Eduard 1/48 Mirage IIIC, Djibouti

Hi gents,

A little progress:

- Vallejo German Dark Yellow primer applied.

- White highlights applied to simulate directional light later on.

- Sticking with my Complementary Pre-shading method and experimenting further, I pre-shaded with purple as it is in the complementary color range to the base color (Vallejo Middlestone) and also to the dark yellow primer.

Apologies for awful photos. My phone camera is not very talented. :)

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents,

A few steps down the line in experimenting with my Complementary Pre-Shading method:

First couple of very thin passes of Vallejo Middlestone over the purple and white pre-shading scheme.

The paint withdrew from the panel lines in some spots (maybe it has something to do with it being very thin) but no worries, since more layers are coming along with panel line washes.

The color varies in the photos due to my bad phone camera and different lighting conditions. I tried to get it as best as I could.

I like it so far. We'll see.

You be the judges. Comments are very welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Up to this point, the hardest thing for me is controlling the base coat coverage. The effect seems to work in certain areas, while disappearing form other. 

One thing I like about it is that it creates grays and darker tones which are richer in color that would be with just black, like in painting, as shading with black and tinting with white dulls the vibrance of the colours.

I might use complementary postshading to try and enhance the effect, or even try complementary basing to see what it creates.

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Hi gents,

Base coat finished - a few more thin coats of Vallejo Middlestone applied, followed by lightened version of the same, with a yellow filter applied over the whole model in the end. 

I like the color modulation, but in some areas I have lost the pre-shading effect which I will have to regain with post-shading later on.

Next - masking of the camo pattern and painting the second colour.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Christer A said:

"Nothing really special"

It looks amazing! 

And thanks to you I started to look if I'm able to paint my IIIC or not, but I'm apparently not ready for the top side yet.

Hi Christer, 

Thanks, appreciated! :)

By nothing special I meant that nothing much is going on yet. Real fun starts soon (I hope) with decals, filtering, more color modulation, post shading, salt, etc... :)

What do you mean by not ready to paint the top side? Still preparing the surface or...? Didn't you prime it already or I remember wrong? I know that you are also building a Tornado, right? 

Best, 

Nikola

59 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Great job nikola, did you use blu tack to mask?

Thanks Hewy! Glad you like it so far. :)

Yes, I used blu tack, masking tape and liquid mask in some places. Blu tack technique I used for the first time and learned a valuable lesson - I should have had the same thickness of the blu tack sausage all around. In places where it was thinner the demarcation line is too sharp, almost a hard edge. 

Live and learn. :)

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

What do you mean by not ready to paint the top side? Still preparing the surface or...? Didn't you prime it already or I remember wrong? I know that you are also building a Tornado, right? 

Best, 

Nikola

I just had look at it, and it seems that I need to attach a HUD, canopy and so on, then the topside will be ready for primer.

Yeah, I'm also building a Tornado, and a Hornet, and a few others. This idea of focusing on just one project at a time is for wimps 😎

Can't wait for your next update on your IIIC though!

5 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I just had look at it, and it seems that I need to attach a HUD, canopy and so on, then the topside will be ready for primer.

Yeah, I'm also building a Tornado, and a Hornet, and a few others. This idea of focusing on just one project at a time is for wimps 😎

Can't wait for your next update on your IIIC though!

I know and I admit it, I am a first class wimp, haha. 

I don't dare start multiple builds yet. I just know that I will probably finish none because just as I escape work and come home I have a 7y old Hellcat and a 2y old Spitfire right on my tail until they run out of fuel, just about the same time I do as well. 😀

One day, one day... :)

Best,

Nikola

• Haha 1

Spending my working day bouncing back and forth between half a dozen projects at the same time, coming home (or 50% of the time just turning around now, since one is working from home) to try to follow the whims and wishes of a wife, a 15 year old daughter and  a son at 11 is not so relaxing either. As a bonus, we're in the process of building a house...

So sometimes one just need to unwind and relax by just sticking a few pieces of plastic together, which is most often found in new boxes :clown:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

Spending my working day bouncing back and forth between half a dozen projects at the same time, coming home (or 50% of the time just turning around now, since one is working from home) to try to follow the whims and wishes of a wife, a 15 year old daughter and  a son at 11 is not so relaxing either. As a bonus, we're in the process of building a house...

So sometimes one just need to unwind and relax by just sticking a few pieces of plastic together, which is most often found in new boxes :clown:

You are dealing with a more experienced enemy, aces I would say, haha. Tough one! 

I envy you guys with multiple builds going on! I got to give it a shot at some point, what the heck, see how it goes and hope not to get too confused from all the chaos and lose and mix parts, etc... :) Maybe with one of HB's easy assemblies. 

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 1

Beautiful paintwork Nikola, the uniformity of the overspray on the disruptive pattern is amazing, I've never had much success with Blu-tac.

I have a multiple build of two Mirages, an F1 and a -2000 and both have stalled due to a serious lack of mojo, so I'm sorting out about a hundred kit given to me by a friend.

Keep up the good work.

Stay safe.

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents,

A little update:

- First pass of post shading done. I used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Flat Black and Purple. This time I did Complementary Post Shading for the first time. :) 

- Also for the first time I did some light sanding and buffing of the camo colors (screwed up in couple of places of course and had to fix that, relatively ok).

Next few steps:

- Main decals

- Tinting and shading using salt technique

- Overall filter to tie it all together

Thanks for looking guys.

Best,

Nikola 

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After salt filtering...

Next is the yellow filter to tie it all together a bit better followed by a clear coat.

After that come the washes, some more post tinting and shading, and all that jazz.

The decals are very thin and a bit fiddly to work with, so of course I messed up one of the musketeer tail fin decals after masking (was stupid enough not to clear coat after decals even though I know that I should, just lazy) and am now waiting for another sheet to arrive.

Decals look great after a clear flat coat is put on as the carrier film cannot be seen at all.

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve never used this technique but it certainly seems to work for you, I’m surprised you only lost one decal.

John

Hi John,

I actually lost one more (small number 87 on the left side of the tail fin) and damaged another small one, but these are not as significant as the musketeer.  Just plain stupidity. :)

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Hi gents,

It's a slow progress so gotta post something :)

Added black, brown and gray washes followed by a flat coat. I initially washed it with black only but to me it was too vivid, strong and too uniform colour wise so I tamed it with grays and brown. It still is a bit strong in some areas. 

Next: Scuff marks, some minimal chips, maybe gunk wash in some areas, some streaks...

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...