That's a good stash! I still have a good number of Polly S  and Aeromaster acrylics and even as an avowed enamel user, if I come across them on eBay I'll often snap them up if I can.

I remember when my local model shop told me that they'd been discontinued, I panic-bought as many as I could though in retrospect, I wish I'd bought more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have a a goodly stash of both Polly paints and was wondering about airbrushing them. Can they be sprayed?

Best ever, whether brushed or airbrushed. I still have some left and will be extremely sad when they eventually run out.  All I ever need to do is add a drop of distilled water.

• Like 1